Why does Vegeta still call himself Prince?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Why does Vegeta still call himself Prince?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:55 pm

He's the direct son of the king and I dont see his brother being King. So why hasnt he called himself King? Even if there was Freeza he too is dead... and then came back but that's not the point!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why does Vegeta still call himself Prince?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:20 pm

I feel like this must actually be one of the most legitimately frequently asked questions of any possible Dragon Ball FAQs! :lol:

No good answer. The two most common thoughts I see out there are:

- "Prince" was the last formal title he had before the decimation of the planet and race, so it's kinda frozen in time there

- He still keeps a fair bit of Saiyan pride and sub-pride of his royalty status is part of that so he keeps referring to himself that way

- There's no population to preside over anymore so he doesn't upgrade himself to "King"
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:16 pm

He should call himself The Saiyan Formerly Known as Prince

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:20 pm

His entire race and culture was swept from under him before he ever could ever become King. The title as it were would be worthless. The Saiyan race was a thing of the past and Vegeta's Princehood was the last remaining relic he could hold onto.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:42 am

His planet is destroyed, majority of his species is exterminated, and the remaining saiyans don't care about following him. He shouldn't even call himself "Prince" anymore and does it just out of ego.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:23 am

For the very same reason Freeza isn't referred as "Prince Freeza". It's an overlooked detail. I'd argue it's generated by the "necessity" of having "kings" in all races (weirdly enough, we don't see many "queens" and "princesses" out there... We are talking about aliens, but even so).

Speaking of which, it contradicts all arguments presented here. For all we know, Freeza race is still alive. And even if they weren't, King Cold is still referred as "King Cold".

(Shoutout to Cooler never being called "Prince Cooler" too).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:25 am

Technically, Goku should be his subject. As should Broly.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:57 am

It's never explained in-universe, but most likely because the Saiyans entire civilization was eradicated by Freeza before Vegeta could become king, and "Prince" is the last badge of honour he officially received that he could hold on to.

An argument could also be made Vegeta does it to spite Goku, someone considered a low class warrior, especially when he becomes a Super Saiyan first.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:20 pm I feel like this must actually be one of the most legitimately frequently asked questions of any possible Dragon Ball FAQs! :lol:

- "Prince" was the last formal title he had before the decimation of the planet and race, so it's kinda frozen in time there

- He still keeps a fair bit of Saiyan pride and sub-pride of his royalty status is part of that so he keeps referring to himself that way

- There's no population to preside over anymore so he doesn't upgrade himself to "King"
I believe it's his way of avoiding trauma. By calling himself prince, it would acknowledge that his father is truly gone and Vegeta doesn't want to break down and cope with that. So he keeps the prince title as a way of showing respect for his father and to avoid having to deal with the emotional trauma that he's bottled up for so many years.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:20 pm I feel like this must actually be one of the most legitimately frequently asked questions of any possible Dragon Ball FAQs! :lol:

I believe it's his way of avoiding trauma. By calling himself prince, it would acknowledge that his father is truly gone and Vegeta doesn't want to break down and cope with that. So he keeps the prince title as a way of showing respect for his father and to avoid having to deal with the emotional trauma that he's bottled up for so many years.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:44 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:13 pm

Shouldnt it be King? I mean shouldnt it be "By calling himself King, it would acknowledge that his father is truly gone and Vegeta doesn't want to break down and cope with that." The wording is off.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:32 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:16 pmHe should call himself The Saiyan Formerly Known as Prince
I second this.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:44 pm
Seekeroftruth wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:13 pm

Shouldnt it be King? I mean shouldnt it be "By calling himself King, it would acknowledge that his father is truly gone and Vegeta doesn't want to break down and cope with that." The wording is off.
Yes. I meant king. My wording is off. I will correct it.

Correction:

"I believe it's his way of avoiding trauma. By calling himself King, it would acknowledge that his father is truly gone and Vegeta doesn't want to break down and cope with that. So he keeps the prince title as a way of showing respect for his father and to avoid having to deal with the emotional trauma that he's bottled up for so many years."

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:44 am

Since he was born in a warrior culture and also being a prodigy, I believe that being a warrior and a prince is all he was to begin with, which is why he still calls himself a prince. It's his whole identity.

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:31 am

A ritual or coronation is usually required in order for a new King to be installed. With the planet and his people dead, there is no one really to give him an official coronation. So the title of Prince is stuck in time as was said.

There is also no reason for him to become a King as he has nothing to rule over aside from Nappa and Raditz. He should have taken Nappa up on his idea to reconstruct the Saiyan race using the human populace. I just mean from his own perspective.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:16 pm

Vegeta did follow the plan, he just knew consent is of the utmost importance and didnt want to rape any women. Vegeta is a champion for women's rights.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:06 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:16 pm Vegeta did follow the plan, he just knew consent is of the utmost importance and didnt want to rape any women. Vegeta is a champion for women's rights.
Huh? What does that have to do with his royal lineage?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:00 pm

Bloodthroe wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:31 am A ritual or coronation is usually required in order for a new King to be installed. With the planet and his people dead, there is no one really to give him an official coronation. So the title of Prince is stuck in time as was said.
I certainly can't speak for all monarchies, but we got to see a succession play out in our own world just recently. When Queen Elizabeth died, Charles immediately and automatically became the official king. Nothing had to happen to make him the king. He just was. The coronation that took place the following year meant absolutely nothing in that regard, and the UK wasn't without a monarch for all those intervening months.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:50 pm

I feel like this is one of those topics where people won't truly be satisfied until Toriyama is sat down and forced by an editor or Toyotaro or whoever to thoroughly explain it :P
Personally I go with the headcanon that's already been mentioned in here plenty of times, that he's frozen the title in place since the saiyan kingdom is gone. He holds on to what he has, or rather had, because that's connected to memories and history, but he has no reason to upgrade, it would mean nothing.
Jord wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:16 pm He should call himself The Saiyan Formerly Known as Prince
Frieza should call Vegeta this as an insult. :lol:
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:06 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:50 pm I feel like this is one of those topics where people won't truly be satisfied until Toriyama is sat down and forced by an editor or Toyotaro or whoever to thoroughly explain it :P
I think the fandom should get over having its hand held.

Can't really become King over a planet that no longer exist