The CW's ratings have officially reached rock bottom.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: The CW's ratings have officially reached rock bottom.

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:30 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:37 am
Lance Freeman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:50 am The CW was never really a popular major network to begin with, but they had a very dedicated audience. Of course, once streaming took off and they became a content farm for Netflix, that certainly helped balance the budget. Unfortunately, HBO Max decided they didn't want their stuff on a rival platform so they shut that down, and now the CW is being sold off for parts to Nexstar.
This. THIS SO MUCH. The worst part is that people THINK people hate reruns and so on but ION is filled to the brim with reruns (It gets 1.2 million viewers in prime time, much higher than the The CW) and MeTV is annihilating all the kids networks with their Toon In With Me block. No, what they hate is being slapped in the face after being faithful viewers and that's something The CW couldnt stop doing.
How were they being slapped in the face?

My issue with all of this is traditional TV business model of selling ads during the programming was financially viable and it got sacrificed at the alter for streaming which as it turns out is a money pit - not shocking at all to anyone paying attention.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:45 am

I meant get rid of cheap programming that gets huge ratings (The various programs on Toonzai and Vortexx costed them nothing.) and replaced it with crap that everyone hates.

And to be fair to The CW their Superman show seems like a legit good show and is the last that actually has ratings that are huge for them.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:53 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:34 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:02 pm This is the fanart I was talking about. The only other explanation is grown adults drawing this and that's horrifyingly creepy.

https://www.metv.com/toon-in-with-me-fan-gallery
Adults drawing is horrifyingly creepy now?
It's not the "adults drawing" part, it's the "adults drawing in a fashion that looks very similar to that of a young child's" part.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:50 pm God I REALLY want DBZ Kai on MeTV.
I dunno...I think it'd be very strange to randomly have a refreshed broadcast of a 1990s Shonen anime appear on a TV channel that specializes in shows from the 1950s to 1980s, with six different sister networks.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:11 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:53 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:34 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:02 pm This is the fanart I was talking about. The only other explanation is grown adults drawing this and that's horrifyingly creepy.

https://www.metv.com/toon-in-with-me-fan-gallery
Adults drawing is horrifyingly creepy now?
It's not the "adults drawing" part, it's the "adults drawing in a fashion that looks very similar to that of a young child's" part.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:50 pm God I REALLY want DBZ Kai on MeTV.
I dunno...I think it'd be very strange to randomly have a refreshed broadcast of a 1990s Shonen anime appear on a TV channel that specializes in shows from the 1950s to 1980s, with six different sister networks.
God bless you. I really didnt know how to put it into words so I thank you kindly. I was about to point out Dragon Ball is from the 80's but I remembered DBZ only aired for one year in the 80's. So touche.

I wish I hadnt opened so many uttterly dumb threads on this particular subject or at least explained it better because the potential for anime to air in a broadcast Diginet is indeed enormous. In fact I hate the fact that I overtalked about this topic and probably soured everyone here on it. Because these nets are so cheap to just fill with reruns and contrary to popular belief reruns do have a lot of power, these networks that are fully free to watch and thus all you need is a digital over the air antenna and there you go. These networks are extremely popular with cordcutters, people who simply dont have any sort of cable or streaming service, a demographic that has genuinely grown explosively over the years. I know Streaming is king but cordcutting is also growing a lot. And to an advertiser, who doesnt really hve any sort of love for streaming services these are the only sort of tv channesl that have seen explosive growth... or just growth period.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:48 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:50 pm God I REALLY want DBZ Kai on Me TV. I would go with DBZ but the dub is horrid.
Me TV is a channel for the baby boomer generation. It won't work well over there.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:05 pm

I know and I've given up on Dragon Ball airing on it... But I wont give up on it airing Boomer anime. And I MOST CERTAINLY wont give up on it airing on some mainstream Digital Sub network. They are genuinely growing in popularity and DBZ would be THE I win button they would need to make a new diginet a hit. And if you ask "Well why would you want that? Kids already have the internet" not everyone can afford it. And the demographic that is unhappy with streaming IS growing explosively and that's genuinely true. Many watch police procedurals with their kids because they have no other option available. And I would love it if both grandparents and Grandkids watched it because it would be a healthy and cute bonding experience... Instead of them watching the most evil highest rated cable network: FOX NEWS.

But rest assured I will stop posting about it all the time. Just that you guys wont get soured and tired of the idea because of me constantly talking about it. I will still talk about it but only a little.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:13 am

Wow! The ratings for The CW are actually recovering. That may not sound like a big deal but most networks ratings just go down. For a while the rating are actually climbing back up.

https://ustvdb.com/networks/cw/

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:20 pm

No offense but what does this have to do with Dragon Ball? Kai on Toonzai hasn’t been a thing for years

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:39 pm

Yeah I mean….who watches anime on network television?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:19 pm

I do, since it does still air where I live. I wanted to post again to see if anyone would post in response. That was going to be my last post on the topic if no one responded but people did. I wanted to show that while I am bitter about the whole cancelation thing I am glad they are turning things around.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:00 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:19 pm I do, since it does still air where I live. I wanted to post again to see if anyone would post in response. That was going to be my last post on the topic if no one responded but people did. I wanted to show that while I am bitter about the whole cancelation thing I am glad they are turning things around.
fair enough. Apologies.

CyanRonEX

Post by CyanRonEX » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:04 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:50 pm God I REALLY want DBZ Kai on Me TV. I would go with DBZ but the dub is horrid.
Honestly that would be soooo weird but would make a nice thing to catch on TV at my grandpa's place on the weekends (he only has a basic antenna tv with like 4 channels but i only visit him like 2-3 times a month). Honestly MeTV's got a pretty good lineup of stuff compared to most "classic" tv channels, Hell I decided to watch Godzilla King of Monsters on there back in October (shoutouts to Svengoolie).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:40 pm

I know its weird but I know DBZ is a big hit, no matter where it airs it always draws an audience. The closest I've seen to seeing it "Flop" is Adult Swim Latin America OVER RERUNNING it to the point people are probably sick of it... but forget kids LOVE watching the same thing over and over and their favorite shows. My niece loves Adult Swim for this reason.

And I want to tell people who think "Well this is not in line with the theme of the channel" the theme of the channel is NEVER relevant to broadcasters. Sure, it is nice to be a niche one themed channel because that way you can both attract a healthy audience without the pressure a mainstream channel would go through. And it worked! Me TV now does 1 million with Svengoolie! But you guys forget broadcasters dont really care about theme and more about what is profitable. The list of channels that have abandoned their themes for more profits is in the thousands. AMC was a movie channel before they hit it big with The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. If Me TV aired DBZ and it was such a success it reshaped the channel it would be awesome lol. And keep in mind DBZ Kai, edited to death in a "Shitty dead end timeslot" did 1.1 million viewers on the CW, this doesnt sound like much but then you see their biggest show sees 500k AT BEST and only recently did The CW see more than that with a football game that did 1.3 million viewers.

CyanRonEX

Post by CyanRonEX » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:21 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:40 pm I know its weird but I know DBZ is a big hit, no matter where it airs it always draws an audience. The closest I've seen to seeing it "Flop" is Adult Swim Latin America OVER RERUNNING it to the point people are probably sick of it... but forget kids LOVE watching the same thing over and over and their favorite shows. My niece loves Adult Swim for this reason.

And I want to tell people who think "Well this is not in line with the theme of the channel" the theme of the channel is NEVER relevant to broadcasters. Sure, it is nice to be a niche one themed channel because that way you can both attract a healthy audience without the pressure a mainstream channel would go through. And it worked! Me TV now does 1 million with Svengoolie! But you guys forget broadcasters dont really care about theme and more about what is profitable. The list of channels that have abandoned their themes for more profits is in the thousands. AMC was a movie channel before they hit it big with The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. If Me TV aired DBZ and it was such a success it reshaped the channel it would be awesome lol. And keep in mind DBZ Kai, edited to death in a "Shitty dead end timeslot" did 1.1 million viewers on the CW, this doesnt sound like much but then you see their biggest show sees 500k AT BEST and only recently did The CW see more than that with a football game that did 1.3 million viewers.
Honestly I'd be open to see it happen. Another thing is the licensing cost as well, Dragon Ball would mostly cost way more to license out then old 60s TV shows ever would cost. I think nowadays with the rise of streaming and free streaming services like Tubi making anime more and more accessible by the days, Having local tv airings of anime wouldn't make much sense as most likely the only people still watching over the air local tv are old people who probably don't watch a lot of TV anyways. It made sense with Kai and Toonzai/Vortexx on CW in the early 2010s since back then most children still watched over the air television and it help expose Dragon Ball to more people. Nowadays It would probably do ok at best but nowhere near what it did then.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:30 pm

The ratings for The CW are improving now, a new show scored over 700k! I wonder what they are doing to achieve such hugh ratings

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:46 am

Wonder if CW could get Daima? Dragon Ball hasn't been on a kids channel since Vortexx shut down and they stopped airing Kai, which was nearly a decade ago.

Adult Swim is not currently airing Super and they're only moving on Kai episode 9 this Saturday, so it will be a while until they get through it. TOEI don't want to be getting themselves into the same mess they were in before where, for whatever reason, Super couldn't be aired in the US until the current channel running Dragon Ball at least wrapped up the first part of Kai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:32 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:46 am Wonder if CW could get Daima?
CW hasn't aired any kids shows in a good while now so uhhh probably not

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm

People don't want to admit that cable TV is mostly dead. It was on already on decline a decade ago, but now it feels almost pointless since many shows are on streaming the next day.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 pm

I think linear TV is going the way of physical media, it will still exist but be more for traditionalists.

Super got better ratings on Pop in 2019 than Kai did in 2012-14 on Kix, so it can still have a resurgence now and then.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm

Physical Media has its uses that streaming doesn't provide (namely you own it). There really isn't anything cable provides that you don't get from streaming. I wouldn't really compare the two.