Toyotarou Is creatively bankrupt

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Toyotarou Is creatively bankrupt

Post by Skar » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:06 am

I remember another YouTuber who considered the Moro arc the best in DBS but you can probably completely opposite opinions for every arc. My opinion doesn't matter much. I personally enjoyed the Moro arc more than the ToP and Goku Black arcs overall. I can reread most of the Moro arc while only rewatching a few scenes I liked from the others.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Toyotarou Is creatively bankrupt

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:26 am

Also how is this Toyotarou's problem? I was under the impression that Toriyama was doing the broad strokes of the story? If I'm wrong someone correct me, but I figured what was going on here is that Toriyama will be like "here's what happens in this arc" and then Toyotarou finalizes and draws? Toriyama has a writing credit at the beginning of each chapter.

Either way I generally enjoyed the Moro arc even if Moro himself does seem like several previous villains combined. The fights were cool and I really enjoyed Merus.
Vegard Aune wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:00 pm
Grimlock wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:59 pm So all in all, we are stuck with the very same setting, with the very same background and with very same characters. And for how long? Well, according to Kanzenshuu, for sixty damned and long weeks! No wonder everything about it is boring! It's sixty weeks of non-progression, endless battles that we know everything is going to be fine, and that we are going to go back to square one at the end of it. It's insane! :crazy: I have to question the sanity of those who liked this. Are you okay!? Are you sure you don't need medical attention!?
The arc as a whole was 60 episodes. The actual tournament was 33. Which is still a lot of time spent in the same setting with the same background and the same largely inconsequential characters, sure, but it's barely over half of what you just characterized it as.
I remember the whole "Goku recruits everyone" filler arc being particularly excruciating lmaoo, but I don't remember anything in the actual tournament dragging much. Sometimes the fights felt campy due to the bad animation, but I don't think there was a fight that got waaaay more time than it should've.