The idea of Redeeming Nappa. How do you feel about this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The idea of Redeeming Nappa. How do you feel about this?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:51 am

Okay let's try this again.

I like Nappa, but I never knew until recently that there was a faction of the fandom that genuinely wanted to redeem him. Contrary to the other thread I made that got immediately closed due to really shitty wording. I DONT hate Nappa or think he's a rapist. I wanted to be tongue in cheek and failed to account for a light hearted tongue in cheek tone failing to be conveyed in text. That was 255% my fault. Mea culpa, Mala mia, sorry.

But still, this is a more interesting and less controversial topic that we could discuss and one that isnt just ridiculous shitposting.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Skar
I Live Here

Re: The idea of Redeeming Nappa. How do you feel about this?

Post by Skar » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:28 am

I think Raditz and Nappa were slightly less evil than Vegeta at the time. At least they had some camaraderie since Nappa initially assumed they were going to resurrect Raditz with the DBs and surprised when Vegeta betrayed him. It's similar to Bardock who cared about his team but not any of the innocent civilians they slaughter.

Raditz and Nappa could've been redeemed if Toriyama wanted but I think he only considered Vegeta useful to keep alive. I guess it also came down to luck for Vegeta. Goku assumed the Spirit Bomb was going to be enough to kill Vegeta then when Gohan went Oozaru so Vegeta was only spared because he gave up and left. If Vegeta kept fighting, Goku probably wouldn't have stopped Krillin. Goku tried sparing Raditz but had no choice but to kill him in the end since Raditz wasn't giving up.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:44 am

There's FighterZ Story Mode if you want to see how a "good" Nappa would act like.

But personally, I wouldn't want to see him redeemed. His whole appearance reminds me of the cruel way he treated the Z-Fighters, which is arguably one of the most brutal beatdowns in the series, and it's just.. I wouldn't want to see him sit at Capsule Corp drinking tea with rest of the characters, not after what he's done.

Yes, even Frieza is half-redeemed these days, but for his defense his design doesn't give off brutal vibes like Nappa's.

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:53 am

There's too many saiyan characters already that they under utilize. I also wouldn't want them to bring any saiyans back just to have them learn SSJ easily. Everytime they have a saiyan unlock SSJ without effort, it somehow degrades what Goku and Vegeta accomplished.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:15 am

I don't think it's impossible but Nappa seems too dumb to have the self-awareness and introspective capability Vegeta did to change. Then again, Piccolo Jr was also dumb as a brick in his introduction and got softly retconned as a genius.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:28 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:15 am I don't think it's impossible but Nappa seems too dumb to have the self-awareness and introspective capability Vegeta did to change. Then again, Piccolo Jr was also dumb as a brick in his introduction and got softly retconned as a genius.
When was Piccolo Jr shown to be "dumb as a brick" in his introduction?

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:32 am

When Nappa briefly returned in GT, they, dare I say, missed an opportunity to have Vegeta say that he had undergone a fair amount of changes since their last parting.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:50 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:28 am
Yuji wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:15 am I don't think it's impossible but Nappa seems too dumb to have the self-awareness and introspective capability Vegeta did to change. Then again, Piccolo Jr was also dumb as a brick in his introduction and got softly retconned as a genius.
When was Piccolo Jr shown to be "dumb as a brick" in his introduction?
Piccolo wasn't very smart during the 23rd Budokai. Goku outsmarted him at every turn, even Kuririn did in their fight multiple times. He was pretty much a brute, certainly not the tactical genius the series later portrays him as.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:36 pm

I don't see the point in doing so.

Nappa was just a big dumb brute with nothing else to him. Let him remain a villain.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:21 pm

Characters like Radditz and Nappa sever their role in the series. Radditz was meant to show that other powerful threats exist beyond Earth. Nappa's role was to show how powerful he was. He killed Piccolo, and help kill the other Z figthers. Even Nappa's cameo in GT was show to how much Vegeta has changed since the Saiyan Saga. Vegeta offer him to leave and redeem himself, but Nappa wanted Vegeta dead.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:27 pm

I don't want to see any past villains redeemed. I like redemptions in Dragon Ball, but I don't want to see the concept cheapened, which is what will happen if its overdone. It also works for certain characters.

Piccolo because of the bond he developed with Gohan while Goku was dead and becoming the new Guardian of Earth before Dende. Vegeta learned to love the Earth and its people because he lost all that when his own planet was destroyed. Boo became nice comic relief and gave the widower Mister Satan a friend for life. I'm open to being proven wrong, but I don't know what a redemption for Nappa could do for the story.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:20 am

I could see Raditz being redeemed, returning as Goku's brother. Hell, it would be awesome to see a fanfic about him somehow being revived and, due to being in hell, and also remembering his loving mother Gine (I could see how he became like that, being raised by soldiers/warriors).
He can become a recluse, or a fun uncle, and become stronger with the help of Goku.

But Nappa has no real connection to the other characters. Vegeta wouldn't have anything to do with him and every other character hates him.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:07 pm

Godo wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:20 am I could see Raditz being redeemed, returning as Goku's brother. Hell, it would be awesome to see a fanfic about him somehow being revived and, due to being in hell, and also remembering his loving mother Gine (I could see how he became like that, being raised by soldiers/warriors).
He can become a recluse, or a fun uncle, and become stronger with the help of Goku.

But Nappa has no real connection to the other characters. Vegeta wouldn't have anything to do with him and every other character hates him.
If Raditz was a common recurring character? Sure, I guess, why not. But, depsite his relation to Goku he'd a pretty damn insignificant character in the grand scheme of things. Bringing him back all of a sudden just to reform him would feel random as hell and pretty damn fan servicey

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:48 pm

I don't like it because not only has that time passed, the purpose he serves in the story is better than yet another redemption story. He gave a great memorable fight, established the threat of the villains, and showed the depth of their wickedness. The Saiyans are so evil, they don't even care about their family.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:51 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:48 pm I don't like it because not only has that time passed, the purpose he serves in the story is better than yet another redemption story. He gave a great memorable fight, established the threat of the villains, and showed the depth of their wickedness. The Saiyans are so evil, they don't even care about their family.
This and it's always fun to see Toriyama break the rules/standard storytelling conventions.

In any other story the evil brother is usually the biggest baddest villain of the story not the opening act for the real villains who themselves are small potatoes to the REAL true villain.

Evil sibling is redeemed by familial love is also stupid common

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:00 pm

I forgot to say this in the opening post but I also wanted to bring up people who wish he had been redeemed at the moment, not years later.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:53 pm

Godo wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:20 amI could see Raditz being redeemed, returning as Goku's brother.
I wouldn't mind that, but I doubt it's ever going to happen, since there is a brother of a main character alive (Tarble), and we never see him, either. Hell, we barely even know that Bulma has a sister...

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:18 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:48 pmThe Saiyans are so evil, they don't even care about their family.
Even Freeza's people are better in that regard.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:14 pm

Personally, I think it would be pointless to wish him back.

There's a strong possibility that as soon as he notices about how much Vegeta has changed from the Saiyan Saga, he won't agree and will try to rebel against Vegeta.

And we all know how it will end. A single blast and Nappa's gone.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:30 pm

I would rather have new characters instead of always brining back old ones.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/