Does anyone know anything about the "Christian dub" of Dragon Ball Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Does anyone know anything about the "Christian dub" of Dragon Ball Z?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:26 pm

So we all knew this day was coming, Dragon Ball is just that one anime that can just never have enough English dubs, and now we know of at least one more.

Fellow Irish YouTuber Totally Not Mark recently brought to our attention there is indeed a Christian dub that was apparently recorded around 2004 by an Evangelical Church as a parody to promote an event they were holding at the time.

This is really bizarre, but interesting nonetheless. As a lapsed Catholic/agnostic myself I had never heard of such a concept, although granted Evangelicalism is a subsection of Protestantism. If anything I would have thought churches would avoid anything related to Dragon Ball or anime in general, but here we are.

God (no pun intended) only knows how many more English dubs could be out there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does anyone know anything about the "Christian dub" of Dragon Ball Z?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:43 pm

Churches do all sorts of "Hi do you do fellow kids? You like [insert popular secular thing with kids and teens here]? Well what if THEY told you about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?"

I don't think there's anything noteworthy about this and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Churches did something with DBZ in the early 2000s to get their message.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:07 pm

From the clips that were shown, I kinda like it, as far as parody dubs are concerned.
Propaganda? Sure. But they seemed to be having some legitimate fun with it, wouldn't mind seeing more.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:49 pm

That is admittedly funny, but if it’s not an officially licensed dub or even a bootleg like the Speedy dub, then as Masenko said, I don’t think it’s anything noteworthy.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:37 am

I was about to make the "Toshio Furukawa and Shino Kakinuma are Christians, the Japanese dub is the Christian dub" but then I remembered I loathe it when people say the Japanese version is a dub and I stopped myself lol.

They Play Piccolo and Videl (I wonder if she knew its meant to be an anagram for Devil.)

Oh and she only played her in Kai and a version of Battle Of The Gods.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:17 am

This reminds me of this another unofficial English dub made by this organization from the U.S. called Boys and Girls' club where one guy from these forums worked at

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:36 am

Kaioshin Curt's videos would combine dragon ball and bible verses. Dragon ball is so popular that even well stablished religions would consider it.

But

Did they dub the entire series? Some episodes? An edited compilation of several different ones?

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:58 am

I wasn't expecting Karin to be named Regular Cat
she/they.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:52 am

Tian wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:17 am This reminds me of this another unofficial English dub made by this organization from the U.S. called Boys and Girls' club where one guy from these forums worked at
I thought of that too!!!!!! Wow time flies.

This appears to be less of a dub and more of a parody/abridged sort of deal. Like a series of commercials for the church or something.

I bet the people who made it had a lot of fun!