Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 95 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 95 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:24 pm

High quality images of Marron for y'all.

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:48 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:24 pm High quality images of Marron for y'all.

When is the full chapter coming out again?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:49 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:48 pm When is the full chapter coming out again?
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:06 amRelease Information:

JAPAN:
Date: July 21, 2023
Publication: V-Jump, September 2023 Issue
Cost: ¥640

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: July 20, 2023 (timed to the JP midnight-on-July-21st release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:18 am

No reason to debate on age or height: Toyo doesn't know too.

First panel: tall up to Android shoulders.
Second panel: due the horizon skew angle, tall up to 17 belly
Third panel: no wait, 17 is taller just slightly (10 cm?).

I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:29 pm

As expected, Orange Piccolo was the cliffhanger.

However, I don't recall the Gammas teaming up against Piccolo in the movie. Or Gohan saving Piccolo's ass. Maybe my memory is foggy or Toyo is actually taking some liberties with this.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:48 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:29 pm As expected, Orange Piccolo was the cliffhanger.

However, I don't recall the Gammas teaming up against Piccolo in the movie. Or Gohan saving Piccolo's ass. Maybe my memory is foggy or Toyo is actually taking some liberties with this.
The fight was very different here. Piccolo and Gamma 2 fought over a train in the movie. There weren't any team ups.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 pm

Probably some of the best action I've seen from Toyo in an action focused chapter of DBS, although some of the choreography is from the movie.

It's kinda funny seeing Orange Piccolo making his grand debut in a colourless medium :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 pm

Is it possible Cell Max's activation may not be a cliffhanger after all? Gamma 2 should be dealt with relatively quickly next chapter, and then few pages of dialogue with the good guys, then he gets activated somewhere in the middle.

AndLad92

Post by AndLad92 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:00 pm

I definitely think the activation of Cell Max is going to be the cliffhanger of the next chapter. Toyo will somehow find a way to fill in some extra stuff, to make it happen :D (and I will be happy to see him do it).
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:52 pm

18 not knowing the identify of Kuririn's boss doesn't make any sense if he's been working with the police for some time by now, surely they had chances to get introduced to each other. I know that her jealousy is played for laughs, but come on.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:45 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 pm Is it possible Cell Max's activation may not be a cliffhanger after all? Gamma 2 should be dealt with relatively quickly next chapter, and then few pages of dialogue with the good guys, then he gets activated somewhere in the middle.
Not possible. We gotta have Pan beat up the goon quickly, then Hedo and Magenta's confrontation, while Krillin, Bulma, 18, Goten, and Trunks show up and have a bunch of dialogue, probably with a bonus scene or two

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:09 pm

I liked the way Toyotaro designed the battle scenes in this chapter. 2-page panels is difficult to read in mobile, but I could feel the impact this time in this chapter, contrary to other instances when he used them before.

My only complaint is that I was expecting a little more creativity with using Gohan. He was basically kicking and punching Gamma #1 around and diving behind his back all the time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:26 pm

The joke about #18 being jealous was bad.

We got teen Marron, though! Yay! I loved her look, it was very cute (I'm jealous).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:19 pm

As much as I enjoyed the fight choreography in this chapter, it somehow managed to drag what was 4 minutes in the film into 45 pages. That is absurd.

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:43 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:19 pm As much as I enjoyed the fight choreography in this chapter, it somehow managed to drag what was 4 minutes in the film into 45 pages. That is absurd.
I love long fight scenes. I would have loved this one too.... if I hadn't already seen it a year ago.
Planet Namek Bred

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:26 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:19 pm As much as I enjoyed the fight choreography in this chapter, it somehow managed to drag what was 4 minutes in the film into 45 pages. That is absurd.
I don’t know that that’s really worth looking at at this point. We already know the same plot beats exist in a more compact form in the film. This now has to function as a sufficiently proportioned climax for the whole manga arc starting with the Trunks-Goten chapters.

#18 in both versions of Super has been a struggle.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:06 am

Toyotaro being a good boy and showing us older Marron. There was some cool action flow in this chapter.

At this point is beating a dead horse but it has to be said, the pacing is trash! Every month I get surprised by how long they are dragging this. I was expecting this chapter to end with Cell Max activation. Turns out the fight against Gammas didn't even end yet.

No way this arc will end before October and i don't understand why they didn't make the prequel longer and then speed up the movie part. At least it was new content.

They should have planned this better. Whatever is happening behind the scenes doesn't seem good.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:42 am

Predictions: August’s chapter ends on Cell Max activation. September’s ends on Gohan’s final transformation. October’s chapter ends on Goku vs. Vegeta match conclusion.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:21 am

Again, I think some of you are misinterpreting your personal impatience to mean "bad pacing" because you're ready to move on to brand new material. The flow of this chapter, especially on its own merits, is fine.

Although the action is extended, there's enough substance added here that nothing feels overly drawn out. All these new interactions the Gammas are having between themselves and with Gohan/Piccolo lend further weight to Gamma 2's denial that what he's doing isn't actually heroic. It's more contracted in the film, which also is fine, but the extra content in this case feels justified and even commendable given that Toyotaro isn't always good at balancing this stuff.

This ain't the Granolah arc (so far, anyway). Whether the Cell Max climax can be improved remains to be seen.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:19 am

^ I agree.

The objective is not to "speed through it because we've already seen it all so who cares?".
The objective is that it's supposed to feel like a natural manga arc for someone who has never seen the movie at all and doesn't plan on seeing it - which also gives us a 2D version of the events while we're at it.

The usual pace of the manga includes chapter(s)-long fights and things that can be explored when you don't have a time constraint of around 90 minutes of animation for a whole arc.