The Current SAG AFTRA strike and dubbing (And how Dragon Ball has dealt with Union Actors)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The Current SAG AFTRA strike and dubbing (And how Dragon Ball has dealt with Union Actors)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:30 pm

Because lets face it, Dragon Ball wont ever use SAG AFTRA actors lol!

Seriously though this is interesting.

https://www.sagaftrastrike.org/_files/u ... 0QHQp8MYcU

The Strike Notice and Order issued on July 13, 2023, applies only to services and work covered
by the Producer - SAG-AFTRA Codified Basic Agreement, the SAG-AFTRA Television
Agreement and any other agreement listed in the July 13, 2023 Resolution of the SAG-AFTRA
National Board (“TV/Theatrical Contracts”). The Strike Order does not affect rendering services
or performing work, and it is not considered a violation of the SAG-AFTRA Constitution or
Membership Rules to report for work, that is covered by the following contracts:

● Dubbing Agreement, Negotiated Dubbing Employers Agreement and Netflix
Dubbing Agreement. This is for dubbing of productions produced in a foreign language
into English or Spanish

EDIT: Edited the title because I got enough complaints that this had nothing to do with Dragon Ball. I actually had hoped people would just discuss this and confession time wanted to check the actual threshold for how unrelated but still relevant to Dragon Ball a thread could be. Decided to cut to the chase and change the title.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Current SAG AFTRA strike and dubbing

Post by Cipher » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:25 am

Hasn't it, though? That's why we've had pseudonym appearances from the likes of Dameon Clarke and James Marsters, I thought.

(Although, yeah, FUNimation doesn't do union productions and there's that dubbing clause either way.)

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:25 pm

The pessimist in me says that this could be a forever strike. Why? Because the studios LOVE AI. They won't stop gushing over it.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:44 pm

I'm not sure why we're having a thread about something that won't have a pronounced effect on Dragon Ball.

Regardless, support strikes and unions.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:56 pm

I'm just posting to say fuck the studios and support the unions.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:43 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:44 pm I'm not sure why we're having a thread about something that won't have a pronounced effect on Dragon Ball.

I was sorta hoping people would point out "Well James Masters acted on Dragon Ball didnt he?"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:46 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:43 pm
Shaddy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:44 pm I'm not sure why we're having a thread about something that won't have a pronounced effect on Dragon Ball.

I was sorta hoping people would point out "Well James Masters acted on Dragon Ball didnt he?"
Okay.

"Well, James Masters acted on Dragon Ball, didn't he?"

So...what else is there to talk about pertaining to Dragon Ball?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:49 pm

DB1984 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:25 pm The pessimist in me says that this could be a forever strike. Why? Because the studios LOVE AI. They won't stop gushing over it.
AI has nothing to do why people are on strike. My cousin works for the film industry and has told me that payment is why people are on strike.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:18 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:46 pm

Okay.

We could always talk about how scummy Crunchyroll is to outright avoid working with SAG AFTRA on Dragon Ball.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:49 pm
DB1984 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:25 pm The pessimist in me says that this could be a forever strike. Why? Because the studios LOVE AI. They won't stop gushing over it.
AI has nothing to do why people are on strike. My cousin works for the film industry and has told me that payment is why people are on strike.
AI does play a part in the strike. The primary reason is pay however. But it's more to it than just pay. It's about pay, health insurance, audition protocols, etc.

However this isn't a Dragon Ball subject. But to make a joke. My random opinion is Bulma would support the strike while Dr.Briefs would not.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Current SAG AFTRA strike and dubbing (And how Dragon Ball has dealt with Union Actors)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:44 am

I changed the title to actually make it relevant to Dragon Ball. I put Union Actors because many countries also have Unions that protect actors. Most actors in the Mexican dub are ANDA (Asociacion Nacional De Actores the Mexican equivalent of SAG AFTRA) Yet in the USA the main licensee Crunchyroll is mega shady.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:56 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:18 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:46 pm

Okay.

We could always talk about how scummy Crunchyroll is to outright avoid working with SAG AFTRA on Dragon Ball.
So you admit there wasn't anything related to dragon ball when you made this topic. Just what some weird form of attention seeking?

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:25 am

Ocean Productions was union, weren't they? I think this is one of the issues with that dub, or am I mistaken? That was one reason Ian James Corlett didn't want to continue on the show, because the pay was bad for what he was doing.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:18 pm We could always talk about how scummy Crunchyroll is to outright avoid working with SAG AFTRA on Dragon Ball.
Not sure if the rapid fire topics are a good idea considering you've made a few (with some interesting premises) that are still going and haven't quite run their course yet.
Don't you think there might be some merit in staying behind till they're done?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: The Current SAG AFTRA strike and dubbing (And how Dragon Ball has dealt with Union Actors)

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:22 am

Year, Corlett said that he was ruining his voice screaming for the series, which then made it harder to get work elsewhere. The job was actively taking money from him, rather than paying him.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:44 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:22 am Year, Corlett said that he was ruining his voice screaming for the series, which then made it harder to get work elsewhere. The job was actively taking money from him, rather than paying him.
And even being union, Ocean found various ways to screw voice actors out of proper pay from not counting screams as lines when actors are paid per line or using ADR contracts only intended for looping in live action films and not full on voice-over work

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:58 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:44 am And even being union, Ocean found various ways to screw voice actors out of proper pay from not counting screams as lines when actors are paid per line or using ADR contracts only intended for looping in live action films and not full on voice-over work
This is one issue I've found with ENG anime dubs on a general level, the culture around it has a lot of problems (one other type I've found being low quality audio mixing on even more accurate, proper ones). Probably stemming from several unfortunate perceptions of and attitudes towards the medium as well as financial issues (basically speaking, cheapskate syndrome like you said). And it's like a microcosm of what goes on in the macro scale of things elsewhere (which is a different but relevant conversation).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:12 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:44 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:22 am Year, Corlett said that he was ruining his voice screaming for the series, which then made it harder to get work elsewhere. The job was actively taking money from him, rather than paying him.
And even being union, Ocean found various ways to screw voice actors out of proper pay from not counting screams as lines when actors are paid per line or using ADR contracts only intended for looping in live action films and not full on voice-over work
Jesus Christ, what a bunch of creeps.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:47 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:58 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:44 am And even being union, Ocean found various ways to screw voice actors out of proper pay from not counting screams as lines when actors are paid per line or using ADR contracts only intended for looping in live action films and not full on voice-over work
This is one issue I've found with ENG anime dubs on a general level, the culture around it has a lot of problems (one other type I've found being low quality audio mixing on even more accurate, proper ones). Probably stemming from several unfortunate perceptions of and attitudes towards the medium as well as financial issues (basically speaking, cheapskate syndrome like you said). And it's like a microcosm of what goes on in the macro scale of things elsewhere (which is a different but relevant conversation).
To my understanding most dubbing companies are non-union, and even when they are union, they'll find ways to cut corners and be cheap.

Unfortunately, voice acting seems to be a pretty low paying job unless you're a celebrity A-lister being cast for your name rather than your skill in voice over.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:08 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:25 am Ocean Productions was union, weren't they? I think this is one of the issues with that dub, or am I mistaken? That was one reason Ian James Corlett didn't want to continue on the show, because the pay was bad for what he was doing.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:18 pm We could always talk about how scummy Crunchyroll is to outright avoid working with SAG AFTRA on Dragon Ball.
Not sure if the rapid fire topics are a good idea considering you've made a few (with some interesting premises) that are still going and haven't quite run their course yet.
Don't you think there might be some merit in staying behind till they're done?
This is not a rapid fire topic. I am genuinely trying not to do that anymore. And I already posted on those. If I did it, I would be double posting which is against the rules.

And this is a topic with major potential. I promise I wont do rapid fire topics anymore.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:59 am

Pay SAG-AFTRA, you damn studios!
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.