Can you/would you ride on Flying Nimbus?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PowerPhantom245

Can you/would you ride on Flying Nimbus?

Post by PowerPhantom245 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:45 pm

Imagine if Flying Nimbus/Kinto'un exists in real life and you had an opportunity to ride on it.
Do you think you can ride on it?
Do you think you have enough pure heart?
Even if you can, would you want to ride it?

Me personally, there's no way I could step foot on it for many reasons, and even if I could, I would be too scared to ride on it, due to how fast it can be and fall due to poor balance.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Can you/would you ride on Flying Nimbus?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:02 am

Bulma couldn't ride it and I am no better than Bulma because I too would offer up my body for a wish granting ball.

Not to a 12-year old boy though, what the fuck Bulma?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:11 am

Noooooooooooooooooooooope!

Short answer: Nope!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:13 am

I would definitely like to ride on the nimbus, but my heart is a mess and there's no way in the world I would ever be able to do so, even the anime-only dark nimbus would probably reject me.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:16 am

I don't think anyone on Earth outside of literal children could.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:02 am Bulma couldn't ride it and I am no better than Bulma because I too would offer up my body for a wish granting ball.

To be fair, she did think he was 14 at the time.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:33 am

Yuji wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:16 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:02 am Bulma couldn't ride it and I am no better than Bulma because I too would offer up my body for a wish granting ball.

To be fair, she did think he was 14 at the time.
To be even more fair, she thought he was was way younger than 12 or 14 and assumed he was like 5 or 6. She didn't think he was 14 until he told her in the 2nd episode.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:40 pm

I highly doubt it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:41 pm

If we go by what Toriyama said about Goku being an inherently selfish person, then it seems like Dragon Ball’s definition of being pure of heart isn’t necessarily that you’re a morally upstanding person, but more that you’re innocent and naive. In any case, I’m not sure a ton of people in real life would fit that category, outside of really young children.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:05 am

I'd want to ride it but I don't know how to answer this question.. I don't know if I my heart would be pure enough for that.. All I can say is that if I had to grant a wish I'd wish for good justice, get rid of evil, that everyone has all the very essentials to live a peaceful, equitable and happy life, that all those who suffer from disease (incurable or not) or any other problem regain their health, that all the problems, wars disappear etc... in short, I'd wish for paradise. But I do make a lot of mistakes and repeat the same mistakes and I can get very angry and say bad stuff etc so idk but I'm really not into taking advantage of people and never did so maybe that could help?

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:57 am

It seems like Kinto'un only cares about being evil or a pervert. In real life, you probably only could ride it if you're a good-hearted child or a good-hearted asexual person. :)
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:22 am

Thanos wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:57 am It seems like Kinto'un only cares about being evil or a pervert. In real life, you probably only could ride it if you're a good-hearted child or a good-hearted asexual person. :)
A lot of people aren't perverts y'know, but the system we live in really forces it into us. Even me, as an asexual person, I suffered a lot from this oversexualized world, and unfortunately, I've watched things that I didn't really want to when I was younger, but right now, I stay away from all this sexual content soo... as long as your intentions are good, I believe you can ride on it. I can think of Vegeta in DBS who changed a lot in a good way and he could probably ride on it if he tried.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:18 pm

Not a chance in the slightless but that won't stop me from trying :) .
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:11 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:22 amA lot of people aren't perverts y'know, but the system we live in really forces it into us. Even me, as an asexual person, I suffered a lot from this oversexualized world, and unfortunately, I've watched things that I didn't really want to when I was younger, but right now, I stay away from all this sexual content soo... as long as your intentions are good, I believe you can ride on it. I can think of Vegeta in DBS who changed a lot in a good way and he could probably ride on it if he tried.
I think in the real world, having sexual attraction probably makes you perverted to some degree. I don't say that as a value judgment at all, by the way. It's perfectly normal and comes with the territory as reproducing apes who, generally speaking, (non-cis folks aside) have a biological drive to procreate. I was just using it as a threshold as if there were a hypothetical real life version of Kinto'un that followed the same rules as Dragon Ball, which itself seems to hold such value judgments.

In Dragon Ball, it seems to fall into the category of being cartoonish enough to where someone can be "pure of heart" in that vague anime sense that they can be literally free of perversion, like Goku, Chichi or Namu. I don't think just being a decent person is good enough, because if that were the case, why couldn't Kame'sennin or Kuririn, who have been shown to be perverted, ride Kinto'un? Problematic for sure, but they're certainly not evil. It's by that standard, I think, why the range of real humans that would be eligible is probably quite small. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:04 am

Yeah, I would absolutely do things with my body to get the Dragon Balls.

Also, I have a fear of heights, so I'm just not riding that cloud lol
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:29 am

Not a chance. I'm too damaged by society and their stupidity.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:18 am

Thanos wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:11 pm
Scientist Fu wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:22 amA lot of people aren't perverts y'know, but the system we live in really forces it into us. Even me, as an asexual person, I suffered a lot from this oversexualized world, and unfortunately, I've watched things that I didn't really want to when I was younger, but right now, I stay away from all this sexual content soo... as long as your intentions are good, I believe you can ride on it. I can think of Vegeta in DBS who changed a lot in a good way and he could probably ride on it if he tried.
I think in the real world, having sexual attraction probably makes you perverted to some degree. I don't say that as a value judgment at all, by the way. It's perfectly normal and comes with the territory as reproducing apes who, generally speaking, (non-cis folks aside) have a biological drive to procreate. I was just using it as a threshold as if there were a hypothetical real life version of Kinto'un that followed the same rules as Dragon Ball, which itself seems to hold such value judgments.

In Dragon Ball, it seems to fall into the category of being cartoonish enough to where someone can be "pure of heart" in that vague anime sense that they can be literally free of perversion, like Goku, Chichi or Namu. I don't think just being a decent person is good enough, because if that were the case, why couldn't Kame'sennin or Kuririn, who have been shown to be perverted, ride Kinto'un? Problematic for sure, but they're certainly not evil. It's by that standard, I think, why the range of real humans that would be eligible is probably quite small. :lol:
I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's the case. The problem with Kame Sennin and Kuririn might be due to their "unhealthy intention" in that department... you can still be sexually attracted to someone with no perverted intentions, right? or am I just tripping...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:27 am

Thanos wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:11 pm

Speaking as a non-cis person, I absolutely have a desire to procreate. I've wanted to be pregnant since I was a high school girl lol. Furthermore, nearly five years of HRT have absolutely made me desire being knocked up even more than I thought possible (what do you think I want the Dragon Balls for lol).

I don't really know how we are defining perversion here, because sexuality is a lot more complicated that it's made out to be in cishet circles and it under-educated in the west. Nobody explained that it was possible for me to be bisexual growing up, for example, and I wound up repressing my attraction to men until 2018. Furthermore, nobody explains that bisexuality comes with a 'bi cycle', which includes cycling between attractions and asexuality. That's was a wild thing to learn about, because bi people are juet never really exploree in media and are mostly shoved back into the closet in real life.

So, like, what is 'perversion' in this context? Have any sort of sexual thought? Having kinks and not being ashame of them? Because even some asexual people have kinks and enjoy sex.

Methinks that Dragon Ball (and Toriyama) are just not reliable narrators on the subject of sexuality.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:52 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:27 am Speaking as a non-cis person, I absolutely have a desire to procreate. I've wanted to be pregnant since I was a high school girl lol. Furthermore, nearly five years of HRT have absolutely made me desire being knocked up even more than I thought possible (what do you think I want the Dragon Balls for lol).

I don't really know how we are defining perversion here, because sexuality is a lot more complicated that it's made out to be in cishet circles and it under-educated in the west. Nobody explained that it was possible for me to be bisexual growing up, for example, and I wound up repressing my attraction to men until 2018. Furthermore, nobody explains that bisexuality comes with a 'bi cycle', which includes cycling between attractions and asexuality. That's was a wild thing to learn about, because bi people are juet never really exploree in media and are mostly shoved back into the closet in real life.

So, like, what is 'perversion' in this context? Have any sort of sexual thought? Having kinks and not being ashame of them? Because even some asexual people have kinks and enjoy sex.

Methinks that Dragon Ball (and Toriyama) are just not reliable narrators on the subject of sexuality.
My fault for sucking at words and stuff. I did not mean to put anyone in any kind of box or suggest sexual attraction was an exclusively cis thing, I was more referring to anyone who doesn't fit into that heteronormative box. I'm sure there are plenty of asexual people who possess kinks and so forth. There's always exceptions and I can't qualify every single statement I make unless you believe me to be bad faith and to be always making generalizations, but I can't do anything about that. I can only do so much and hope some level of benefit of the doubt is given with my intentions here.

Not to deviate too much from the topic, but I guess I'm more working with how Dragon Ball defines perversion... because, of course, Kinto'un is a Dragon Ball thing, therefore we're applying its rules to the real world. There's nothing prescriptive or judgmental from me at all, I'm simply applying Toriyama's problematic and cartoonish 80's standards to the real world in this silly hypothetical situation where real people try to ride it, haha. By those standards, perversion seems to mean being sexually expressive or being sexually desirous, which, unlike Dragon Ball, applies to just about anyone in real life who feels sexual attraction.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:58 am

Thanos wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:52 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:27 am Speaking as a non-cis person, I absolutely have a desire to procreate. I've wanted to be pregnant since I was a high school girl lol. Furthermore, nearly five years of HRT have absolutely made me desire being knocked up even more than I thought possible (what do you think I want the Dragon Balls for lol).

My fault for sucking at words and stuff. I did not mean to put anyone in any kind of box or suggest sexual attraction was an exclusively cis thing, I was more referring to anyone who doesn't fit into that heteronormative box. I'm sure there are plenty of asexual people who possess kinks and so forth. There's always exceptions and I can't qualify every single statement I make unless you believe me to be bad faith and to be always making generalizations, but I can't do anything about that. I can only do so much and hope some level of benefit of the doubt is given with my intentions here.
I kind of figured that it was just a goof, but I also just wanted to make sure I added some context for anyone else, so few little of the community is well-read on the subject. ^_^

But yeah, I definitely think that the Kinto-un thing from Toriyama is problematic on his part. The cisheteronormative depiction of any sort of sex as technically bad is just so...yikes.
She/Her
bisexual milf

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:01 am

I wouldn't know.

Probably not, because I don't believe in a pure hearted person. Dolly Parton is probably the exception. She's a real-life angel.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.