Have you ever played Earth's Special Forces?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Have you ever played Earth's Special Forces?

Post by Tian » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:39 pm

Lately, I've been into GoldSrc stuff: re-playing Half-Life and making some maps for Counter-Strike 1.6.

And I remembered that there is a GoldSrc mod based on Dragon Ball Z called Earth's Special Forces.

Despite the fact that it wasn't really a game that you would find in all the cybercafes from here, the servers always had a decent amount of players.

The version of ESF you were likely to find in the cybers that had it, was the 1.2.3. build, which was the latest and most stable release from the original dev team.

Rarely, you could find it with the community made expansions added like ECX RC2 from Coronabytes.net.

The mod is still in development, but since the 1.2.3 release, it has underwent through radical changes like some of the original dev team leaving and the switch to an updated engine.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Have you ever played Earth's Special Forces?

Post by Xeogran » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:13 pm

Yeah, and Bid For Power too. I enjoyed them both and they were especially great for their time. ESF had more modes and characters, transformations and stuff. There was like a Goku who went from base, all the way to SSJ3, then you had to summon Shenron to turn into a kid and then you unlocked SSJ4, very detailed :shock:

It amazes me how much people could do back then already!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:33 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:13 pm Yeah, and Bid For Power too. I enjoyed them both and they were especially great for their time. ESF had more modes and characters, transformations and stuff. There was like a Goku who went from base, all the way to SSJ3, then you had to summon Shenron to turn into a kid and then you unlocked SSJ4, very detailed :shock:

It amazes me how much people could do back then already!
Never heard about that one before. Did it have the Dance Dance Revolution-like combo system like ESF?

And I agree, one of the great things about ESF were the expansions. Sometimes the 1.2.3 version could be boring with only 9 characters and a single transformation for each one. So it was cool that things like the Big Pack existed.

Another great thing was the MP3 player. I remember it had the songs from a band called The Faulty, which sounded nice (Satellite and Paint the Town Red are my favourites). I wish there was more from that band but from what I could find, they apparently split up after recording the songs featured in the game.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:35 pm

Reading the words Bid for Power really brings me memories.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:29 pm

There weren't many ways to get your Dragon Ball video game fix in the US before Legacy of Goku dropped, which is crazy to think about at this point with the ubiquity and volume of the games for the past two decades+. I was an absolute maniac trying to get my hands on the various PC FPS mods such as ESF, Bid for Power, Doom Z, etc. MUGEN, too. It's funny how low the bar was going into the official retail games because, in retrospect, those mods aren't nearly as cool as they were back in 2001ish. Just the idea of being able to control a Dragon Ball character in a 3D space and shoot ki blasts was exciting enough back then.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:52 pm

ESF, Bid For Power, and BYOND DBZ games carried the 2000s of online Dragon Ball Gaming. What a time to be young.

Let's not forget ZEQ2 Lite!!!
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key