Have any of your Dragon Ball fanfictions (or part thereof) became a reality?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Have any of your Dragon Ball fanfictions (or part thereof) became a reality?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:49 am

I'll start.

When I was a kid I created a fanfiction and had a "Heroes Saga" where all the villains returned from Hell and we see all the good characters transformations and fusions. Now we have Super Dragon Ball Heroes where both happen plus new antagonists like Cumber, Fu and Oren.

I also created a "Yellow Dragon" that revived all the villains, much like Super Shenron, although it didn't come from Dragon Balls.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Have any of your Dragon Ball fanfictions (or part thereof) became a reality?

Post by Zephyr » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:11 am

Unfortunately, no, I'm still waiting to see Super Saiyan Raditz show up and be a big enough threat that only Super Saiyan 4 Gogetto can defeat him.

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Have any of your Dragon Ball fanfictions (or part thereof) became a reality?

Post by Skar » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:25 pm

Vegeta going to Yardrat and a good guy Broly (although that's a popular one). I know of a lot of other ideas that have become a reality but I guess the question is only what we've done before.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:33 pm

Sadly, the Pan x Trunks fan fic I wrote when I was a nine (ten? Even?) year old girl has yet to come to fruition. dissapointed.jpg

Nor has the fan fic I wrote as a 30 year old woman where Gokuu beats up Superman as The Man of Steel faces a gender crisis. :(

For a series that keeps getting called 'fan fiction-y', none of my fanfic ideas have shown up in Dragon Ball Super. :(
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:35 pm

In Middle School, I made a Baby Janemba on MS Paint. Over a decade later, it became a reality.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:33 pm Sadly, the Pan x Trunks fan fic I wrote when I was a nine (ten? Even?) year old girl has yet to come to fruition. dissapointed.jpg
Trunks and Pan will never be accepted in the fandom it seems so, the world is not prepared for it. The mayority of DB fans don't want more powerful warriors and instead would want to dilute their saiyan blood by mixing with humans. They say they are close to uncle and niece but Trunks was close to Goten not Pan or Gohan's family. Saiyans don't get old at the same speed of humans or hybrid saiyans so Pan would becone older whilst Trunks remains young for a longer time, so age difference is not that bad either, but to each their own.

About the original quesiton on this post: There are rumors that the SSJ Rose is based on a fanart from early 2000s, similar to the case of "El Gohan Blanco" (the white gohan in spanish) as someone had made fanarts of Gohan having a white hair mystic transformation. All of these, Deviantart chronicles.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:13 pm

I have seen GT Trunk x GT Pan shipping before and I'm never a fan of it. The age gap is way too big. With Future Mai, she is an adult with another adult.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:13 pm I have seen GT Trunk x GT Pan shipping before and I'm never a fan of it. The age gap is way too big. With Future Mai, she is an adult with another adult.
Yeah, I think nine year old me was under the weird impression that those two were both in high school for some reason. I don't remember the details of my life clearly, I just think it's funny to look back and laugh at something dumb I wrote as a nine year old girl in the early years of my fandom.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:35 pm

Should I resurrect my old General Fan Fiction Thread? :P
I used to have a list of sorts for things I put into Dragon Ball Ultimate that also popped up in Super later. It ranged from simple things like the time chamber getting fixed post-Buu to bigger things like an arc being based around a fighting tournament between all universes. I even had a white-haired transformation, Super Saiyan Crystal, that I came up with before either Ultra Instinct or Gohan Blanco were invented. I don't have that list anymore, though, so I don't remember all the fine details. I wish I still had it, but somewhere in between switching out computers several times over the years I lost it. Oh well.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:00 pm

They actually have kinda sorta. I never completed a fanfic, but I started to write one where the new and young assistant of Dai Kaioshin (a character I made up) goes rogue and helps out with the first rise of Buu. He ends up getting killed by Buu and gets reincarnated as a half-Saiyan who helps to reverse what his past self did in a re-telling of the Buu arc with him and the main characters. He also meets the creator of the universe who is sometimes a threat, but not necessarily evil. I also planned on writing a sequel to it where they travel to another universe.

He also had a transformation that was similar to Super Saiyan, but was orange-amber colored and used god ki instead (something he learned after meeting the creator of the universe). But it didn't just make him stronger, he mostly used it with a bunch of special techniques that couldn't be done with normal ki and very little fighting was involved with it. He uses this form to bring back Dai Kaioshin.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:45 pm

Silver haired super form for Goku but let's be honest: I'm part of a wide ass net for that shit lmao
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:33 pmFor a series that keeps getting called 'fan fiction-y', none of my fanfic ideas have shown up in Dragon Ball Super. :(
To me, DB Super isn't the series that's particularly "fan fiction-y". That would instead be Dragon Ball Heroes.

Though even there, I don't think either of your fanfic ideas have seen fruition.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:56 pm

Reading the Moro arc in the Dragon Ball Super manga was rather surreal since the entire first half is eerily similar to an old scrapbook fanfic I had which involved the gang travelling to New Namek, encountering a much stronger Piccolo Daimao (come on, Moro is an almost exact replica of the green old fossil), and Majin Buu being key to his defeat. The main difference is that my idea was much more focused on Piccolo Jr, naturally, though he does make a significant appearance later in the Moro arc. Chaozu of all people also had an unusually large role in my story, and surprisingly he also made a comeback in the Moro arc.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:04 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:42 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:33 pmFor a series that keeps getting called 'fan fiction-y', none of my fanfic ideas have shown up in Dragon Ball Super. :(
To me, DB Super isn't the series that's particularly "fan fiction-y". That would instead be Dragon Ball Heroes.

Though even there, I don't think either of your fanfic ideas have seen fruition.
lulz I'm quite certainly that they haven't. Then again, I haven't kept up with Super Dragon Ball Heroes because it looks like shit and it's wasting my favorite anime writer, Tomioka Atsuhiro, with zero wiggle room to flesh out the story it's trying to tell. It's baaaaaad.

(In case nobody was able to tell, the emojis in my first post are jokes and not me taking myself seriously)
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:41 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:04 pmlulz I'm quite certainly that they haven't. Then again, I haven't kept up with Super Dragon Ball Heroes because it looks like shit and it's wasting my favorite anime writer, Tomioka Atsuhiro, with zero wiggle room to flesh out the story it's trying to tell. It's baaaaaad.
If we're discounting all dub-related nonsense and going purely by the Japanese material, I would say that DB Heroes is easily the single worst thing to have ever come out of the DB franchise. Head and shoulders. Only Minus rivals it.

Not joking, I'd honestly rather watch the old DB Traffic and Fire Safety specials on an infinite loop than sit through 5 minutes of DB Heroes. The GT Goku Jr. special (which once upon a time, used to be my single least favorite piece of Japanese DB anime/media: oh what a sweet, naïve, innocent summer child I used to be in those years) looks like Grave of the Fireflies next to DB Heroes.

DB Heroes is what happens when Toei gives rando Deviant Art fanfic writers and Power Scaling obsessives carte blanch to do whatever the fuck they want with the license. If anyone is going to answer in the affirmative to this thread's main question, you can bet your bottom dollar that Heroes is going to be responsible for an awful lot of "Yes actually" responses here.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:32 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:50 pmAbout the original quesiton on this post: There are rumors that the SSJ Rose is based on a fanart from early 2000s, similar to the case of "El Gohan Blanco" (the white gohan in spanish) as someone had made fanarts of Gohan having a white hair mystic transformation. All of these, Deviantart chronicles.
It's definitely a shorter list to name the ideas used in DBS that haven't been seen in fanfiction before. I think the nature of revivals makes them similar to how fanfiction is written because they have fans who grew up with the original series working on them now like what happened with a few other franchises. Even if the staff never read any fanwork they're going to end up with similar ideas because that's probably what they came up as young fans like favorite characters they want to see return especially if they haven't been relevant in the story for a long time or a what if they thought was cool.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:42 am

Skar wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:32 am
Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:50 pmAbout the original quesiton on this post: There are rumors that the SSJ Rose is based on a fanart from early 2000s, similar to the case of "El Gohan Blanco" (the white gohan in spanish) as someone had made fanarts of Gohan having a white hair mystic transformation. All of these, Deviantart chronicles.
It's definitely a shorter list to name the ideas used in DBS that haven't been seen in fanfiction before. I think the nature of revivals makes them similar to how fanfiction is written because they have fans who grew up with the original series working on them now like what happened with a few other franchises. Even if the staff never read any fanwork they're going to end up with similar ideas because that's probably what they came up as young fans like favorite characters they want to see return especially if they haven't been relevant in the story for a long time or a what if they thought was cool.
I think that's a great point; there's a whole new generation of people working on DB now who grew up as fans.

There's also the fact of how much ground the original story already covered anyway, together with the fact of how much time there was between its conclusion and the beginning of the revival. As I've asked elsewhere before, what can the story do that's not going to in some way resemble something that either it, or fans of it, have cooked up over the last 40 years? We have threads talking about how the series is stuck in the past, and we have threads talking about how the series uses stuff from fanfiction.

At this point in time, if we got transformations that were a lot more elaborate with a bunch of small details added to them, and a super self-serious storyline, that would also feel like fanfiction. Nobody complaining that "these recolors feel like fanart/fanfiction" should be happy if new forms started sporting tattoos or spikes, either, because that's also fanart. So is simply having longer hair. So is simply "no more transformations". Because this stuff's been around long enough that there are few, if any, ideas left untouched.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:48 am

Yes! Lol As a matter of fact, more than one thing!

The earliest I can trace this idea back to is 2000, while the "Android Saga" was airing on Toonami. That's the earliest that I know I actually put this idea down on paper (well, typed it). The idea for my "fan series" was that it took place after GT. At that time, all I knew was that Goku rode off woth Shenlong. So, the "first episode" of the "series" was Trunks convincing Vegeta to find the Dragon Balls to wish Goku back (yeah, I didn't know that they disappear).

So, in that story, Shenlong asked Goku to kill him in Other World so that the Earth wouldn't feel the aftershock, English is why he asked Goku to fly away with him. Goku destroyed Shenlong and then just kind of hung around to train with Kaiō. How did the Dragon Balls come backto Earth for Trunks to find them? Unclear. ANYWAY, here are some things from that "series" that ended up coming true:

"GOD MODE"
So... yeah. "God Mode." After Goku destroyed Shenlong, Shenlong's power went into Goku. And now, Goku could transform into a state that surpassed Super Saiyan 4. It was called "God Mode" because of the association with Shenlong. What did "God Mode" look like? Goku would look like he does in base form, but his hair would stand up just a little (not all the way like Super Saiyan), his eyes would lighten, and he would have an aura that was gold and silver with silver specks all around. But, as I kept building on the "series," I though that "God Mode" sounded super fan-ficy, so I changed the name to "Dragon Rage."

So, not only did it look and sound a lot like Super Saiyan God, but then the look is pretty much exactly like the first version of Ultra Instinct.

Cell #2
One of the "sagas" was centered around "Cell #2." And here's the story: the arc would start with a Tenka'ichi Budōkai that would be interrupted by a scientist asking for the Z Warriors' help. As it turned out, he was working on some of Dr. Gero's old work and stumbled upon the Cell project. But, this scientist didn't know that Cell was supposed to be evil. So, new Cell. Except this Cell didn't need the cyborgs, he had updated cells from the characters through the story until that point, and the best thing about him, was that he was able to learn the characters' fighting styles basically as soon as he started fighting with them.

So for his "redesign," I took away the spots and the headpiece and he looked like a greener Hit. And his fight learning ability made fighting him kind of like fighting Hit (being unpredictable, etc). And, of course, they did the scientist resurrecting Cell story in Super Hero.

Wish to Stay Young
Maybe stretching it, but I did think about the fact that the core Z Warriors were pretty old. In an effort to have Kuririn, Yamucha, and Tenshinhan stay relevant, I decided to just deage everyone. After the first villain, they learn that another is on his way in a few years (pulled straight from the Saiyan arc), so in preparation, they all plan to wish to be deaged to their prime so they could train harder. But, Bulma and Chi-Chi refused to not be part of this wish, so Shenlong granted the wish for the entire group. In some comedic writing (I will admit that I give very young me props for a few legitimately funny "scenes"), I excluded Roshi from the wish.

Side note: I wrote some funny Roshi moments. The first was when Goku comes back and visits Kame House, where Kuririn and 18 live. Goku asks about Roshi and wonders why Kuririn and 18 are living under. Kuririn begins to answer with, "Well..." and Goku assumes that Roshi passed away. Goku mourns a bit, saying that it's can a long time (this was 10 years after GT) and it makes sense that Roshi passed on. Goku starts reminiscing about the training and learning the Kamehame-Ha. But then, 18 says that they're not so lucky and that the old man is just inside taking a nap. And they're living there because Roshi claimed that Kuririn owed him to stay around and take care of him, but she suspects is really because of her.

So, here's more about it just in case anything else gets added in lol

A lot of it is dumb and unoriginal, but I'll be honest: that ending was freaking sweet. What else from that could possibly end up in the official work? Honestly, probably nothing else. I think that the series won't get far enough to do Trunks's kid.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:40 pm

Zephyr wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:42 amAt this point in time, if we got transformations that were a lot more elaborate with a bunch of small details added to them, and a super self-serious storyline, that would also feel like fanfiction. Nobody complaining that "these recolors feel like fanart/fanfiction" should be happy if new forms started sporting tattoos or spikes, either, because that's also fanart. So is simply having longer hair. So is simply "no more transformations". Because this stuff's been around long enough that there are few, if any, ideas left untouched.
I don't think it was a problem to have so many ideas that have been used in fanfiction before. It died down now but it was a little frustrating the reaction you get when you happen not to like one of those ideas. That was usually the only difference. There's countless fanfics out there so it was okay to like some and not like others. For most of these ideas that ended up appearing in DBS, now was the first time someone called them "brilliant", "subversive", or feels the need to trash something in the original manga.

I think it made easier when we find out a certain idea was by Toei or Toyotaro. When it was from Toei then you can have the same opinion if it had originated in GT or DBZ filler. When it's from Toyotaro then it's okay to have the same opinion if it was by a different fanfic writer. Now we found out a lot of the more fan service ideas were suggested by the head of the Dragon Room and Toriyama just agreed to use them which I think would make it more acceptable to criticize them.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:09 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:40 pmI don't think it was a problem to have so many ideas that have been used in fanfiction before. It died down now but it was a little frustrating the reaction you get when you happen not to like one of those ideas. That was usually the only difference. There's countless fanfics out there so it was okay to like some and not like others. For most of these ideas that ended up appearing in DBS, now was the first time someone called them "brilliant", "subversive", or feels the need to trash something in the original manga.
Definitely. Just because practically everything under the sun has been done by fanart/fanfiction doesn't mean that it's automatically good when done officially. My issue is whenever "this is like fanart/fanfiction" is used as a reason itself for some new official design or plot being "bad". Given the sheer breadth of what fanart/fanfiction has done, "this is like fanart/fanfiction" is rendered a practically meaningless observation. That is different, of course, from observing that some particular design or plot point being like some specific piece of fanart/fanfiction (such as the many examples given in this thread).

In my aforementioned "Gogetto vs. Super Saiyan Raditz" scenario that lived in my head and through drawings, I came up with a new series of Super Saiyan forms above Super Saiyan 4: "Omega Super Saiyan" which had orange hair drawn with very thick and angular lines, "Shining Super Saiyan" which had blue hair sticking straight up, and "Neon Super Saiyan" which was basically just a green Super Saiyan 4. I also used to do random DB doodles at school, and I have many doodles on binders of Vegeta with normal length Super Saiyan hair but without eyebrows (which I only did because I was bad at normal eyebrows). So to my credit I made "Super Saiyan Blue" and "Ultra Ego". :lol: