Goku needs to stop with the "Are you okay Vegeta?!"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Goku needs to stop with the "Are you okay Vegeta?!"

Post by TBMx » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:54 pm

Vegeta doesn't usually interrupt Goku when he's fighting. Not even when he's losing. And rarely almost never against Gokus wishes.

Meanwhile Goku has interrupted Vegeta to the point where Vegeta has assaulted Goku physically, verbally screamed at him and turned his head away from his opponent twice to tell him to stay back he doesnt want to team up. The first time Granolah took advantage of this, the second time Gas didn't, but could have. It strongly comes across like Vegeta is always fighting with one eye on Goku to make sure he doesn't butt in and has grown incredibly frustrated with Goku. For this very reason.

Vegeta has made it very clear in the Granolah arc that he's not bothered about dying. He has said he would rather die than team up. It's annoying that Goku can't accept that when they fight - especially when Vegeta fights - they take risk. They're not playing nintendo. This is a battle .

Vegeta's mentally competent, understands the risks he takes and knowingly wants to take them. Hes over 50 years old. Let the man fight, without making the man paranoid and frustrated that you'll cut in all the time. Goku once said that Vegeta's his own man. Well treat him like he is, and leave him alone. He knows when he's losing. If he wants help let him ask for it.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Re: Goku needs to stop with the "Are you okay Vegeta?!"

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:00 pm

You know they aren't real people, right?
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:30 pm

It's the right question to ask after Vegeta gets hit by a smooth criminal.

Vegeta, are you okay?
So, Vegeta, are you okay?
Are you okay, Vegeta?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:16 am

ChronoTwigger wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:00 pm You know they aren't real people, right?
I never understand why people criticizing a writing choice in a series is always met with “it’s not real though.” No shit it’s not real.

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:16 am
ChronoTwigger wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:00 pm You know they aren't real people, right?
I never understand why people criticizing a writing choice in a series is always met with “it’s not real though.” No shit it’s not real.
Because it's very bizarre for people to get so up in arms over trivial shit like children's comic books.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:22 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:04 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:16 am
Because it's very bizarre for people to get so up in arms over trivial shit like children's comic books.
Bad take.

We're all here in good faith (hopefully) to celebrate a media franchise. This will naturally get into our opinions on how the characters interact with each other. We will state our wishes to see if others within the fanbase agree or disagree and debate why they do. This is not the place to socially correct at best or shame at worst. Also, just because you may not be a child, this poster very well could be.

So, in response to the topic, yeah I generally agree. It's very strange that Goku keeps pulling this. My counterpoint would be that Goku has consistently shown his good-natured spirit to be contagious and lead to others accepting his care. So maybe the next big moment will be Vegeta showing concern for him?
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:41 pm

Celebrate what you will. It's still a comic made for little Japanese children. It is not that serious to get worked up about the psychology of its make believe characters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:13 pm

vegeta seems a bit too toxic to ever ask for help

well, gokuu is also bad about asking for help (all those solo fights he's in), so i say fuck 'em both lulz
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:51 am

While I see your point is some way, we have to realise the majority of these fights aren't a sporting event, combat where they prove themselves in safe environment, in majority these are life and death consequence fights and the thing fought for, is our planet, world or worlds, or even the entire universe.
I know 50% of Saiyan's motivation to fight is love of fighting, thrust to improve yourself and selfish reasons, still this is not eveyrthing.
Both Goku and Vegeta aren't blind at how serious the situation can be and that if they lose - their home and loved ones WILL get hurt.

So that's a bit natural for Goku to be sure Vegeta is okay and doesn't need help. It's Vegeta actually who has a bit of ego problem and absolutely has to prove himself, while battling toghether would resolve the situation a lot faster.

The fact that Super is super (pun intended) unconsistent with Goku's character and one time makes him care for their safety and others wanting fights as much as to endanger the whole multiverse is a different thing :P

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:57 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:41 pm Celebrate what you will. It's still a comic made for little Japanese children. It is not that serious to get worked up about the psychology of its make believe characters.
The manga isn't a comic made for little children, hence the bloody impaling etc. It has an older target audience. Its not the anime.

I'm not sure what you expect from a dragonball forum. Blind praise of the story? You're reading the comic you believe is made for little Japanese children and complaining about analysis of it. I can say the same thing to you. It's not that serious bro. Thats why this tangent is pretty asinine.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:05 am

GokuHater wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:51 am While I see your point is some way, we have to realise the majority of these fights aren't a sporting event, combat where they prove themselves in safe environment, in majority these are life and death consequence fights and the thing fought for, is our planet, world or worlds, or even the entire universe.
I know 50% of Saiyan's motivation to fight is love of fighting, thrust to improve yourself and selfish reasons, still this is not eveyrthing.
Both Goku and Vegeta aren't blind at how serious the situation can be and that if they lose - their home and loved ones WILL get hurt.

So that's a bit natural for Goku to be sure Vegeta is okay and doesn't need help. It's Vegeta actually who has a bit of ego problem and absolutely has to prove himself, while battling toghether would resolve the situation a lot faster.

The fact that Super is super (pun intended) unconsistent with Goku's character and one time makes him care for their safety and others wanting fights as much as to endanger the whole multiverse is a different thing :
The issue is its hurting Vegetas ability to fight. It reminds me of when Piccolo talked throughout Vegeta vs Moro within ear shot, causing Vegeta to turn to Piccolo during a critical moment of the battle and respond to him. And then Vegeta kept talking himself which eventually caused him to lose. During Goku vs Frieza, Piccolo is the same character who backed off and told Gohan and Krillin to as well because he believed he was distractng Goku with just his thoughts. That's a character who realizes this is life or death and a deadly serious fight. Not when he kept talking within ear shot of Vegeta and same with Goku interrupting to ensure Vegeta's okay to the point of Vegeta lashing out in frustration.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:17 am

TBMx wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:05 am
GokuHater wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:51 am While I see your point is some way, we have to realise the majority of these fights aren't a sporting event, combat where they prove themselves in safe environment, in majority these are life and death consequence fights and the thing fought for, is our planet, world or worlds, or even the entire universe.

The fact that Super is super (pun intended) unconsistent with Goku's character and one time makes him care for their safety and others wanting fights as much as to endanger the whole multiverse is a different thing :
The issue is its hurting Vegetas ability to fight. It reminds me of when Piccolo talked throughout Vegeta vs Moro within ear shot, causing Vegeta to turn to Piccolo during a critical moment of the battle and respond to him. And then Vegeta kept talking himself which eventually caused him to lose. During Goku vs Frieza, Piccolo is the same character who backed off and told Gohan and Krillin to as well because he believed he was distractng Goku with just his thoughts. That's a character who realizes this is life or death and a deadly serious fight. Not when he kept talking within ear shot of Vegeta and same with Goku interrupting to ensure Vegeta's okay to the point of Vegeta lashing out in frustration.
I see your point. A big chunk of DB is characters trusting each other in terms of strength and capability.

I guess it's just Super Goku being a bit too extravagated again...