Hypothetically, what would be the better story?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Hypothetically, what would be the better story?

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:50 am

Super being retold after the events of Gt or

GT being retold after the events of Super?

Curious to see thoughts here.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Hypothetically what would be the better stroy

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:34 am

Neither. We already have GT and Super and neither were worth telling again.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:51 am

One of the few things fans say GT does well is its ending for the sense of finality it provides. Continuing the series' passage of time is another. If you're going to remake GT, you should keep those elements since those elements become less impactful if this isn't the final installment (and that's assuming this would actually be the final installment- No more new anime or manga after this).

So if this has to happen, I think it would be better if GT was retold after Super since being the final saga as a whole would play to some of its few existing strengths.

YoungDefender

Post by YoungDefender » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:25 pm

Story should have ended with Z, that ending was basically perfect.

GT also does well as a lower-quality denouement to Z, it's more or less acceptable.

I do not consider Super canon, would be best if it just faded way but that's not going to happen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:48 pm

I don't have a desire for even a hypothetical retelling of either. They happened, let's move on. If DB comes back, let the story learn from the past and do something different. Don't get stuck doing a Mulligan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm

I'm up for redoing Dragon Ball GT as a sequel to Dragon Ball Super if it means letting Matsui Aya come back as series kousei and letting her pull a Pocket Monsters: Sun & Moon on it.
YoungDefender wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:25 pm Story should have ended with Z, that ending was basically perfect.

GT also does well as a lower-quality denouement to Z, it's more or less acceptable.

I do not consider Super canon, would be best if it just faded way but that's not going to happen.
canon was invented to sell more canon. just enjoy the works of art you enjoy and pay no mind to the harmless stuff that you don't enjoy.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:30 pm

People hate retellings, but they want a retelling of GT? It reminds me when people hated SSjB for being a recolor, but they wanted a gold recolor of SSj4 for the Super Saiyan God form.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:30 pm People hate retellings, but they want a retelling of GT? It reminds me when people hated SSjB for being a recolor, but they wanted a gold recolor of SSj4 for the Super Saiyan God form.
Broly and Super Hero plus the demand for Ss4 and Cooler to return points otherwise. I think people that don't like retelling are just louder.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:41 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:01 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:30 pm People hate retellings, but they want a retelling of GT? It reminds me when people hated SSjB for being a recolor, but they wanted a gold recolor of SSj4 for the Super Saiyan God form.
Broly and Super Hero plus the demand for Ss4 and Cooler to return points otherwise. I think people that don't like retelling are just louder.
How are either Broly or Super Hero retellings? Broly is close, but I wouldn't consider it a retelling like I would the first two Super arcs or the DB movies.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:57 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:41 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:01 pm
How are either Broly or Super Hero retellings? Broly is close, but I wouldn't consider it a retelling like I would the first two Super arcs or the DB movies.
Super Hero brings Cell back and Gohan's ss2 but I agree it's not the strongest example. Broly is a retelling of Broly's origin and the destruction of planet Vegeta.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:43 pm

There's a grey area with Broly even though I still don't consider it a retelling. He's a different character than the movie, though I will concede that they do retell the final days of Planet Vegeta.

But in Super Hero, all they do is bring back a character or two. That's not a retelling. It's not the same story retold.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:56 pm

Neither. The better story would be Dragon Ball Online somewhere in there.
ABED wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:43 pmBut in Super Hero, all they do is bring back a character or two. That's not a retelling. It's not the same story retold.
It's Red Ribbon again; It's Cell again; It's Gohan and Piccolo duo dynamic again; It's Gohan defeating Cell again; It's Gohan getting a massive hair again; It's two androids who eventually switch sides again (and perform poses. Not done by any other android, sure, but it doesn't mean we haven't seen it before). Whatever we feel about whether it is a "retelling" by definition or not, it is the same points we have seen before.

It's understandable those who feel like it's a retelling when you have a mix of many specific elements being brought up again. I guess it comes down to "originality". When something is not original, it's easy for it to be mistaken with rehashing/retelling. Dragon Ball Super Super Hero may not be a retelling, but having all those old things doesn't help much.

That's where we search for new stuff to help us look past all that. For me, it is the Piccolo and Pan dynamic, as well as Piccolo's plan to infiltrate the Red Ribbon. Both are new, never-before-seen elements that kind of elevates all the known points we are familiar with.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:28 pm

Almost 30 years later and GT's ending is still the definitive best one for the larger story. In a better timeline, the ideal option would be a moderately better-written GT still serving as that final ending, preceded by a much-better-written-than-what-we-got version of Super that actually properly led into it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:06 am

Kaboom wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:28 pm Almost 30 years later and GT's ending is still the definitive best one for the larger story. In a better timeline, the ideal option would be a moderately better-written GT still serving as that final ending, preceded by a much-better-written-than-what-we-got version of Super that actually properly led into it.
Just outlining some basic points, how would you have Super following into GT? The two series seem to have contradictory themes and tone.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:33 am

I rather see new content than them just trying to re-create stuff from the past. Give us new villains and stories than just be like "It's GT, but it follows Super now!".
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:28 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:56 pm Neither. The better story would be Dragon Ball Online somewhere in there.
ABED wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:43 pmBut in Super Hero, all they do is bring back a character or two. That's not a retelling. It's not the same story retold.
It's Red Ribbon again; It's Cell again; It's Gohan and Piccolo duo dynamic again; It's Gohan defeating Cell again; It's Gohan getting a massive hair again; It's two androids who eventually switch sides again (and perform poses. Not done by any other android, sure, but it doesn't mean we haven't seen it before). Whatever we feel about whether it is a "retelling" by definition or not, it is the same points we have seen before.

It's understandable those who feel like it's a retelling when you have a mix of many specific elements being brought up again. I guess it comes down to "originality". When something is not original, it's easy for it to be mistaken with rehashing/retelling. Dragon Ball Super Super Hero may not be a retelling, but having all those old things doesn't help much.

That's where we search for new stuff to help us look past all that. For me, it is the Piccolo and Pan dynamic, as well as Piccolo's plan to infiltrate the Red Ribbon. Both are new, never-before-seen elements that kind of elevates all the known points we are familiar with.
It's redundant, but it's not a retelling.

And pointing at an established character dynamic isn't an element being retold. It's just characters acting according to who they are and what their dynamic is with each other. How is that a legitimate criticism?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:21 am

ABED wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:28 pmAnd pointing at an established character dynamic isn't an element being retold. It's just characters acting according to who they are and what their dynamic is with each other. How is that a legitimate criticism?
Under normal and general circumstances, it isn't. Though Dragon Ball manages to make that a problem too. I don't want to see Goten and Trunks together all the time just because it's very well established them as a pair. Also, it hinders Goten's character as a whole.

I don't want to see Piccolo and Gohan together all the time just because it's a very well established dynamic. It might lead to some cheap shit (in fact, it already did. Didn't Toei "retell" Piccolo sacrificing himself to save Gohan in the Movie 15 retelling? I have a vague memory of that). Characters should grow and shine separately as well.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: Hypothetically, what would be the better story?

Post by Jord » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:42 am

Considering the train wreck that is DB Super, I have no confidence in Toriyama to actually improve on GT.
Besides, we will probably lose that great GT BGM in the process as well.

Besides that, there need to be some serious recasting. GT had the cast close to their prime and the current cast sounds tired. Recasts have been very hit or miss.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:59 pm

DBS kinda already covered some of the ideas used in GT. Blackstar Dragonballs were a new stronger set spread across the universe and the Super Dragonballs are an even stronger set spread across two universes. Baby and Copy Vegeta have Vegeta's body taken over by an alien parasite. Baby and Granolah are the last members of an alien race wiped out by the Saiyans and want revenge. Both have 17 return with a massive powerup.

That only leaves the Shadow Dragons to retell. I think it's unlikely unless defeating them gives the Dragonballs a clean slate and they can still be used. I recall they were mentioned in EoZ so they were still active by then.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:15 pm

I think it's time to move forward with DB Online.

We have GT as an alternate route, a what-if of sorts. We have DBS, there's no need to bridge them together, I'd rather see the story move forward past EoZ with DBO in mind.