Dragon Ball 2024 40th Anniversary Predictions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball 2024 40th Anniversary Predictions

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:34 pm My pipe-dream: a new television special that remakes the Saiyan or or something, in the mold of the One Piece specials from the 2010s. An entire arc in 105 minutes.

I kind of doubt Viz will do a good re-release of the 1984 comic, though. That just doesn't seem to be their thing with their bigger titles.
It's funny... before 'Magic' was "revealed", my prediction for the new DB anime (whatever it was) was that OG Dragon Ball would get the "Sailor Moon Crystal treatment" and get a fully-reanimated remake (preferably with work done by Kubota and/or Shintani) that follows the original manga's story more closely than stuff like Kai did.

Speaking of Kai, said hypothetical remake would also cover the 'Z' portion of the manga (Saiyan, Frieza, Cell, and Majin Buu) if the initial eps happened to be successful enough.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:07 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:22 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:34 pm My pipe-dream: a new television special that remakes the Saiyan or or something, in the mold of the One Piece specials from the 2010s. An entire arc in 105 minutes.

I kind of doubt Viz will do a good re-release of the 1984 comic, though. That just doesn't seem to be their thing with their bigger titles.
It's funny... before 'Magic' was "revealed", my prediction for the new DB anime (whatever it was) was that OG Dragon Ball would get the "Sailor Moon Crystal treatment" and get a fully-reanimated remake (preferably with work done by Kubota and/or Shintani) that follows the original manga's story more closely than stuff like Kai did.

Speaking of Kai, said hypothetical remake would also cover the 'Z' portion of the manga (Saiyan, Frieza, Cell, and Majin Buu) if the initial eps happened to be successful enough.
Part of me wonders if they're trying to hold off on a full animated retelling until 2034, for the fiftieth anniversary. I think that would make more sense, especially considering the age of the cast being what it is, they can just do a clean-sweep.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:30 pm

My guess is it will either be a film announcement, or something insignificant, like a special ichiban kuji.

My wishlist of things would be a dragon box blu-ray set using the film transfers from the 30th anniversary box set but without the filters and fake grain, or a new seasonal anime series with bigger per episode budgets so we get consistent, high quality animation.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:17 am

I just hope the anniversary celebration starts with Toei going "Fuck you Crunchyroll and fuck your monopoly and shitty releases" and announce a full Ocean redub of OG, Z and GT along with an actually decent realease of said shows.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SonTao

Post by SonTao » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:49 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:17 am I just hope the anniversary celebration starts with Toei going "Fuck you Crunchyroll and fuck your monopoly and shitty releases" and announce a full Ocean redub of OG, Z and GT along with an actually decent realease of said shows.
We can only dream brother, we can only dream. Personally, I wouldn't be too miffed if they just dropped Crunchyroll :P

I predict, at the very least, there will be a SLIGHT. MINOR CHANCE. That Toei... will flip us off and give us nothing of note.
Gohan is a neeeeerd.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:38 pm

It seems weird that there's been no official word on a new home release in Japan because I'm pretty sure that the defunct 2019 BD release was being pushed by both Funimation AND Toei. I think IF there was a new home release in the works, this would be a good time to do it. Of course, a new video master doesn't mean CR would use it because they've had the new movie BDs for how long now and have done nothing with them?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:58 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:37 am There is simply NO WAY Toei and Shueisha wont do something HUGE to celebrate the 40th anniversary. I dont know what it is yet but I know we will see something. And even bigger for 2026 which is the 40 anniversary of the anime!
I think Dragon Ball magic is what they're doing.
Jord wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:18 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:49 am The recently announced Dragon Ball Magic will be streamed in many countries, although probably not all of them.
Where was this announced? I'm curious.

We will probably get a Blu Ray version of the orange bricks, "improved' with AI upscaling.
It's not been announced. It's just leakers pretending it has been.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:16 pm

Predictions:
- Web anime release, new 2D movie announcement and official confirmation of when we can expect DBS anime to return. Just say something.
- Exlucise new arc for DBS manga (I don't want the next one to be a manga version of Dragon Ball Magic..)

Wishes:
- Tenkaichi 4 to release in 2024.
- Viz finally releasing more Full Color volumes.
- More countries to get the french Blu-Ray release from AB Video. Seems to be the best one this franchise ever got for the original anime.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:35 pm

I keep thinking about Magic, and I honestly believe the October 12th announcement is just something related to early Dragon Ball for the 40th anniversary. A movie or special set in that period or maybe A Kai-esque recap? I'm not sure, but it'd explain why the video games have been pushing Kid Goku lately, but nothing with Shin.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:57 pm

"Dragon Ball Magic"

FighterZ Next Gen Upgrade + Rollback

End of Z DLC for Kakarot

Xenoverse 2 DLC based off the Magic "Magic Pass"

Tenkaichi Zero release

One of the movies gets a rerun in theaters like they did with Battle of Gods recently

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:16 am

Honestly I don't expect much from Toei because imo they don't really care quite frankly, the only thing I wish for the 40th Anniversary and I know it'll probably never happen but all I want is for all of Toei's rights to DB animated material be stripped away from them completely and given to a company that actually gives a legitimate damn about the franchise's legacy and history because Toei sure as hell aren't going to.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:21 pm

Considering that it's Toei I imagine that they'll do something big to celebrate, and they'll most likely screw it up somehow.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:54 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:21 pm Considering that it's Toei I imagine that they'll do something big to celebrate, and they'll most likely screw it up somehow.

Why do you thinks they'll do something big?

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:16 pm

You know what, screw it, let's go big and wild. Find a way to solve all of the issues and make Dragon Ball Quest happen. Just straight up make a Dragon Quest game but with actual DB characters instead of Toriyama recycling character designs for similar characters.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:55 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:54 pm
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:21 pm Considering that it's Toei I imagine that they'll do something big to celebrate, and they'll most likely screw it up somehow.

Because that'll make us more angry when they screw it up. Kinda like that 30th anniversary Blu-ray of Z. (Which was technically a collaboration between Toei and Funimation, although I'm not sure how much oversight Toei had.)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:15 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:55 am

Because that'll make us more angry when they screw it up. Kinda like that 30th anniversary Blu-ray of Z. (Which was technically a collaboration between Toei and Funimation, although I'm not sure how much oversight Toei had.)
I cant argue with this logic.They LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE pissing people off.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:23 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:15 am
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:55 am

I cant argue with this logic.They LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE pissing people off.
How was that a collaboration?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:29 am

TOEI promoted Funimation's 30th anniversary collection Blu-Ray on Twitter, but I don't think they did any more than that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:44 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:29 am TOEI promoted Funimation's 30th anniversary collection Blu-Ray on Twitter, but I don't think they did any more than that.
If I remember correctly I think Funimation described it as a collaboration between the two, with both Toei of America and Funimation advertising the Blu-ray set, but I don't think they did anything beyond make a few social media posts.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:02 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:44 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:29 am TOEI promoted Funimation's 30th anniversary collection Blu-Ray on Twitter, but I don't think they did any more than that.
If I remember correctly I think Funimation described it as a collaboration between the two, with both Toei of America and Funimation advertising the Blu-ray set, but I don't think they did anything beyond make a few social media posts.
Correct. FUNimation announced it first with the 4-star Dragon Ball and then Toei teweted with the 3-star Dragon Ball. More importantly these Tweets were made at 6.33pm and 6.34pm respectively and further social media posts showcased the 4 star Dragon Ball next to the 3 star Dragon Ball. Problem is both companies thought all the fans wanted was 4:3 so they didn't do anything else to improve the set like using the raw video masters (which were showcased in Funimation's announcement blog and looked better), broadcast audio, etc.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: