Chi Chi and Goku should have gotten a divorce a long time ago

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Chi Chi and Goku should have gotten a divorce a long time ago

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:37 am

Chichi's was infatuated with Goku when they were young and had little to no responsibilities. Chichi's love was superficial; she saw a guy who was strong and good looking and wanted him for herself, but like a lot of women secretly wanted some aspects of Goku to change.

As the dynamic of relationship changes ,aka becoming husband/wife and parents, many women expect the man to change, become more responsible and put the needs of their family first. However, Goku did not change and remain the same, carefree guy that Chichi first met in Dragon Ball.

https://youtu.be/j1_f_7h5Fs8?si=QenO0Th787KaiaZm

https://youtu.be/P58bnG8ySAg?si=emBLh2l3-kYKYFTR

Despite Chichi's best effort in trying to domestic goku and make him act as a mature, responsible father, goku has other prioritize. This often put the couple at odds with one another, since they no longer share the same life goal. And we even see the Son Goku even abandon the family at one point, leaving Chichi to fend for herself on Earth while he trained in other world.

https://youtu.be/g00_BjvepGQ?si=Ud6jpMFsybNwwdb9

https://youtu.be/4-hOJGzNhPo?si=EFa8nL4xsUlc5LZx

This shows that while they may care for one another deeply, they aren't compatible anymore. Goku care too much about fighting and wanting to get stronger to be a good father and husband. Chichi is at a stage in her life where she wants a mature man for a husband and not a man child. And thus, with both having different wants and needs, I honestly think they should have gotten divorced a while now and moved on with their life.

https://youtu.be/QCtwGuM7mrk?si=foUnv1vuq93zPgNB

Last edited by Seekeroftruth on Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Chi Chi and Goku should have gotten a divorce a long time ago

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:28 am

Counterpoint: They seem basically happy enough in the life they share together, and it appears they are both content for it to continue more-or-less as it is, indefinitely.

There's plenty "wrong" with their relationship from a real-world perspective where married people need to adopt specific responsibilities to make their lives sustainable, and can't count on having random superhuman martial-artist lifestyles funded by in-laws (whether a castle full of looted treasure or cash grifted off a grateful planet for something they don't remember) - but Goku and Chi Chi don't inhabit a real-world scenario (hell, there have been 3 deaths between them since they got married) and, despite periodic issues and tensions, seem to have made it "work" for more than 20 years.

Which isn't a terrible result, for what is basically an arranged marriage contracted by one kid patting another one on the crotch.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:18 pm

Chi Chi doesn't believe in divorce and Goku thinks divorce is a snack cake

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:14 pm

I'd leave Gokuu, too, if he couldn't become a better romantic partner.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:18 pm Chi Chi doesn't believe in divorce and Goku thinks divorce is a snack cake
Divorce is a snack, it's why Gokuu is divorcing Chi-Chi to date Divorce.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:01 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:14 pm I'd leave Gokuu, too, if he couldn't become a better romantic partner.
Romance to Goku is taking Chi Chi to KFC on Christmas and letting her eat one of the chicken legs.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:01 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:14 pm I'd leave Gokuu, too, if he couldn't become a better romantic partner.
Romance to Goku is taking Chi Chi to KFC on Christmas and letting her eat one of the chicken legs.
See, if he isn't willing to feed the whole chicken, he just isn't worth it.
She/Her
bisexual milf

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:17 am

But what exactly would Goku and Chi Chi getting a divorced would change at any time? :p
I think this would change nothing practically :p
I mean Goku still would not work, would go training, would take Gohan training and would be dead when he was dead.

The only thing it could do is make Gohan or Goten having not a full home or all the happy times they actually had together... Not be there :p
As they had these times, cause Goku IS actually a loving husband and father albeit a very flawed one.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:39 am

It'd be hella funny if Goku ends up being a divorced man living in a one-room apartment, and Vegeta a happy family man living in a capsule-shaped mansion.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:32 am

I don't think ChiChi is itching to do anything like that.

Case in point, Goku chose to stay dead for 7 years after Cell was defeated. He straight up left her. And did she remarry? Nope.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:34 am

Keeping this strictly in-universe, there is no evidence that divorce is canonical to the world of Dragon Ball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:53 am

Makaioshin wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:34 am Keeping this strictly in-universe, there is no evidence that divorce is canonical to the world of Dragon Ball.
Wow, women trapped in a loveless marriage because otherwise they'll wind up unable to financially sustain themselves? I wonder where I have seen that before?
She/Her
bisexual milf

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:24 pm

I think people are kinda missing the entire point that Chichi is meant to be a dumb hick whose knowledge of romance and married life purely comes from romance magazines. Her desire is to be the traditional wife of the kind of husband that does the kind of things husbands do according to her magazines. This tends to go over the heads of especially "deebeezee fans" a lot. And uh, over the heads of Toei's Z writers.

This is also why Mayumi Sho will always be the only true Chichi. She really sold the "dumb hick" angle well.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:22 pm

I agree they should get divorced. Then they can put Chi-Chi in the show even less then she is now.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:24 pm

The kids are glueing that marriage together. Gohan and his wife and child, and Goten too I guess.

Plus, Chi-Chi isn't going to let the strongest fighter go now, is she?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:21 pm

Going by this logic, nobody in Dragon Ball should've been married.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

SonTao

Post by SonTao » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:56 pm

Trouser wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:21 pm Going by this logic, nobody in Dragon Ball should've been married.
To be honest... I think the only good couple has really been Krillin and 18. Bulma and Vegeta are probably traumatizing Trunks, and Gohan REALLY needs therapy. Not even just from the fights.
Gohan is a neeeeerd.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:32 am

SonTao wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:56 pm
Trouser wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:21 pm Going by this logic, nobody in Dragon Ball should've been married.
To be honest... I think the only good couple has really been Krillin and 18. Bulma and Vegeta are probably traumatizing Trunks, and Gohan REALLY needs therapy. Not even just from the fights.
The funny thing is Gohan is more intelligent than Chi Chi and Goku combined. Gohan has surpassed Goku a couple of times.
I would say that Gohan is the perfect son.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:49 pm

Goku was... special.

Could it be considered abuse of a mentally challenged person?

Goku did not know what marriage was before giving his "consent" for that. He was very young when he agreed to it and he was 19 when he married. Very young.

However I am sure no other woman could have ever been a fitting wife for Goku other than Chichi and I am glad they did get together because one of my favorite characters is Gohan, the fruit of their love. And Goku loves Gohan very much too, I am sure he enjoyed being a father.

I know some people dislike Chichi but she acted according to what she believed it was best. A son with a brilliant career would guarantee economical safety. Most of the times no one kept her updated of what was exactly going on and she suffered pregnancy and delivery of her second child, as well as raising him without a father. Chichi still found time to teach Goten about martial arts and controlling his ki because by Buu saga Chichi had had character growth.

I think Gohan would have been happier with Goku next to him during teenagehood difficult years. A divorce is not always a good choice when there are children involved. It is a complex issue of course.

Glad I am not the only one who takes DB characters very seriously.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:01 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:49 pm Goku was... special.

Could it be considered abuse of a mentally challenged person?

Goku did not know what marriage was before giving his "consent" for that. He was very young when he agreed to it and he was 19 when he married. Very young.

However I am sure no other woman could have ever been a fitting wife for Goku other than Chichi and I am glad they did get together because one of my favorite characters is Gohan, the fruit of their love. And Goku loves Gohan very much too, I am sure he enjoyed being a father.

I know some people dislike Chichi but she acted according to what she believed it was best. A son with a brilliant career would guarantee economical safety. Most of the times no one kept her updated of what was exactly going on and she suffered pregnancy and delivery of her second child, as well as raising him without a father. Chichi still found time to teach Goten about martial arts and controlling his ki because by Buu saga Chichi had had character growth.

I think Gohan would have been happier with Goku next to him during teenagehood difficult years. A divorce is not always a good choice when there are children involved. It is a complex issue of course.

Glad I am not the only one who takes DB characters very seriously.
Sadly DBS Anime ruined Chi Chi as a character and she became a spoiled brat that has to be her way. Doesn't allow Goten to train or fight in anyway. Goten isn't allowed to compete with Goku in anyway, isn't allowed to spar with him or travel to another planet to train.

Chi Chi didn't allow Gohan to choose how to raise Pan, Chi Chi locked Gohan out of the room. She wanted only herself, Bulma (not blood related) and Videl to make the choice how to raise Pan. Talk about control freak.

Chi Chi even forced Kuririn to do Goku job.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:01 am

Seekeroftruth wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:37 am As the dynamic of relationship changes ,aka becoming husband/wife and parents, many women expect the man to change, become more responsible and put the needs of their family first. However, Goku did not change and remain the same, carefree guy that Chichi first met in Dragon Ball.
Haha, most women will leave/divorce you the first second when she succesfully "domesticated"/changed you. That's why most marriage ends up in divorce because you (man) will not be same person that the women fallen love in the first place. As a man you should NEVER change too much, and never allow women to have power over you, that way you will be far more interesting to women and the relationship will keep it's dynamic.

As for Dragon Ball Chi Chi very much aware of this that she can't change Goku but thats WHY she loves him so much, he remained the same carefree guy and no power is able to change this in him.