Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:25 pm

The silliness of "My Dragon Ball Era is better than YOUR Dragon Ball Era" is honestly besides the point. How good Daima is or isn't is going to be unrelated to any previous series, and is something that can be determined both on its own merits and the merits of as a work of art in general. The intra-franchise chest thumping of establishing one's sense of superiority is, frankly, lame.

My less polite way of saying this is basically: stop acting so insecure over Super's validity. It exists, it's never going aware, just like any other part of the franchise. We'll still be talking about Super in 2044, just like we're still talking about all the other series.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:25 pm The silliness of "My Dragon Ball Era is better than YOUR Dragon Ball Era" is honestly besides the point. How good Daima is or isn't is going to be unrelated to any previous series, and is something that can be determined bith on its own merits and the merits of as a work of art in general. The intra-franchise chest thumping of establishing one's sense of superiority is, frankly, lame.

My less polite way of saying this is basically: stop acting so insecure over Super's validity. It exists, it's never going aware, just like any other part of the franchise. We'll still be talking about Super in 2044, just like we're still talking about all the other series.
I agree with this general sentiment.
Whatever problems DB, Z, Super, GT or any other entries had, those are their problems.
The only thing any sensible person should hope out of Daima is that it'll be good, period.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:43 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:25 pm The silliness of "My Dragon Ball Era is better than YOUR Dragon Ball Era" is honestly besides the point. How good Daima is or isn't is going to be unrelated to any previous series, and is something that can be determined bith on its own merits and the merits of as a work of art in general. The intra-franchise chest thumping of establishing one's sense of superiority is, frankly, lame.

I agree with this general sentiment.
Whatever problems DB, Z, Super, GT or any other entries had, those are their problems.
The only thing any sensible person should hope out of Daima is that it'll be good, period.
Yeah, like, I feel like trying to make comparions to other parts of the franchise is just needless antagonizing. What makes a good television series lies far, far beyond referencing back to other parts of its franchise. Daima needs to a good television series, not a good Dragon Ball series, and quality art as a concept exists waaaaaay outside of the simple bounds of Dragon Ball.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:25 pm The silliness of "My Dragon Ball Era is better than YOUR Dragon Ball Era" is honestly besides the point. How good Daima is or isn't is going to be unrelated to any previous series, and is something that can be determined both on its own merits and the merits of as a work of art in general. The intra-franchise chest thumping of establishing one's sense of superiority is, frankly, lame.

But that's kind of impossible since, well, it's Dragon Ball. More importantly it's a Dragon Ball piece of fiction that specifically and purposely harking back to the og Dragon Ball (as well as maybe, possibly being a sorta remake to GT) The comparisons are all going to be made because the series and its creators are actively making them. So I think it's totally fair for people to look at Daima in relationship of "how good of a Dragon Ball series is it." Can we also look at Daima as its own thing? Yeah, I guess. But to say that people shouldn't judge it on the basis of the franchise that it is absolutely using to sell to an audience is a bit silly.

In regards to Super. I have no issues comparing it with Z because that is the comparison that Super wants to make. So make it I will: Super is both a poor follow up to both DB and Z, as well as a bad anime in its own right.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:26 am

As far as I can see, there is no evidence that Daima doesn't fall within the Super timeline. The absence of Beerus and Whis isn't evidence.

Regardless, Daima is still a product of the Revival/Modern era, therefore it will share story beats with Super.

I don't see this series having anything in common with GT besides the broad concept of Goku reverting to a kid (and it's EVERYONE in this case). I certainly don't expect the planet to blow up or any of that GT nonsense, nor do I expect the writers to be confused on whether they want to rehash OG Dragon Ball (Kid Goku on an advenure) or DBZ (Adult Goku wih magical pants beating up bad guys with edgy music playing on background).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:40 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:26 am As far as I can see, there is no evidence that Daima doesn't fall within the Super timeline. The absence of Beerus and Whis isn't evidence.
We probably wont get a straight answer one way or the other.

I don't see this series having anything in common with GT besides the broad concept of Goku reverting to a kid (and it's EVERYONE in this case). (

Yeah, people are jumping the gun on calling it a GT remake

Adult Goku wih magical pants beating up bad guys with edgy music playing on background).
The edgy music is Funimation dub only (and not even relevant to that dub in nearly 20 years)

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 am

I wasn’t really saying that Daima “is” a remake to GT. You’re right that that’s probably not the intention, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a comparison made by people producing the anime. It certainly will be one by the people who are watching it.

I absolutely do think the absence of Whis and Beerus is evidence because those are the two characters most representative of the “Super era.” If Daima is meant to be another Chapter in the Super franchise, then those two would be featured. Add to the fact that nothing from Super seems to be shown and the characters appear to be in their Buu-era attire, then yeah I think it’s fair to question whether or not this takes place during Super. At the very least this suggest some alt universe shenanigans.

Never seen someone so determined to drag Z through the mud.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:18 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 am I wasn’t really saying that Daima “is” a remake to GT. You’re right that that’s probably not the intention, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a comparison made by people producing the anime. It certainly will be one by the people who are watching it.

I absolutely do think the absence of Whis and Beerus is evidence because those are the two characters most representative of the “Super era.” If Daima is meant to be another Chapter in the Super franchise, then those two would be featured. Add to the fact that nothing from Super seems to be shown and the characters appear to be in their Buu-era attire, then yeah I think it’s fair to question whether or not this takes place during Super. At the very least this suggest some alt universe shenanigans.

I mean, Beerus and Whis were largely absent from Super Hero too, besides a very brief cameo. Which, probably wasn't planned from the beginning, since the movie was originally conceived as a Piccolo-centric story and the Saiyans were added after. Plus, Vegeta is wearing his Cell saga/Super armour in Daima.

Since this seems to be an Earth-cenric story like Super Hero, I'm not surprised that Beerus and Whis are absent. They don't live on Earth, so they can be easily excluded from an Earth-centric story.

I speculate that this series takes place in the time gap between the Broly and Super Hero movies. A midquel of a midquel, perfect.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:57 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:26 am As far as I can see, there is no evidence that Daima doesn't fall within the Super timeline. The absence of Beerus and Whis isn't evidence.

Regardless, Daima is still a product of the Revival/Modern era, therefore it will share story beats with Super.

I don't see this series having anything in common with GT besides the broad concept of Goku reverting to a kid (and it's EVERYONE in this case). I certainly don't expect the planet to blow up or any of that GT nonsense, nor do I expect the writers to be confused on whether they want to rehash OG Dragon Ball (Kid Goku on an advenure) or DBZ (Adult Goku wih magical pants beating up bad guys with edgy music playing on background).
I don’t understand why the “magic pants” are such an issue. Dragon Ball is no stranger to having clothing and other inanimate objects materialize from nowhere. Look at the outfit that fusion characters wear. Or the fact that Fat Boo wears boxing gloves, even though the Dai Kaioshin didn’t have those.

Anyway, given that the initial premise for GT involved Goku becoming a kid again as a means to deposed him, it’s not difficult to see the similarities based on what little we know regarding Daima.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am

I hope Dragon Ball Daima doesn't have the same flaws as DBS, such as exaggerating the characters negative flaws to maximum level.
I hope power scale isn't a huge mess like DBS.

I don't have any problem with magic clothes, since transformation, techniques and magic can produce clothes. Piccolo can create weapons and clothes out of nothing.

DBS Goku is less intelligent than DBZ Goku by a lot.
DBS Chi Chi is more selfish and annoying than DBZ Buu Saga Chi Chi by a lot.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:25 am

super michael wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am DBS Goku is less intelligent than DBZ Goku by a lot.
DBS Chi Chi is more selfish and annoying than DBZ Buu Saga Chi Chi by a lot.
Yup.

Goku in Z was no saint (Sparing irreedemable monsters like the Ginyus, Freeza, allowing the Cyborgs to be activated, destroying the Potara, etc.) but Goku in Super was downright sociopathic in the way he expressed things like he would fight the entire multiverse with glee even if that meant their cessation of existence.

Likewise, Chichi in the final arc of Z was more lax with Goten, even training him to do martial arts himself, and got her back off Gohan once he married VidelAnd then Super happens, and she is once again in "STUDY, STUDY, STUDY, FUCK MARTIAL ARTS!!!" mode, like... what happened?! Lady, your son is married to the daughter of the world's most important person, what else do you want?!

I sure hope the characters aren't treated like caricatures again.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 pm

I think we should see this project as separate from the revival. It's a way to celebrate the franchise's 40th anniversary. They don't need to incorporate elements from Super into it. It makes sense that for this special celebration, they want to do something that pays homage to the original manga, which aligns better with that. The animated Super-related content will most likely just resume after Daima.

After rewatching the first Teaser Trailer, I'm inclined to believe that the story takes place between the end of the Buu saga and Battle of Gods. The trailer is introduced as "a story never before told," which seems to refer to a story that has already occurred, is set in the past, but is only now being told. It's possible that this is a story Toriyama had been considering for some time, possibly even before the revival began. The Makaioshins/Demon-rulers are watching images in their palace, all of which date back to before the end of the Buu arc. Assuming Daima takes place after Battle of Gods, and these antagonists see Goku and the Z-fighters as a real threat, it wouldn't make sense for there to be no footage of the battles against Beerus, Golden Frieza, Zamasu, etc. The fact that they are watching the battles against Babidi, Majin Buu (and taking further action based on that) makes me feel like this is a direct sequel to the Buu arc.

It's possible that Beerus and Whis might have a brief cameo (they could appear without directly meeting the Z-fighters) as fan service, but I don't think they'll play a significant role in this story. By the way, Ian Sinclair was present at the presentation of the Daima trailer, I believe he asked Iyoku about Whis's involvement in the series, and Iyoku responded very doubtfully.

It's still possible that they deliberately omitted the Super-related elements now to let us speculate about the story and when exactly it takes place. Another possibility is that they won't give this side-story a very exact placement in the timeline and leave it to our imagination when it occurs.

In any case, for me, there doesn't necessarily need to be a link to the revival content. It can certainly be something that stands entirely on its own, why not?

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:45 pm

Me personally I hope Daima is a complete different continuity, it breaks away from the limits of having to follow the Canon ending of the manga, which is what Super should have done tbh.

I know it won't happen but it makes less confusing the timelines of events haha.

On a side note, jeez it sure is fun to see people keep arguing over Super's quality, or GT's quality (with the comparisons made to Daima as if it was bad that Goku was a kid), or whatever.

It's so easy to just enjoy the show, relax, no need to be rude :lol:
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:24 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 pm After rewatching the first Teaser Trailer, I'm inclined to believe that the story takes place between the end of the Buu saga and Battle of Gods.
According to the trailers, the Kaioshin and Kibito aren't fused in Daima, so it can't happen before Battle of Gods. I don't see why they'd make it after BoG but before the rest of Super, so it's safer to say it's after Super.
I haven't watched most of the anime in a long time, but I did read the manga over and over again.
That is where most of my knowledge from the series come from.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:27 am

Caulifor wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:24 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 pm After rewatching the first Teaser Trailer, I'm inclined to believe that the story takes place between the end of the Buu saga and Battle of Gods.
According to the trailers, the Kaioshin and Kibito aren't fused in Daima, so it can't happen before Battle of Gods. I don't see why they'd make it after BoG but before the rest of Super, so it's safer to say it's after Super.
I would also guess after Tournament of Power at least. I know some theorized the age reversal split Kibito and Shin but that wouldn't make sense since the wish didn't properly rewind time for any of the other characters and just chibi'd t
them

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 am I wasn’t really saying that Daima “is” a remake to GT. You’re right that that’s probably not the intention, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a comparison made by people producing the anime. It certainly will be one by the people who are watching it.

It's like I've said all of that time ago when Daima was first revealed. I feel like this series is most likely going to take place in an A.U. where Super just... didn't really happen. I mean, given what we know about Beerus and Shin's connection? There's no way in heck that he'd be so quick so as to fully trust GOKU to look after Shin alone.

Frankly, this show's very existence makes me wonder if DB is set to go the "A.U. route" going forward. That is to say, outside of Toriyama's own OG story (From Goku meeting Bulma to Goku and Uub leaving the 28th W.M.A.T. before it can properly wrap up), the franchise will branch out and explore different parts of DB that could have potentially occurred during various timeskips and whatnot (Super, Daima, AND GT retroactively being among them).

For the record, I'm including Super as part of the A.U. thing.

By the way, there's something I've been wondering. Do we think Goku (and maybe Vegeta and the other Saiyans) will need to re-unlock Super Saiyan? I don't know, I just see that being the case, given the rumors that transformations won't be a big focus of this series (which I'm personally VERY grateful for, actually).

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:24 pm

Caulifor wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:24 am
In the Daima trailer, you can see that they both have an earring of the same color, on opposite ears. Moreover, they look at each other with a great deal of surprise while standing very close to each other.

This might be because they just have just defused. In both DBZ and the Universe 6 saga of Super, Kibito and Shin wear earrings of different colors.

Why would they suddenly revert to wearing earrings of the same color after U6, which typically signifies a fusion?

BUT: this is my headcanon at this point, so you might be right. Even if it's placed after Super Hero, i still think the Super-elements (Whis, Beerus, God-forms) are going to be minimalized in order to give this specific story a universal, timeless feeling. Although i think it'll be a part of the existing continuity, untill now all works with Toriyama's involvement have been in contuinity. I don't expect Toriyama's last work to be AU.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:09 pm

It's also possible that Toriyama forgot that Shin and Kibito fused together and decided to retcon their fusion as never happening.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:02 am

dragonballhero wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm By the way, there's something I've been wondering. Do we think Goku (and maybe Vegeta and the other Saiyans) will need to re-unlock Super Saiyan? I don't know, I just see that being the case, given the rumors that transformations won't be a big focus of this series (which I'm personally VERY grateful for, actually).
Remember, up until SSJ4, transformations weren't a big focus in GT either. They were there, but they were very sparsely used for unknown reasons, most fans theorizing it was to conserve energy.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:09 pm It's also possible that Toriyama forgot that Shin and Kibito fused together and decided to retcon their fusion as never happening.
Or he'll just go, "Something something, there was a time limit because Kibito has some Kaioshin nullifying power, don't question it."

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:01 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:09 pm It's also possible that Toriyama forgot that Shin and Kibito fused together and decided to retcon their fusion as never happening.
That is possible, just like how Future Trunks always had blue hair and never had purple hair.

DBS Super Heroes Trunks has blue hair, yet Gotenks has black and purple hair, even though Trunks doesn't have purple hair.
In EOZ Trunks has purple hair, even though DBS Super Heroes has blue hair.

DBS Vegito lacks Vegeta armors and just look identical to Buu Saga Vegito for no reason.

DBS is all about retcon.