Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:56 pm

I'm not an especially "bloodthirsty" fan, but I definitely see the appeal in terms of giving Dragon Ball any sense of edge. The Super anime's conspicuous avoidance of blood in key scenes (i.e. after Freeza and #17 successfully tag-teaming Jiren (not like that), Jiren spews out... a puddle of clear saliva) was more distracting and visually confusing than anything. However, I definitely don't sense that Daima will be the series to push blood again. It screams over-sanitised kids' show.

I'm still interested in Shin's expanded role. It's easy to forget that this guy is many thousands of times stronger than Namek arc Freeza; he could destroy a planet with just as much ease as Beerus if he wanted to. As a literal god, he may retain more power than Goku while they're both in child forms. It would be interesting to see Shin played up as more of a powerhouse, though I have a doubtful feeling he will still be written as an effete, cowardly weakling. The story seems to be leaning into Buu arc lore and imagery, so I wonder if Grand Kaioshin will make any appearances, either through flashbacks or the Super manga plot point of him still sharing a body with Buu, Jekyll & Hyde style? The latter is pretty unlikely but I'd like to see that concept better utilised, rather than him just being treated as Buu minus all the fun powers and personality.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:32 pm

I like blood and hyper violence, because animators tend to make it look cool. It's a nice flavor to have, and one that I wish wasn't quite for hampered due to the commercial interests of the relatively select few projects that are made.

That being said, it's quite obvious that if we were going to get a bloody Dragon Ball project it would be immediately clear that it was meant for an adult audience, rather than the no-brainer international-friendly audience of Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Daima. I would be surprised about any fun little bits of hard-hitting violence sneaking into Dragon Ball Daima, it's much easier to avoid that and give licensees more incentive to pick up Toei Animation's new project.

That said, I do wish that Toei Animation would invest in perhaps creating two different edits, if only to lend the production crew more wiggle room to play around with things like violence in the battles, but I'm hardly surprised that a corporation would think the additional resources and time simply aren't worth the effort, especially if it winds up leading to making a licensee less likely to license a property that might be 'tained' by things like a potential second version.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:47 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:56 pm I'm not an especially "bloodthirsty" fan, but I definitely see the appeal in terms of giving Dragon Ball any sense of edge. The Super anime's conspicuous avoidance of blood in key scenes (i.e. after Freeza and #17 successfully tag-teaming Jiren (not like that), Jiren spews out... a puddle of clear saliva) was more distracting and visually confusing than anything. However, I definitely don't sense that Daima will be the series to push blood again. It screams over-sanitised kids' show.

I'm still interested in Shin's expanded role. It's easy to forget that this guy is many thousands of times stronger than Namek arc Freeza; he could destroy a planet with just as much ease as Beerus if he wanted to. As a literal god, he may retain more power than Goku while they're both in child forms. It would be interesting to see Shin played up as more of a powerhouse, though I have a doubtful feeling he will still be written as an effete, cowardly weakling. The story seems to be leaning into Buu arc lore and imagery, so I wonder if Grand Kaioshin will make any appearances, either through flashbacks or the Super manga plot point of him still sharing a body with Buu, Jekyll & Hyde style? The latter is pretty unlikely but I'd like to see that concept better utilised, rather than him just being treated as Buu minus all the fun powers and personality.

I'm also very excited about that, its such an odd pairing but its so much different from the usual status quo that I can’t help but be genuinely intrigued as to how things unfold. The one thing that may potentially annoy me is if they have this super cool adventure where they meet a bunch of unique characters and then it turns out to be a self contained story that will never be used in DB again.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:32 pm I like blood and hyper violence, because animators tend to make it look cool. It's a nice flavor to have, and one that I wish wasn't quite for hampered due to the commercial interests of the relatively select few projects that are made.

That being said, it's quite obvious that if we were going to get a bloody Dragon Ball project it would be immediately clear that it was meant for an adult audience, rather than the no-brainer international-friendly audience of Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Daima. I would be surprised about any fun little bits of hard-hitting violence sneaking into Dragon Ball Daima, it's much easier to avoid that and give licensees more incentive to pick up Toei Animation's new project.

That said, I do wish that Toei Animation would invest in perhaps creating two different edits, if only to lend the production crew more wiggle room to play around with things like violence in the battles, but I'm hardly surprised that a corporation would think the additional resources and time simply aren't worth the effort, especially if it winds up leading to making a licensee less likely to license a property that might be 'tained' by things like a potential second version.
Agreed, it's just cool. Toei producing bloodier uncut edits with higher age ratings on the side would be fun if they could be bothered to spend the extra money. I find it funny how Toyotaro seemed to react to the sanitisation of the anime by gradually increasing the blood and violence levels in the manga exclusive arcs until it matched the original series. Seeing Moro messily impale Goku with his entire regenerated arm was shocking enough on the page, imagine how fuckin grisly it would be in animation...
tonysoprano300 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:47 pm I'm also very excited about that, its such an odd pairing but its so much different from the usual status quo that I can’t help but be genuinely intrigued as to how things unfold. The one thing that may potentially annoy me is if they have this super cool adventure where they meet a bunch of unique characters and then it turns out to be a self contained story that will never be used in DB again.
Yeah, Shin's role was one of the first things that really caught my eye. I have a feeling Daima will really be his arc where he gets some real character development and key moments in the plot. It looks like he and Goku will share many quiet scenes together this time, I can imagine some slightly more introspective scenes like this going down (I may have got carried away with a fanfic scenario, which is probably too continuity-heavy and anti-Goku in sentiment to actually happen, but fuck it)
Over the last few months, reactions to Daima have definitely changed. Sadly, it feels like there really isn't much hype for it anymore. Hardly anyone talks about it, let alone speculates about the plot. I must admit, I don't have extremely high hopes for it, I feel that the moment to try and recapture the early DB vibe with Jackie Chan-style slapstick action that we saw in the latest trailer has long passed, though there are elements that interest me. I want it to have lasting consequences, but considering that we don't even know the timeline placement, I have my doubts.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:12 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:07 pm Sadly, it feels like there really isn't much hype for it anymore. Hardly anyone talks about it, let alone speculates about the plot.
Only because we don't have any news in general since a long while, which hopefully should be changing soon.
Tease a potential Goku + Shin Potara Fusion and you get all the hype back :angel:
I think it could be cool if done correctly, focusing on Goku's battle smarts and Shin's telekinetic abilities.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:53 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:12 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:07 pm Sadly, it feels like there really isn't much hype for it anymore. Hardly anyone talks about it, let alone speculates about the plot.
Only because we don't have any news in general since a long while, which hopefully should be changing soon.
Tease a potential Goku + Shin Potara Fusion and you get all the hype back :angel:
I think it could be cool if done correctly, focusing on Goku's battle smarts and Shin's telekinetic abilities.
Toei are extremely dumb for not keeping up the momentum with character trailers. Honestly, I expected more people, especially here, to be raving over the return of the aforementioned Jackie Chan slapstick martial arts choreography in the Goku trailer. Hipster fans often say they want Dragon Ball to go back to those vibes rather than tug-of-wars between massive throbbing chi blasts, but now it's finally happening, nobody cares. For better or worse, the whole de-ageing plot point greatly overshadows everything about this project, even the fact that this is likely Toriyama's last ever Dragon Ball story. Most Western fans are dismissive of it, Japanese fans seem to view it more favourably, but I'd imagine there are many all over the world who ultimately prefer the extreme action of Dragon Ball Z that they've grown accustomed to.

I suppose a Shin/Goku fusion wouldn't be permanent since one of them isn't a Kaioshin?

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:10 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:07 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:32 pm I like blood and hyper violence, because animators tend to make it look cool. It's a nice flavor to have, and one that I wish wasn't quite for hampered due to the commercial interests of the relatively select few projects that are made.

Agreed, it's just cool. Toei producing bloodier uncut edits with higher age ratings on the side would be fun if they could be bothered to spend the extra money. I find it funny how Toyotaro seemed to react to the sanitisation of the anime by gradually increasing the blood and violence levels in the manga exclusive arcs until it matched the original series. Seeing Moro messily impale Goku with his entire regenerated arm was shocking enough on the page, imagine how fuckin grisly it would be in animation...
tonysoprano300 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:47 pm I'm also very excited about that, its such an odd pairing but its so much different from the usual status quo that I can’t help but be genuinely intrigued as to how things unfold. The one thing that may potentially annoy me is if they have this super cool adventure where they meet a bunch of unique characters and then it turns out to be a self contained story that will never be used in DB again.
Yeah, Shin's role was one of the first things that really caught my eye. I have a feeling Daima will really be his arc where he gets some real character development and key moments in the plot. It looks like he and Goku will share many quiet scenes together this time, I can imagine some slightly more introspective scenes like this going down (I may have got carried away with a fanfic scenario, which is probably too continuity-heavy and anti-Goku in sentiment to actually happen, but fuck it)
Over the last few months, reactions to Daima have definitely changed. Sadly, it feels like there really isn't much hype for it anymore. Hardly anyone talks about it, let alone speculates about the plot. I must admit, I don't have extremely high hopes for it, I feel that the moment to try and recapture the early DB vibe with Jackie Chan-style slapstick action that we saw in the latest trailer has long passed, though there are elements that interest me. I want it to have lasting consequences, but considering that we don't even know the timeline placement, I have my doubts.
Imo its because most people grew up with “DBZ”, the general understanding is that DB is a series about roided up dudes punching each other and the story is just an excuse for that to happen.

Its certainly not how I see the franchise, but from a marketing POV who am i gonna cater to? I'm just glad we’re getting a product like Daima to begin with.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:12 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:53 pm I suppose a Shin/Goku fusion wouldn't be permanent since one of them isn't a Kaioshin?
No, it is enough if one is a Kaioshin. Like the old Kaioshin who fused with a witch. It doesn't have to be both gods, just one of them, then the fusion is permanent. It only dissolves if both participants are mortal.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:18 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:53 pmI suppose a Shin/Goku fusion wouldn't be permanent since one of them isn't a Kaioshin?
It would be "permanent." The Elder Kai is a fusion of a kai and the spirit of an old woman. As long as at one one of the two are kais, the fusion will not end. But remember, there are dragon balls. Shin's already used them to defuse once already, so even the "permanent" fusions aren't really permanent.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:37 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:53 pm
Xeogran wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:12 pm
Toei are extremely dumb for not keeping up the momentum with character trailers. Honestly, I expected more people, especially here, to be raving over the return of the aforementioned Jackie Chan slapstick martial arts choreography in the Goku trailer. Hipster fans often say they want Dragon Ball to go back to those vibes rather than tug-of-wars between massive throbbing chi blasts, but now it's finally happening, nobody cares. For better or worse, the whole de-ageing plot point greatly overshadows everything about this project, even the fact that this is likely Toriyama's last ever Dragon Ball story. Most Western fans are dismissive of it, Japanese fans seem to view it more favourably, but I'd imagine there are many all over the world who ultimately prefer the extreme action of Dragon Ball Z that they've grown accustomed to.

Hopefully they started getting more aggressive with the marketing by July ish if its scheduled release is October

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:35 pm

I'm starting to wonder if Daima will be released all at once or release weekly. We know there will be a Fuji TV airing, but that doesn't discount it from getting a batch release on streaming. I'm hoping it's weekly since that builds discussion and hype, also it's easier to keep up that way. I still haven't gotten around to Sand Land just because it dropped so randomly, and it's pretty easy to see that there isn't much discussion about it either. Though I'll still watch Daima no matter how it releases.

Also, unrelated, but it makes me wonder if Daima will get its own subforum on these forums, it seems like more of a side project, but Kai has its own subforum, so who knows. I guess it's up for the moderators to decide, not like we know much about the series yet.
Go over time and space...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:59 pm

CodeOfMe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:35 pm I'm starting to wonder if Daima will be released all at once or release weekly. We know there will be a Fuji TV airing, but that doesn't discount it from getting a batch release on streaming. I'm hoping it's weekly since that builds discussion and hype, also it's easier to keep up that way. I still haven't gotten around to Sand Land just because it dropped so randomly, and it's pretty easy to see that there isn't much discussion about it either. Though I'll still watch Daima no matter how it releases.

Also, unrelated, but it makes me wonder if Daima will get its own subforum on these forums, it seems like more of a side project, but Kai has its own subforum, so who knows. I guess it's up for the moderators to decide, not like we know much about the series yet.
If they've decided to air this on Fuji TV then they won't, in all likelihood, be doing a batch release on streaming. Daima is going to air one episode a week, likely in the 9AM Sunday slot, and unless someone besides Crunchyroll has the streaming rights, then that shit is going to be streamed an hour later on Crunchyroll.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:59 pmlikely in the 9AM Sunday slot
Interestingly, it's looking like it might not be in that slot. Tousouchuu is currently at that time and one of the PAs was spotted on Twitter saying "One year left!", so unless it's somehow being moved, it's possible that Daima will take the Sunday night Fuji slot that Demon Slayer inhabited instead.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:36 pm

Ajay wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:27 pm
Interestingly, it's looking like it might not be in that slot. Tousouchuu is currently at that time and one of the PAs was spotted on Twitter saying "One year left!", so unless it's somehow being moved, it's possible that Daima will take the Sunday night Fuji slot that Demon Slayer inhabited instead.
Woah, thanks for letting us know. Perhaps Fuji will open up another slot somewhere? It'll be a cold day in Hell if they sent One Piece on break to air Daima. I can see the production committee (or at least, a certain someone) wanting to give Daima the prestige of the same slot at Demon Slayer, though.
She/Her
bisexual milf

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:49 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:07 pm Yeah, Shin's role was one of the first things that really caught my eye. I have a feeling Daima will really be his arc where he gets some real character development and key moments in the plot. It looks like he and Goku will share many quiet scenes together this time, I can imagine some slightly more introspective scenes like this going down (I may have got carried away with a fanfic scenario, which is probably too continuity-heavy and anti-Goku in sentiment to actually happen, but fuck it)
Honestly, I felt the same way. Hearing (and now, SEEING) that Shin (of all characters) was going to be propped up as a lead character for Daima, possibly on Goku's level definitely intrigues me more than the combination of Goku, Pan, and Trunks (and Giru) in GT.

What's more, with how Shin has been treated by both the cast in-universe (especially in Super) and the fandom looking at him as quite inpet, this show truly might serve as his redemption, hopefully.

Still though, it's times like this where I feel a bit bad for DB, as it seems to be hampered by both Toriyama's style and the franchise's own popularity to not dig a bit deeper into these sorts of subject matters. I mean, one has to admit that it DOES feel like things wrapped up a bit too neatly in the Majin Buu arc, in the sense that no one did any serious self-reflection as to how the Majin Buu conflict kind of spiraled out of control the way it did.

Your little convo here between Shin and Goku was a bit more cathartic to me than you might think. Heck, I STILL feel as though Vegeta got off WAY too easy by the end of the Majin Buu arc, so to see Shin here call out his and Goku's terrible decision of throwing caution to the wind in regards to Buu really struck me, even if it's probably not going to be addressed in the show proper.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:27 am

dragonballhero wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:49 pm intrigues me more than the combination of Goku, Pan, and Trunks (and Giru) in GT.
Not me, I'm of the opinion that Pan should have been the secondary MC of Daima. This was a good chance for her first adventure (since her brief Super Hero role was more of an action stunt)
OFC if it happens after Buu like speculated then she won't even be born here yet, but who knows? They are hiding Gohan's family for some reason.

Shin is ok but I can already feel he will be the straight-man guide character, much like GT Trunks was, while Goku gets the action.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:38 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:49 pm
Honestly, I felt the same way. Hearing (and now, SEEING) that Shin (of all characters) was going to be propped up as a lead character for Daima, possibly on Goku's level definitely intrigues me more than the combination of Goku, Pan, and Trunks (and Giru) in GT.

What's more, with how Shin has been treated by both the cast in-universe (especially in Super) and the fandom looking at him as quite inpet, this show truly might serve as his redemption, hopefully.

Still though, it's times like this where I feel a bit bad for DB, as it seems to be hampered by both Toriyama's style and the franchise's own popularity to not dig a bit deeper into these sorts of subject matters. I mean, one has to admit that it DOES feel like things wrapped up a bit too neatly in the Majin Buu arc, in the sense that no one did any serious self-reflection as to how the Majin Buu conflict kind of spiraled out of control the way it did.

Your little convo here between Shin and Goku was a bit more cathartic to me than you might think. Heck, I STILL feel as though Vegeta got off WAY too easy by the end of the Majin Buu arc, so to see Shin here call out his and Goku's terrible decision of throwing caution to the wind in regards to Buu really struck me, even if it's probably not going to be addressed in the show proper.
Thank you :) I like the idea that there would naturally be some lingering tension between Goku and Shin from that time Goku threatened to shoot him in the face if he didn't stand aside, particularly since they've never had to spend this much time together. Their dynamic will be refreshingly different compared to what Pan and Trunks would offer if they were brought in yet again. It might not manifest in a conversation but perhaps in other, subtler ways. Some people here have suggested that the de-ageing premise may ironically be a way for Toriyama to reflect on themes of mortality and the self-reflection that tends to bring, so I also hope the mistakes made by the main characters in the Buu arc (and beyond) play a role in this. These two new sorcerer dudes must be connected to either Babidi, Dabura or both, somehow.

Although we haven't seen much of Vegeta yet, I can't imagine his role will be small, even if he isn't Goku's main questing companion this time around. The last few Super arcs have emphasised how much Vegeta has changed for the better, particularly in regard to atoning for his past sins and caring for his family, while Goku only seems to be getting worse on both those fronts.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:34 pm

Zinnia wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:27 am
dragonballhero wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:49 pm intrigues me more than the combination of Goku, Pan, and Trunks (and Giru) in GT.
Not me, I'm of the opinion that Pan should have been the secondary MC of Daima. This was a good chance for her first adventure (since her brief Super Hero role was more of an action stunt)
OFC if it happens after Buu like speculated then she won't even be born here yet, but who knows? They are hiding Gohan's family for some reason.

Shin is ok but I can already feel he will be the straight-man guide character, much like GT Trunks was, while Goku gets the action.
I second this, Shin is as interesting as a door knob IMO.
I will always vouch for Pan getting protagonist role.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:45 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:36 pm
Ajay wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:27 pm
Woah, thanks for letting us know. Perhaps Fuji will open up another slot somewhere? It'll be a cold day in Hell if they sent One Piece on break to air Daima. I can see the production committee (or at least, a certain someone) wanting to give Daima the prestige of the same slot at Demon Slayer, though.
Hopefully this could mean it's got more freedom visually...
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:34 pm
Zinnia wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:27 am

I second this, Shin is as interesting as a door knob IMO.
I will always vouch for Pan getting protagonist role.
Broly was made really interesting, why can't Shin work? Besides, there's a lot of potentially great black story coming from him m

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:49 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:45 am Broly was made really interesting, why can't Shin work? Besides, there's a lot of potentially great black story coming from him m
Well, it was a different case. Broly was a character created by Toei reworked into canon by Toriyama.
Shin is a character created by Toriyama from the get-go that so far has a terrible track record of usefulness. And I just don't mean in fighting, I mean general usefulness. I genuinely can't remember a single thing this guy has ever done, be it in the original or Super, that was worthwhile.

I will give praise if they do him justice, but I'm not holding my hopes up.