Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 am

I also don't see why some people need blood and gore to enjoy a Dragon Ball series.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:34 am

Yeah as I thought. The leakers miunderstood Daima for Sandland. Sandland was announced when they thought Daima would and it was never supposed to be an online anime. The source saw Toriyama artstyle and assumed it was DB.

Curious about the lenght. To air on Fuji TV doesn't seem it will be as short as we thought.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:15 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 am I also don't see why some people need blood and gore to enjoy a Dragon Ball series.
I don't need it but it gives more emotional impact.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:15 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 am I also don't see why some people need blood and gore to enjoy a Dragon Ball series.
They're fun to have on screen.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:54 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:21 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:14 am https://natalie.mu/comic/news/564622

The television broadcast begins this fall on Fuji TV.

It's going to be interesting to see how long this series lasts, then. If the series airs at 9AM they would either need a replacement quickly, or the series will last for one or two years.
That's kinda bad news because it will mean censorship, won't it? If it will air for one year I will be very surprised. I don't think it will air longer than one season with Toriyama having passed away (still feels unreal to write, say or think that).
It won't mean censorship because the show is being made with the understanding of Fuji Tv's current broadcast standards and practices just like Super was.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:54 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:14 am https://natalie.mu/comic/news/564622

The television broadcast begins this fall on Fuji TV.

It's going to be interesting to see how long this series lasts, then. If the series airs at 9AM they would either need a replacement quickly, or the series will last for one or two years.
That's kinda bad news because it will mean censorship, won't it? If it will air for one year I will be very surprised. I don't think it will air longer than one season with Toriyama having passed away (still feels unreal to write, say or think that).
It won't mean censorship because the show is being made with the understanding of Fuji Tv's current broadcast standards and practices just like Super was.
Well that sucks as much as censorship does.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:08 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:34 am Yeah as I thought. The leakers miunderstood Daima for Sandland. Sandland was announced when they thought Daima would and it was never supposed to be an online anime. The source saw Toriyama artstyle and assumed it was DB.

Curious about the lenght. To air on Fuji TV doesn't seem it will be as short as we thought.
Nah, we didn't - I have absolutely zero sources for Kamikaze Douga or Sunrise. Had no idea Sand Land was even a thing. This is a new development. Fuji TV aren't part of the production committee nor on the copyright for Daima. This is a recent acquisition of theirs.

The timeline of information for me was:

2022: Komaki series director + 2023 release date + web series
2023: Yashima + Komaki + 2024 + unknown release format

Everything's tracking as expected.

Can see Kutabo's surprise here too - https://twitter.com/kubo_chika/status/1 ... 9511653719
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:48 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:24 pm

Can anyone explain why Dragon Ball Super was so censored but One Piece is not? They are back to back but One Piece has literal pools of blood falling out of people sometimes. If so, how will this relate to Dragon Ball Daima and will Daima suffer the same censorship as super did?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:21 pm

Majin Man 101 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:48 pm
sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:24 pm

Can anyone explain why Dragon Ball Super was so censored but One Piece is not? They are back to back but One Piece has literal pools of blood falling out of people sometimes. If so, how will this relate to Dragon Ball Daima and will Daima suffer the same censorship as super did?
Once again, it's not censorship if it was created to not have blood in the first place. Nothing was censored because that's how Super was intended.

Anyways, I don't think there was ever an official reason but one explanation I heard was One Piece gets away with it because it's a legacy show that started before Japanese Kids tv got more strict so it gets a Grandfather clause. Dragon Ball Super may be part of a franchise that started in the 1980s but it was still a new show.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 pm

Majin Man 101 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:48 pm Can anyone explain why Dragon Ball Super was so censored but One Piece is not? They are back to back but One Piece has literal pools of blood falling out of people sometimes. If so, how will this relate to Dragon Ball Daima and will Daima suffer the same censorship as super did?
One Piece has seen a reduction in blood compared to its earlier days as standards have changed, but you're right that it's not beholden to the same rules that Super had.

The reason is that Dragon Ball Super was created with international licensing in mind from the get-go (which sounds nuts given how long it took to come over here). It's far easier to sell the show to networks around the world if they don't have to personally do visual edits to the series to make it fit for broadcast.

Daima still has rules for its blood content but it's much more lax than what Super was beholden to.

Happy to elaborate on this in the future!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:42 pm

Ajay wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 pmIt's far easier to sell the show to networks around the world if they don't have to personally do visual edits to the series to make it fit for broadcast.
I wish that TOEI and other companies would outsource to Ocean Studios in Vancouver more for creating TV-safe edits of their shows, Ocean are quite good at it and would probably offer competitive rates. Compare their edit of Kai, as seen on Nicktoons with the more sloppy edit of Super that aired on Pop. There's also the added bonus that if a dub is needed Ocean are a good choice as you've got great and translators actors in Vancouver as well as seasoned directors like Karl Willems.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:39 pm

I think Toei and Fuji TV allow One Piece to have blood because all attempts at marketing it for kids in the west flopped. Super is made with international kids channels in mind. Dragon Ball has a major kid audience in the west,even if its massively succesful with Adults.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:54 pm

This is just speculation, but in light of recent events, I wonder if Daima is the way it is because Toriyama went into it knowing it would likely be the final Dragon Ball thing he worked on. Daima heavily drawing from the Buu arc, the final arc of the manga, based on what we've seen thus far would make a lot of sense if so.

Though it's just as possible that Daima is using the Buu arc as a basis simply because the last big Toriyama written thing drew heavily from the Cell arc and it coinciding with his death was a complete coincidence.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:07 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:54 pm This is just speculation, but in light of recent events, I wonder if Daima is the way it is because Toriyama went into it knowing it would likely be the final Dragon Ball thing he worked on. Daima heavily drawing from the Buu arc, the final arc of the manga, based on what we've seen thus far would make a lot of sense if so.

Though it's just as possible that Daima is using the Buu arc as a basis simply because the last big Toriyama written thing drew heavily from the Cell arc and it coinciding with his death was a complete coincidence.
I have been suspecting this for a while, but wasn't sure if I wanted to post it, but since you have, I'll echo your thoughts. I do kind of wonder whether or not Gokuu becoming 'small' again was Toriyama waxing poetic about mortality. I guess we'll see by the end of the series?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:16 am

Dragon Quest Dai Great Adventure remake has blood.

DBS characters can get stabbed and shot, yet there is no blood at all. I doubt the law is the reason why there is no blood, when other anime has blood.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:18 am

super michael wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:16 am Dragon Quest Dai Great Adventure remake has blood.

DBS characters can get stabbed and shot, yet there is no blood at all. I doubt the law is the reason why there is no blood, when other anime has blood.
Nobody said anything about the law being the reason.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:21 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:18 am
super michael wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:16 am Dragon Quest Dai Great Adventure remake has blood.

Nobody said anything about the law being the reason.
Actually I have seen people mention that Japan law is the reason why DBS doesn't have blood.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:23 am

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:54 pm This is just speculation, but in light of recent events, I wonder if Daima is the way it is because Toriyama went into it knowing it would likely be the final Dragon Ball thing he worked on. Daima heavily drawing from the Buu arc, the final arc of the manga, based on what we've seen thus far would make a lot of sense if so.

Ngl, I've had a similar thought. Come to think of it... after Broly seemed to tie into the Saiyan and Frieza arcs, and Super Hero more-or-less tied into the Red Ribbon Androids arc, I suppose it would only be fair that SOME sort of modern-day major DB content would end up tying into the Majin Buu arc.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:18 pm

TBF: I think the censoring robs some of the fights of their intensity. Like, I’ve always hated how every recreation of the “Full Nelson!” sacrifice censors Piccolo’s attack going through Goku. And I do think it does take away from Goku’s sacrifice a bit.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:44 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:18 pm TBF: I think the censoring robs some of the fights of their intensity.
Agreed. I honestly found it a bit distracting that Goku Black kept impaling people with not a drop of blood in sight. It makes the fighting feel too...sanitized. Too clean.

It also just looks weird. Like, when people get stabbed, they're supposed to bleed out to some degree. That Goku and Vegeta don't when they get stabbed makes them feel less like people and more like living action figures or something.