Do we know the reason why episodes 73-80 were shot on 35mm film?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Do we know the reason why episodes 73-80 were shot on 35mm film?

Post by pixie_misa » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:37 am

See title. I tried doing a bit of searching in here but searching for "dragon ball" and "35mm" mostly just pulls up info about the movies and occasional mentions that this set of episodes exists in various threads about video quality, but nothing about the actual *why* behind it.

I saw one post mentioning that the reasons for why this was done weren't known, but there may have been more info that has come to light since then so I figured it'd be worth asking.

Thanks!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Do we know the reason why episodes 73-80 were shot on 35mm film?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:39 am

I believe it may have been because TOEI had run out of 16mm film at the time and used what they had leftover.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:46 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:39 am I believe it may have been because TOEI had run out of 16mm film at the time and used what they had leftover.
They ran out of 16mm film for 7 weeks? That seems really odd. If that's the case wouldn't other Toei productions at the time have been affected as well? I'd have to do some digging to find out if they had anything else airing concurrently that might also have 35mm episodes.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:01 am

pixie_misa wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:46 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:39 am I believe it may have been because TOEI had run out of 16mm film at the time and used what they had leftover.
They ran out of 16mm film for 7 weeks? That seems really odd. If that's the case wouldn't other Toei productions at the time have been affected as well? I'd have to do some digging to find out if they had anything else airing concurrently that might also have 35mm episodes.
And only episodes were shot on 35mm, In DBOX you can clearly see that ending song and NEP are shot on 16mm, (op can't be taken into consideration cause they barely allways use the same one) it's clearly very strange
i even thinked once that originally everything was shot on 35mm and that Toei made a "copy" on 16mm FILMS and throw them away later like cinetape
Dragon Quest Daï was shot on 35mm even if it was basically a long running show that was stopped for some reason not originaly intended so why Toei would have use 16mm on Dragon Ball and 35mm for Daï?

Today i think that we will just never know the truth, but everything is possible, if it was a 16mm lack then NEP and ending would also have been 35mm . That's why i think that it's something related to storage, maybe my theory could be exact (or not) who know?

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:19 am

If that is the case then I must say that's kind of amusing:
"Oh no, we are out of our usual film stock! We have no choice... We have to use HIGHER QUALITY FILM!!!!"
Well, I reckon the reason they used 16mm to begin with was because it was cheaper, so they might indeed be reluctant to use higher quality film just because it would also cost them more. But it is funny to think of them deciding as a last resort to do something that makes the episodes just objectively better-looking.