Kimitoshi Chioka's role in Dragon Ball Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

taikufuru

Kimitoshi Chioka's role in Dragon Ball Super

Post by taikufuru » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:36 pm

Dragon Ball Super had five directors throughout its production. The first of them, Kimitoshi Chioka, was always a mystery to me.

I say this because, due to the production schedule, his "signature" as director was not present.

The arrival of Ryota Namakura and Tatsuya Nagamine is felt right from the start. The schedule was better, but still...

When did production on "Dragon Ball Super" actually begin? February 2015? What was his role in pre-production? Was there anything notable he did on the show that I didn't notice? Why did he leave so early?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kimitoshi Chioka's role in Dragon Ball Super

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:12 am

I really hope this is not a repeat of the "Kimitoshi Chioka is ruining Dragon Ball Thread"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

taikufuru

Re: Kimitoshi Chioka's role in Dragon Ball Super

Post by taikufuru » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:37 pm

Yes. My intention is to find out more about the series' director during that very complicated period of production. It must have been chaos.

Unfortunately, little is known about the creative process of the series, as well as these more controversial issues, which would hardly be included in a complete official guide.