Should DB copy Yugioh?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Should DB copy Yugioh?

Post by Kappa » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:55 pm

Would you like a new DB series every few years(with a completely different cast)?

I think it would be interesting. Here's an idea:

-A story that takes place after GT. With Uub,Trunks, and a new saiyan girl as the main characters. They have to defend the universe from a new Majin. The other characters are dead or retired. 15-20 episodes.
Last edited by Kappa on Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Should DB copy Yugioh?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:14 pm

Kappa wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:55 pm -A story that takes place after GT. With Uub,Trunks, and a new saiyan girl as the main characters. They have to defend the universe from a new Majin. The other characters are dead or retired. 15-20 episodes.
It's not exactly what you're describing here, but Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission is kind of that: it's post-GT, the main characters are long-since gone, new small group of kid protagonists, defending their world from... stuff...!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:22 pm

I doubt they will make a sequel to GT given that's still look downly from fans. While the characters in GT have their share of fans, but I still feel like GT as a show is still not popular. Why you would go two steps backwards when Super and Daima are still a thing?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:36 pm

I think we should just let Dragon Ball die rather than hoping it becomes the anime equivalent of Air Bud transitioning into Santa Buddies

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:02 pm

Certain users aren't going to take kindly to a suggestion like this... they're two completely different kinds of series barring the merchandising aspects.
(And I agree tbh, Shounen dominance has resulted in more harm than good overall.)

Also, ditto to the reply above. Better to retire it for good, it's got no place left to go.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:30 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:36 pm I think we should just let Dragon Ball die rather than hoping it becomes the anime equivalent of Air Bud transitioning into Santa Buddies
It's funny because I still maintain that that should have been the case prior to 2013/15. Say what you will about GT (it has a lot of flaws, but I love it overall), but it's almost universally agreed, even among GT haters, that it had an absolutely FANTASTIC ending. No matter how many times I watch it, that last shot of Gokū rising into the sky, waving the Nyoi-bō, and getting carried away by Kinto-un, while Yanami Jōji says "This is where the story of Dragon Ball ends", followed by the black screen displaying the words "THE END" in the exact same font from the last page of the manga... that shit ALWAYS hits me HARD.

And personally, I feel like the series should have stayed there. I mean, yeah, we got 237 video games every single motherfucking year starting five years later in 2002, and most of them were mediocre or just plain bad, but even then 99% of them were just retelling the same DB-DBZ-DBGT story over and over again, so it never felt like anything truly new was added to the franchise after 1997. And honestly... I LOVED that. I LOVED that Dragon Ball actually had an ENDING, a GOOD one, and didn't just go on and on and on forever, until it eventually drowned in its own endless repetition and mediocrity. But sadly, starting in 2015, that's exactly what ended up happening.

The modern era of Dragon Ball over the last decade, while it's definitely had its moments here and there, sadly has mostly just been a buncha crap. So much of it lacks so much of what made the original 1984-97 run so damn special and good, and it certainly doesn't help that it completely ignores and disregards GT, negating its AMAZING ending, all to play it safe and cram a bunch of shit into the 10 year time gap from the original manga, despite said gap being originally described as a TIME OF PEACE... but no, OF COURSE it was actually CHOCK FULL of every single crazy thing way-past-his-prime Toriyama could come up with.

So really, I feel like Dragon Ball is kind of doing a similar thing to other little kiddy series like Yu-Gi-Oh!/Duel Masters/Digimon/Beyblade/Super Sentai/Kamen Rider (Gundam does it too, but MSG is usually very much not a little kiddy show like them lol), etc. that shit out a new show just about every goddamn year for little reason more than to keep cashing in on the brand name. Only difference is, at least with those, more often that not a new story is told each time with a totally new cast of characters, often in completely different continuities from one another (which, to be fair, does also come with its own share of problems... like, how the FUCK are you supposed to keep 40+ different teams of 5+ Rangers each straight?? I'd get SOOO lost lol), whereas DB instead just shits out endless content with the same small core group of characters, despite the fact that it's LONG since felt like those characters' stories have run their course.

So if Dragon Ball DID end up going the Yu-Gi-Oh!/Digimon/Super Sentai, etc. route, it would probably be just as poorly-written, poorly produced, and lacking in substance as what they've been doing with the franchise since 2015, just in slightly different ways (but hey... at least then MAYBE there would actually be a tangible way to tell the continuities of the TV anime, manga, and films apart, cuz that sure as HFIL ain't the case with Super now lmao)

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:14 pm
Kappa wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:55 pm -A story that takes place after GT. With Uub,Trunks, and a new saiyan girl as the main characters. They have to defend the universe from a new Majin. The other characters are dead or retired. 15-20 episodes.
It's not exactly what you're describing here, but Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission is kind of that: it's post-GT, the main characters are long-since gone, new small group of kid protagonists, defending their world from... stuff...!
That sounds cool. Where can I read it?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:06 am

Vegetto95 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:30 pm So really, I feel like Dragon Ball is kind of doing a similar thing to other little kiddy series like Yu-Gi-Oh!/Duel Masters/Digimon/Beyblade/Super Sentai/Kamen Rider (Gundam does it too, but MSG is usually very much not a little kiddy show like them lol), etc. that shit out a new show just about every goddamn year for little reason more than to keep cashing in on the brand name. Only difference is, at least with those, more often that not a new story is told each time with a totally new cast of characters, often in completely different continuities from one another (which, to be fair, does also come with its own share of problems... like, how the FUCK are you supposed to keep 40+ different teams of 5+ Rangers each straight?? I'd get SOOO lost lol), whereas DB instead just shits out endless content with the same small core group of characters, despite the fact that it's LONG since felt like those characters' stories have run their course.
Sure, but even those shows where it's a different cast and story every season blend together after a while as each season is a variation on the theme. That's fine as each show will find a new group of fans, but yes, they all do eventually reach a natural end. Everything loses that new car smell after a while and that's okay.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:30 am

Kappa wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:35 pm
That sounds cool. Where can I read it?
Considering it's never been officially translated into English... probably the only places you could would be places that we're not exactly supposed to discuss on here... :?

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:49 am

Or otherwise importing directly from JP, though it may possibly require a proxy of some sort and there's a chance they may not like selling abroad :p

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:04 pm

There's no need to import anything -- Victory Mission was never given a physical release beyond its original V-Jump serialization, but the entire thing is up digitally for free direct from the source:

https://vjump.shueisha.co.jp/push/dbh/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:02 pm

I stand corrected, should have looked into what it is before saying anything. Serves me right for not doing that :/
Well, next option is learning JP... but wait, it's completely free of charge either way.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:33 pm

So if Dragon Ball DID end up going the Yu-Gi-Oh!/Digimon/Super Sentai, etc. route, it would probably be just as poorly-written, poorly produced, and lacking in substance as what they've been doing with the franchise since 2015
Dragon Ball Super was very low quality but I believe the movies have been an exception. I am optimistic in thinking Toriyama will be more involved in Dragon Ball. Yes I am talking about Daima. Toriyama was also involved in Dragon ball GT which is why I believe the whole thing about GT not being canon should be corrected or I believe the term is ¨retcon¨ ... English is not my native languange, my apoligies.

Dragon Ball Daima trailer recognizes GT as it shows it as part of Dragon Ball history

Look at what happened to starwars, how many star wars animated has it been since clone wars? including the lego ones, then the live action seroes, nowadays I think there is even one starwars for toddlers. Something like that could happen to DB. Sort of making this "dragon ball for ... (insert group of society, target market name)" We simply don't know it

Exploring new stories will always be interesting, we have fanfiction, fanarts and even fanmangas for that, but making something someting canon, is very different.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:52 pm

Technically speaking Yu-Gi-Oh GX is a time skip of Yu-Gi-Oh. Yu-Gi-Oh GX has new characters and new main characters and from time to time we see the original characters. In the final episode of Yu-Gi-Oh GX we see Judai Yuk play against Yugi Muto.

As for the other Yu-Gi-Oh anime I have no idea. Didn't watch Yu-Gi-Oh 5D.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:57 pm

I was gonna make a dragon ball version of the yugioh opening for all 5 seasons, each season gets new animation based on what saga

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:49 pm

I wouldn't mind a sequel series like Legend of Korra. Where legacy characters occasionally show up much older. Imagine a 70 year old Master Krillin or Master Tien, an older Dende, or a badass 40-year-old Uub who is the protector of the world.