Show similar to dragon ball.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Show similar to dragon ball.

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:54 pm

There are a lot of shows that are really similar to dragon ball or just have Some similarities from dragon ball like. I know there's sonic x, but there any others shows that copy dragon ball

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Show similar to dragon ball.

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:45 pm

As you say a lot of shows have similarities or borrow elements from Dragon Ball. As for copying? That depends who you ask because everything has influences, but where you draw the line all comes down to personal opinions.

Sonic is a great example because we've seen plenty of cases of homages, Super Sonic, Silver (based on Trunks) and Blue Sphere mini game (inspired by Kaio's world) spring to mind. Of course given Dragon Ball's iconic status within the battle shounen landscape we can see elements referenced in Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail and other such series, even moreso when you get into wuxia and check out Yu Yu Hakusho or Fist of the North Star. One Piece could be thought of as a sort of spiritual successor to Dragon Ball, its another TOEI property, started when GT ended, has the same adventurous spirit and some of the over-the-top battles we all love and Luffy is the lovable, food-obsessed childhearted lead.

I can't think of any shows that are straight knockoffs of Dragon Ball, but at the same time that may not be a bad thing. If there were shows that crossed the line of copying aspects of Dragon Ball would they really be that interesting on their own merits? Probably not.

There was also a Chinese animated adaptation of Journey To The West produced by CCTV and CINAR Corporation, but from what I've seen it looks to be more of a literal adaptation of the novel Dragon Ball is loosely inspired by, so the similarities may not be super clear on the surface but they will still be there subtly.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:10 pm

Check out LEGO Monkie Kid. It's essentially a sort of sequel to Journey to the West done by LEGO. It sounds silly, but the animation and fight scenes are great. Also Sun Wukong is voiced by Sean Schemmel in this one.

Yu Yu Hakusho and Fist of the Northstar probably give off a similar vibe in terms of the raw action in those series.

I would also recommend Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai since the character designs are done by Toriyama and the fight scenes amount to "what if Dragon Ball, but with magic instead of ki?"

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:53 am

Almighty Majin wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:10 pm Check out LEGO Monkie Kid. It's essentially a sort of sequel to Journey to the West done by LEGO. It sounds silly, but the animation and fight scenes are great. Also Sun Wukong is voiced by Sean Schemmel in this one.

Yu Yu Hakusho and Fist of the Northstar probably give off a similar vibe in terms of the raw action in those series.

I would also recommend Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai since the character designs are done by Toriyama and the fight scenes amount to "what if Dragon Ball, but with magic instead of ki?"
I Have seen monkey kid. Actually, it's really good show for lego shows.
I think there's another show called powerstones. That's basically dragon ball but kind of different like there's seven stones and each of them have a different ability, but the yellow stone is just super sayain. Even though opening for the powerstones and blt dragon ball, if you just put the audio over one of the other, it fits.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:15 am

I have never thought that Sonic X is like Dragon Ball. From my very limited experience with anime, I would say that Yu Yu Hakusho feels like Dragon Ball (the afterlife elements, the fighting tournaments).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:34 am

The Sentai series Dairanger is probably the closest we got to a 90s live action Dragon Ball from Toei, just with spandex and giant robots thrown in

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:49 pm

Yu Yu Haksuo and Fist of the North Star are wuxia like Dragon Ball, so those are the biggest recommend for me to Dragon Ball fans. Wu Shan Wu Xing aka Fog Hill of Five Elements is another fun wuxia theme anime too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:01 pm

Akira Toriyama got inspiration from chinese stories, hollywood movies, american comicbooks and westerns.

That wonderful fusion is what made it so appealing in America. It allowed the japanese to know what the american wanted. It opened the market, it created it. So it is natural to think other animes would "copy" that. In reality it is about repeating a formula, one that you know it already works. Disney and Nintendo do it. Toei Animation does it. But in my opininon Dragon Ball has the best characters and the best music.