Why didnt Nicktoons air OG dragon ball and The Final chapters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Why didnt Nicktoons air OG dragon ball and The Final chapters

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:18 pm

:) In 2010 nicktoons aired dragon ball z kai for the first time starting from episode 1-98. After that they aried movies 7,8,12, and 13 with all 3 specials. Then they aried Dragon Ball GT in 2013 with all episode with the lost episode to. After dragon ball GT finish, they just started to not air Dragon ball. but for some reason they didn't air the original show or the final chapters. I wonder why but does anybody know why?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why didnt Nicktoons air OG dragon ball and The Final chapters

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:44 pm

There's never gonna be an official reason for why they didn't air original Dragon Ball but it's probably some combination of 1. Looks way older than GT and Kai 2. A 65 episode cartoon (64 episodes+ one special) is probably more desirable than 153 episodes 3. Nicktoons may not have liked the content. Even with the edited dub toned down from the already toned down uncut dub, some lechery was still pretty present in og Dragon Ball.

As for TFC, it's as simple as Dragon Ball was back with Toonami and didn't need Nicktoons anymore.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:07 pm

It's still a shame they didn't air original Dragon Ball, as its now been nearly 20 years since it aired in the US and it never got re-released after the season sets. Ocean also could have created a better edit of Funimation's dub.

As for The Final Chapters, Nicktoons removed Kai and GT in April 2013 just a week before Sean Schemmel and Kyle Herbert announced they were recording more Kai, so it seems likely they lost the license before the rest of the series was even available.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:32 pm

I remember hoping Final Chapters would air on Kix in the UK after Kai 1.0, but it never happened for some reason.

The TFC dub was complete for years before it finally made its debut on Toonami US in 2017. We know for a fact that an edited version of that dub exists, but Kix had already stopped their Kai reruns by late 2015. Super would eventually air on their sister channel Pop in 2019.

There seems to be this weird thing were US dubs have to air in the US before they're allowed to see the light of day anywhere else.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:49 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:32 pmThere seems to be this weird thing were US dubs have to air in the US before they're allowed to see the light of day anywhere else.
And yet the Bang Zoom dub of Super was a US dub and has never seen the light of day (legally anyway) outside of Asia. I see your point though, because even Funimation's Fusion saga, which briefly aired on CNX here debuted about a week after it premiered in the US, despite there being a several month break between New episodes where it probably could have aired earlier.

It really is a shame Kai The Final Chapters never aired on Kix as it would be interesting to see the edited dub, although Manga UK waited ages to release it on DVD and Blu-Ray so maybe it worked out better for them sales wise being the first way to watch it legally in the UK and Ireland and all.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:06 am

I dont want to even look like I joined the GT SUX train but I think it was GT bombing that made them reluctant to get more Dragon Ball. The Z Movies DID great though. I saw the ratings and they were awesome.

To be honest I dont think it was GT per se but rather THE AWFUL DUB it had. Even for Funimation standards GT's dub was beyond awful.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:19 am

I wonder if it would have helped GT's ratings if Funimation created an edited dub of it with Tokunaga's score? I know a lot of people, even Faulconer fans aren't particularly fond of the Mark Menza's score, so maybe if Nicktoons could have aired it with the original score fans would have been more open to GT.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:23 am

To be fair to GT, Funimation and Mark Menza, we should see the timeline of when these everts took place. It might have just been Adult Swim outbidding Nicktoons.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:12 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:19 am I wonder if it would have helped GT's ratings if Funimation created an edited dub of it with Tokunaga's score? I know a lot of people, even Faulconer fans aren't particularly fond of the Mark Menza's score, so maybe if Nicktoons could have aired it with the original score fans would have been more open to GT.
I think Dragon Ball Z has proven you can score a show to anything and its a guaranteed hit if the show itself strikes a chord with its demo

DBZ with Power Rangers music? Hit

DBZ with 70s kung-fu music? Hit

DBZ with loud electronic-techno fauxcore score? Hit

DBZ with recycled Megaman music? Hit

DBZ with plagiarized Hollywood music? Hit

DBZ with 70s kung fu music placed at random? Hit

If GT underperformed at Nicktoons it would have done just as bad with the Tokunaga score

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:36 pm

I'm actually surprised to hear GT underperformed on Nicktoons. Didn't it historically perform well in the US? I know it did better than OG DB, which also seemed to be the case in the UK as GT got more reruns.

Perhaps people were put off by Nicktoons effectively skipping the Buu saga. Going into GT without seeing Buu must have confused the newer fans who grew up on Kai.

Did Nicktoons air GT from episode 1 or skip to episode 17 like Toonami? I can definitely see those early episodes turning people off, particularly coming off the more serious Cell saga.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:49 am

Nicktoons aired all 64 episodes in order.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:18 pm

I imagine going from Funi Kai to Funi GT would have also been very jarring for kids watching Nicktoons. They're very different dubs because the former is more faithful to the Japanese version whereas the latter works better as a sequel to Funimation's Z dub as both take a more edgy approach.

I'd also argue its a huge downgrade in voice acting as the performances in the Kai dub were drastically better than the GT dub.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:52 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:18 pm I imagine going from Funi Kai to Funi GT would have also been very jarring for kids watching Nicktoons. They're very different dubs because the former is more faithful to the Japanese version whereas the latter works better as a sequel to Funimation's Z dub as both take a more edgy approach.

I'd also argue its a huge downgrade in voice acting as the performances in the Kai dub were drastically better than the GT dub.
I was thinking this exact same thing. I think that despite the major nostalgic audience Z's dub scores have, fans and even kids are not kind to rescores in other shows. Digimon Fusion bombed on Nickelodeon, and EVEN in Nicktoons. Never knew The CW's ratings but they did get a a boost so there's that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:59 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:18 pm I imagine going from Funi Kai to Funi GT would have also been very jarring for kids watching Nicktoons. They're very different dubs because the former is more faithful to the Japanese version whereas the latter works better as a sequel to Funimation's Z dub as both take a more edgy approach.

How many kids kmew or cared that the GT dub scripts weresignificantly less accurate than the Kai dub scripts?

I feel like people way over exaggerate the acting improvement in Kai. Sure it's a noticeable improvement from season 3 and 4 but it really wasn't that big of an improvement from GT and the UUE era. The big improvements were the ones that got replaced and Bulma and Frieza were minor enough characters in GT that I don't see how Vollmer and Young would be that big of a turn off.

I just don't think kids are that critical of voice acting and accuracy to the Japanese version to begin with. I guess GT's dub has a different "feel" from Kai because of Menza's replacement score and Andrew Chandler's super duper serious narration but the edited Z movies with the rock and metal bands licensed music and Johnson and Menza's replacement scores already played on Nicktoons so it's not like the Nicktoons generation would be unprepared.
I was thinking this exact same thing. I think that despite the major nostalgic audience Z's dub scores have, fans and even kids are not kind to rescores in other shows. Digimon Fusion bombed on Nickelodeon, and EVEN in Nicktoons. Never knew The CW's ratings but they did get a a boost so there's that.
The amount of 9 year olds who are aware the anime dub they're watching has the original Japanese music or a replacement soundtrack and that being turn off is probably microscopically small.

"Dragon Ball GT and Digimon Fusion did bad with children because they had a replacement soundtrack" is as baseless of an assumption as "Dragon Ball Z did good with U.S children because of its replacement soundtrack"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:59 pm

How many kids kmew or care that the GT dub scripts are significantly less accurate than the Kai dub scripts?

I feel like people way over exaggerate the acting improvement in Kai. Sure it's a noticeable improvement from season 3 and 4 but it really wasn't that big of an improvement from GT and the UUE era. The big improvements were the ones that got replaced and Bulma and Frieza were minor enough characters in GT that I don't see how Vollmer and Young would be that big of a turn off.

I just don't think kids are that critical of voice acting and accuracy to the Japanese version to begin with. I guess GT's dub has a different "feel" from Kai because of Menza's replacement score and Andrew Chandler's super duper serious narration but the edited Z movies with the rock and metal bands licensed music and Johnson and Menza's replacement scores already played on Nicktoons so it's not like the Nicktoons generation would be unprepared.
The amount of 9 year olds who are aware the anime dub they're watching has the original Japanese music or a replacement soundtrack and that being turn off is probably microscopically small.

"Dragon Ball GT and Digimon Fusion did bad with children because they had a replacement soundtrack" is as baseless of an assumption as "Dragon Ball Z did good with U.S children because of its replacement soundtrack"
It's not JUST the acting, JUST the score, JUST the scripts. Its a mix of ALL THAT. Even without knowing or even caring about accuracy, Funimation's GT feels like an extremely shoddy show. Sure even the Japanese version feels like that but the score, acting, and heart (Which Funimation lacks) make up for it and make it a worthwhile show.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:09 pm

It's not JUST the acting, JUST the score, JUST the scripts. Its a mix of ALL THAT. Even without knowing or even caring about accuracy, Funimation's GT feels like an extremely shoddy show. Sure even the Japanese version feels like that but the score, acting, and heart (Which Funimation lacks) make up for it and make it a worthwhile show.
I'm not arguing that Funimation's GT dub isn't a shoddy product. It is. I just don't think it's nearly as big of a discerning factor with its targer audience as you guys think it is.

Like we can all (for the most part) agree that Funimation's original season 3 dub of Z is an an absolute trainwreck of entertainment and it didn't stop it from being a big hit

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:56 pm

Funimation's early dubs have always been criticised on this forum, but GT's dub in particular seems to get a lot of hate.

While I'm a big Faulconer fan and have come to appreciate Kikuchi, I was always pretty indifferent to Menza. It's just a very bland score outside of a couple of tracks, and I struggle to remember it.

That aside I actually don't hate Funi's GT dub. Now that I can watch it with Tokunaga and the OP/Ending covers I'm fine with it. "Step into the Grand Tour" is no longer a factor.

I know a lot of the script changes and "hope of the universe" stuff was pushed heavily in GT. But I don't agree with people saying the actual performances were worse than Season 3 (I've seen that take on this forum). The inhouse cast had gotten much better by the Buu saga, and that level of acting is pretty much maintained in GT. It's not Kai level but it's competent.

Again I'm surprised GT underperformed on Nicktoons despite doing well on Toonami and having good DVD sales. While the different feel compared to Kai's dub might have played a small part, I'm more inclined to blame the drastic differences of GT itself, as well as the jarring choice to skip the Buu saga entirely.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:34 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:09 pmSure even the Japanese version feels like that but the score, acting, and heart (Which Funimation lacks) make up for it and make it a worthwhile show.
I've been thinking as well, their out of order presentation as well as transparent trend chasing (not to mention their pathetic excuse for an eyecatch set that reeks of early 2000's CGI editing software) would surely make for a fundamentally soulless production.
Now I still haven't seen the show beyond internet clips or snippets of episodes, but I can't imagine anyone seriously recommending such a product in 2023 and beyond for anyone looking to get into it for the first time. I certainly wouldn't.

If people want to evaluate something, let them view it the way it was initially produced, without any hindsight alterations.