Dragon Ball Super Funimation edited dub and bang zoom dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Super Funimation edited dub and bang zoom dub

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:03 pm

So does anybody have any knowledge of the edited dragon ball Super dub. It was first brought up at a convention with the voice of goku saying that he re-recorded some lines. Then The dub first aired on Cartoon Network India and then eventually aired on pop UK.
I found some Comparisons
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7miaK-wZOjY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fCS1Ty7NQk

However, for the bang zoom dub, and it's quality's kind of weird like the episode title cards are left in Japanese. The show is in 4 3 and the voice acting is Trying to copy the fundamental dub, even the voice of goku got tips from Shan shemmell and he still sound flat.
https://archive.org/details/dragon-ball ... dub_202309

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Funimation edited dub and bang zoom dub

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:49 am

LostTimeLord documented all the changes in Funimation's edited Super dub, here they are for your convenience:
I also believe this version of the dub premiered in the UK, but it aired on Cartoon Network in India, South Africa as well as Pop in Pakistan later, I believe.

Bang Zoom Super is edited too, in particular a planet Beerus wipes out is "shattered" rather than "destroyed" as far as I remember. I don't recall the other edits off the top of my head but maybe someone out there took note of them. I'm not surprised the OP, ED and title cards were in Japanese as its quite common in anime dubs, particularly newer ones. Its also in 16:9, not 4:3 as Super is a modern show it was never animated in the latter. Lex Lang is a great actor but he wasn't a right fit for Goku, although he had some good moments where I think Sean Schemmel's advice helped him.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:02 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:49 am LostTimeLord documented all the changes in Funimation's edited Super dub, here they are for your convenience:
Episode 16:
  • The most suggestive part of old Kaioshin watching the beetled is gone, kinda killing the joke.
  • Naked Goku/Krillin and some of Goku's attacks on Beerus are cut from Krillin's memory montage.
  • Krillin's ill-advised punch to the face is toned down.
  • Somehow "screwed" is left in.
Episode 17:
  • A chunk of Satan/Goten play-fighting with Pan is gone.
  • The close up of the robber's gun is gone, but he can still be seen and heard shooting in wide shots.
  • A new anti-epilepsy filter is used that blends frames and lowers the brightness instead of just reducing the frame rate. This on is more sympathetic to the original animation IMO. Example included with episode 18.
Episode 18:
  • Visually uncut, but lotsa toned down toilet humour.
Episode 19:
  • New opening with this episode, using the end shot from uncut episode 25's opening.
  • The fireworks lines is changed, I guess to remove the reference to doing this multiple times?
  • Most of the resurrection references are made less direct.
  • Kai footage of Trunks killing Freeza is toned down.
  • Freeza spitting out the healing green liquid is cut.
Episode 20:
  • Freeza directly mentions being "tortured" in "Earth's hell", but describing hell as "a hell" is changed. Makes perfect sense.
  • Many, many death references to change.
  • Freeza shooting Tagoma is reduced to a single shot; he doesn't react much but falls to the ground off-screen.
  • The Japanese "Four months later" caption is gone, but the subtitle translating it is still there. This is the first time subtitles have been used for the TV version.
  • Apparently "guns" as a metaphor for muscles isn't appropriate.
  • Freeza's birth/womb metaphor is cut.
Episode 21:
  • Lots of "defeat" and "attack" as euphemisms for death. Even a reference to "the next world" is changed.
  • Lots of small cuts to Tagoma's attack on Gohan to remove all clear shots of the hole in his and Shisami's chests.
Episode 22:
  • The recap used substituted and slowed-down shots to cover censored footage.
  • Piccolo's vs Tagoma is very toned down. The punch to Tagoma's face and Piccolo's arm being ripped off and re-grown are both gone.
  • The long shot of Tagoma being headbutted in the crotch by Gotenks is shortened.
  • Slight cuts to the Kai flashback of Trunks killing Freeza. The dialogue Reference to him being cut in half is changed, but it's still clear that's what happens in the flashback.
  • Tagoma punching Tenshinhan and him yelling in pain is gone, but the swifter attacks on the others are intact.
  • Two scenes of Gohan being "shot" by Freeza have the ki hitting him substituted with a cutaway to Freeza's finger "shooting".
  • Freeza's torture of Gohan is very toned down. He no longer shoots each limb one-by-one.
  • The close-up of the burning hole in Piccolo is gone.
Episode 23:
  • Freeza is added to the opening in place of Goku flashing SSB. Again, this doesn't coincide with a change in the original episode: https://streamable.com/cih0d
  • The whole recap is cut.
  • The shot of Bulma/Goten/Trunks is held to cover the pstart of the pan over Piccolo's body.
  • One reference to Piccollo being dead is left in, but the others are changed. A reverse "my truck", I assume.
  • A Kia flashback showing blood on Freeza's face is gone.
  • A non-verbal noise from Vegeta is replaced with "too slow". :wtf:
  • Bulma throttling Jaco is cut, though he can still be seen in a headlock.
  • Piccolo "having his body back" is not "being at 100%". Goku asks to move "Piccolo", not "Piccolo's body".
  • "--" is added to the first half of the title on the NEP. :crazy:
Episode 24:
  • Those "- -"s are back.
  • The word "and" is removed from one of Freeza's sentences. Hmmm.
  • A few frames are cut when Freeza kicks Goku's head.
  • The extended headbutt is gone. I guess Goku intended to fly past Freeza now.
  • No next episode preview.
Episode 25:
  • Again, fighting is toned down if characters react to pain.
  • "Blood and sweat" becomes "work and sweat"
  • References to potential disintegration are gone.
  • NEP: Again, Bulma throttling Jaco is removed.
Episode 27:
Bonus round! Daman Mills as Freeza: https://streamable.com/4u7t0
  • Chris Ayers and Daman Mills are both credited in 26/27, but I could only hear alternate lines in 26.
  • The regular cuts to violence: removing reactions to pain, close ups and extended one-sided fighting.
  • Freeza's silent order to Sorbet is voiced in the edited version. It's silent in the Japanese and English home video versions, but this alternate line was on the Toonami broadcast (thanks MarioSonicU).
  • Goku's laser to the chest is trimmed down a lot, but we see a brief glimpse of what hit him. The recap version shows only his reaction.
  • The deflected laser going through Sorbet's chest is gone, as is his dying "...help me".
  • "Hell" is "other world".
  • It sure sounds like Goku says "just a little bitch" instead of "bit" in the uncut one. Pop seems to agree with me.
  • The ending theme, Usubeni, is in Japanese. All the endings have been since episode 14.
  • 27's NEP is cut.
Episode 28-30:
  • Visually uncut. You'd think that would give me less to talk about.
  • 28/29's openings swap Freeza with Universe 6, introducing opening animation early again. The music gets louder at the very end for no reason and a brief moment from 28 is accidentally played at the start of 29: https://streamable.com/v96v3
  • 30's opening switched to Japanese, adds Jaco/Monaka early, moves the Universe 6 animation forward and reinstates SSB in the correct place; the U6 part is interlaced for some reason: https://streamable.com/e3itx
  • Again, Ayers Mills are credited as Freeza in 28, but I couldn't hear any non-censorship alternate lines.
  • Some of the fat jokes at Champa's expense are downplayed.
  • U6's Earth was "abandoned," not "wiped out". The differently-worded reference in e30 is unchanged.
  • Technically, by changing "hell yeah" to "all right", they've made to dub more accurate to their own subtitles.
  • Beerus' thinks about making the universe "disappear" instead of 'wiping it out'.
  • Goku talking about Boo vs Beerus is re-worded slightly and I don't understand why. Also, "back in our world" is used as a euphemism for "reincarnation".
  • Because "Hercule" is shorter than "Me Satan", Boo gets to add "best friend". What a wholesome bit of censorship.

Episode 31:
  • Bulma pseudo-flirting with Jaco, his comment about her age and the resulting punch are cut.
  • Vegeta's warning about "funny business" becomes "flirting".
  • The fight between Jaco and the frog bloke is toned down.
  • The running gag about Bulma's chest is now about her gaining weight. The size Zuno claims is the same in both versions.
  • Zuno's dialogue is cut to remove the obvious sexuality of the "tributes", so the jokes about attractiveness getting more questions are gone and Jaco's one question compared to Bulma's three is unexplained. You can see the background jump forward when a cut is made to the middle of the "would the older earth female" line; as this line doesn't sync up with the uncut one, Pop have presumably cut the middle out of a substituted "waist size" line.
Episode 34/35:
  • Mr Popo's brief appearance is cut
  • The toilet humour is changed to Krillin doing is hair and Boo needing a shower. "Bathroom related complications" is used later, which still makes sense but also doesn't seem to take the previous changes into account.
  • Monaka means "torso", not "nipples". Come on guys, everybody has nipples.
  • Monaka whimpering after Goku punches him in the face is gone.
  • Even terms like "knock you out", "taken that blast", "venom" (Frost's attack), "weapons" and "poisoned" are substituted.
  • Some minor trims to the fights.
  • A shot of Piccollo charging his attack is inserted into Beerus and Champa talking about adding a barrier.
  • Hit is an "enforcer" rather than an "assassin".
  • "That's insane" becomes "that's intense".
  • Episode 31 onward have used the pre-2016 Toei animation logo, so they've gone backwards for some reason.
Episode 36:
Same old. Death references, swearing/rudeness and Bulma's throttling.

Episode 37-39:
  • Forever Dreaming is the Funi version, except for Episode 38/40 where it's kept Japanese.
  • 38's name is changed to accommodate Hit being "enforcer".
  • The more brutal attacks are toned down, again mostly close ups and prolonged attacks.
  • Vegeta coughing up blood and Goku leaving a mark Hit's cheek are cut, but blood smears can be seen in other shots.
  • Some re-wording to follow "excessive force" over "killing".
  • Vegeta's threat to Cabba is toned down and Whis' description of Hit's job is made less direct. Using "bounties" over targets implies that he only goes after criminals.
  • Goku's description of the Kaio Ken is changed for some reason. I assume this wasn't an intentional change.
  • A pre-recorded continuity announcer talked over the end of Goku vs Hit, coming in before the Narrator's last line.
Episode 67:
  • Some jarring cuts for swearing.
  • The eycatcher is cut and the ad break is moved (with an added fade to black).
Episode 68:
  • Apparently Kaio being "stuck for like this for all eternity" isn't appropriate.
  • The flashback and references to to Oolong's first wish are cut, as is Roshi chocking him. Roshi's wish is also gone, so he just vanishes with no explication.
  • Bulma paying 18 to get rid of Oolong no longer makes any sense because the dialogue where she actually asks 18 is cut.
  • Calling Goku a moron isn't allowed.
Episode 69:
  • Everything to do with poop is cut. This means that the food being too good for a God's stomach is the only explanation for Berus' tummy problems.
  • References to the "girly magazine" are cut but the magazine itself is unaltered. They've managed to cut words from the middle of sentences.
  • Some of that Arale on Vegeta action is too hardcore. Even the dialogue references to it.
Episode 70:
  • Yancha's making a backwards V sign as an 'attack' is cut.
  • Yamcha's slapstick pain is toned down.
  • Berrus v Champa charging at each other with nosebleeds is cut.
  • The comments on Yamcha's pose "ringing a bell" are gone, for whatever reason.
Episode 89:
  • Not allowed: "freaking", "stupid". Allowed: "spunky", "hell".
  • Roshi looking for evil in Yrin's arse is cut, as are later references to him being a pervert. Even on Pop, the scene ends with Yurin's outer layer coming off, her covering herself screaming and Roshi getting excited about it.
  • Although his description is gone, it's still pretty clear that he's looking up Yurin's skirt.
  • Roshi looking at Yurin's breasts when they meet, as well as Puar upskirting her, are left unaltered. I'm kind of amazed that so much of this stuff got left in.
[/spoiler]

I also believe this version of the dub premiered in the UK, but it aired on Cartoon Network in India, South Africa as well as Pop in Pakistan later, I believe.

Bang Zoom Super is edited too, in particular a planet Beerus wipes out is "shattered" rather than "destroyed" as far as I remember. I don't recall the other edits off the top of my head but maybe someone out there took note of them. I'm not surprised the OP, ED and title cards were in Japanese as its quite common in anime dubs, particularly newer ones. Its also in 16:9, not 4:3 as Super is a modern show it was never animated in the latter. Lex Lang is a great actor but he wasn't a right fit for Goku, although he had some good moments where I think Sean Schemmel's advice helped him.
[/quote]
Wow impressive how did you know that?

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:02 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:49 am LostTimeLord documented all the changes in Funimation's edited Super dub, here they are for your convenience:
Episode 16:
  • The most suggestive part of old Kaioshin watching the beetled is gone, kinda killing the joke.
  • Naked Goku/Krillin and some of Goku's attacks on Beerus are cut from Krillin's memory montage.
  • Krillin's ill-advised punch to the face is toned down.
  • Somehow "screwed" is left in.
Episode 17:
  • A chunk of Satan/Goten play-fighting with Pan is gone.
  • The close up of the robber's gun is gone, but he can still be seen and heard shooting in wide shots.
  • A new anti-epilepsy filter is used that blends frames and lowers the brightness instead of just reducing the frame rate. This on is more sympathetic to the original animation IMO. Example included with episode 18.
Episode 18:
  • Visually uncut, but lotsa toned down toilet humour.
Episode 19:
  • New opening with this episode, using the end shot from uncut episode 25's opening.
  • The fireworks lines is changed, I guess to remove the reference to doing this multiple times?
  • Most of the resurrection references are made less direct.
  • Kai footage of Trunks killing Freeza is toned down.
  • Freeza spitting out the healing green liquid is cut.
Episode 20:
  • Freeza directly mentions being "tortured" in "Earth's hell", but describing hell as "a hell" is changed. Makes perfect sense.
  • Many, many death references to change.
  • Freeza shooting Tagoma is reduced to a single shot; he doesn't react much but falls to the ground off-screen.
  • The Japanese "Four months later" caption is gone, but the subtitle translating it is still there. This is the first time subtitles have been used for the TV version.
  • Apparently "guns" as a metaphor for muscles isn't appropriate.
  • Freeza's birth/womb metaphor is cut.
Episode 21:
  • Lots of "defeat" and "attack" as euphemisms for death. Even a reference to "the next world" is changed.
  • Lots of small cuts to Tagoma's attack on Gohan to remove all clear shots of the hole in his and Shisami's chests.
Episode 22:
  • The recap used substituted and slowed-down shots to cover censored footage.
  • Piccolo's vs Tagoma is very toned down. The punch to Tagoma's face and Piccolo's arm being ripped off and re-grown are both gone.
  • The long shot of Tagoma being headbutted in the crotch by Gotenks is shortened.
  • Slight cuts to the Kai flashback of Trunks killing Freeza. The dialogue Reference to him being cut in half is changed, but it's still clear that's what happens in the flashback.
  • Tagoma punching Tenshinhan and him yelling in pain is gone, but the swifter attacks on the others are intact.
  • Two scenes of Gohan being "shot" by Freeza have the ki hitting him substituted with a cutaway to Freeza's finger "shooting".
  • Freeza's torture of Gohan is very toned down. He no longer shoots each limb one-by-one.
  • The close-up of the burning hole in Piccolo is gone.
Episode 23:
  • Freeza is added to the opening in place of Goku flashing SSB. Again, this doesn't coincide with a change in the original episode: https://streamable.com/cih0d
  • The whole recap is cut.
  • The shot of Bulma/Goten/Trunks is held to cover the pstart of the pan over Piccolo's body.
  • One reference to Piccollo being dead is left in, but the others are changed. A reverse "my truck", I assume.
  • A Kia flashback showing blood on Freeza's face is gone.
  • A non-verbal noise from Vegeta is replaced with "too slow". :wtf:
  • Bulma throttling Jaco is cut, though he can still be seen in a headlock.
  • Piccolo "having his body back" is not "being at 100%". Goku asks to move "Piccolo", not "Piccolo's body".
  • "--" is added to the first half of the title on the NEP. :crazy:
Episode 24:
  • Those "- -"s are back.
  • The word "and" is removed from one of Freeza's sentences. Hmmm.
  • A few frames are cut when Freeza kicks Goku's head.
  • The extended headbutt is gone. I guess Goku intended to fly past Freeza now.
  • No next episode preview.
Episode 25:
  • Again, fighting is toned down if characters react to pain.
  • "Blood and sweat" becomes "work and sweat"
  • References to potential disintegration are gone.
  • NEP: Again, Bulma throttling Jaco is removed.
Episode 27:
Bonus round! Daman Mills as Freeza: https://streamable.com/4u7t0
  • Chris Ayers and Daman Mills are both credited in 26/27, but I could only hear alternate lines in 26.
  • The regular cuts to violence: removing reactions to pain, close ups and extended one-sided fighting.
  • Freeza's silent order to Sorbet is voiced in the edited version. It's silent in the Japanese and English home video versions, but this alternate line was on the Toonami broadcast (thanks MarioSonicU).
  • Goku's laser to the chest is trimmed down a lot, but we see a brief glimpse of what hit him. The recap version shows only his reaction.
  • The deflected laser going through Sorbet's chest is gone, as is his dying "...help me".
  • "Hell" is "other world".
  • It sure sounds like Goku says "just a little bitch" instead of "bit" in the uncut one. Pop seems to agree with me.
  • The ending theme, Usubeni, is in Japanese. All the endings have been since episode 14.
  • 27's NEP is cut.
Episode 28-30:
  • Visually uncut. You'd think that would give me less to talk about.
  • 28/29's openings swap Freeza with Universe 6, introducing opening animation early again. The music gets louder at the very end for no reason and a brief moment from 28 is accidentally played at the start of 29: https://streamable.com/v96v3
  • 30's opening switched to Japanese, adds Jaco/Monaka early, moves the Universe 6 animation forward and reinstates SSB in the correct place; the U6 part is interlaced for some reason: https://streamable.com/e3itx
  • Again, Ayers Mills are credited as Freeza in 28, but I couldn't hear any non-censorship alternate lines.
  • Some of the fat jokes at Champa's expense are downplayed.
  • U6's Earth was "abandoned," not "wiped out". The differently-worded reference in e30 is unchanged.
  • Technically, by changing "hell yeah" to "all right", they've made to dub more accurate to their own subtitles.
  • Beerus' thinks about making the universe "disappear" instead of 'wiping it out'.
  • Goku talking about Boo vs Beerus is re-worded slightly and I don't understand why. Also, "back in our world" is used as a euphemism for "reincarnation".
  • Because "Hercule" is shorter than "Me Satan", Boo gets to add "best friend". What a wholesome bit of censorship.

Episode 31:
  • Bulma pseudo-flirting with Jaco, his comment about her age and the resulting punch are cut.
  • Vegeta's warning about "funny business" becomes "flirting".
  • The fight between Jaco and the frog bloke is toned down.
  • The running gag about Bulma's chest is now about her gaining weight. The size Zuno claims is the same in both versions.
  • Zuno's dialogue is cut to remove the obvious sexuality of the "tributes", so the jokes about attractiveness getting more questions are gone and Jaco's one question compared to Bulma's three is unexplained. You can see the background jump forward when a cut is made to the middle of the "would the older earth female" line; as this line doesn't sync up with the uncut one, Pop have presumably cut the middle out of a substituted "waist size" line.
Episode 34/35:
  • Mr Popo's brief appearance is cut
  • The toilet humour is changed to Krillin doing is hair and Boo needing a shower. "Bathroom related complications" is used later, which still makes sense but also doesn't seem to take the previous changes into account.
  • Monaka means "torso", not "nipples". Come on guys, everybody has nipples.
  • Monaka whimpering after Goku punches him in the face is gone.
  • Even terms like "knock you out", "taken that blast", "venom" (Frost's attack), "weapons" and "poisoned" are substituted.
  • Some minor trims to the fights.
  • A shot of Piccollo charging his attack is inserted into Beerus and Champa talking about adding a barrier.
  • Hit is an "enforcer" rather than an "assassin".
  • "That's insane" becomes "that's intense".
  • Episode 31 onward have used the pre-2016 Toei animation logo, so they've gone backwards for some reason.
Episode 36:
Same old. Death references, swearing/rudeness and Bulma's throttling.

Episode 37-39:
  • Forever Dreaming is the Funi version, except for Episode 38/40 where it's kept Japanese.
  • 38's name is changed to accommodate Hit being "enforcer".
  • The more brutal attacks are toned down, again mostly close ups and prolonged attacks.
  • Vegeta coughing up blood and Goku leaving a mark Hit's cheek are cut, but blood smears can be seen in other shots.
  • Some re-wording to follow "excessive force" over "killing".
  • Vegeta's threat to Cabba is toned down and Whis' description of Hit's job is made less direct. Using "bounties" over targets implies that he only goes after criminals.
  • Goku's description of the Kaio Ken is changed for some reason. I assume this wasn't an intentional change.
  • A pre-recorded continuity announcer talked over the end of Goku vs Hit, coming in before the Narrator's last line.
Episode 67:
  • Some jarring cuts for swearing.
  • The eycatcher is cut and the ad break is moved (with an added fade to black).
Episode 68:
  • Apparently Kaio being "stuck for like this for all eternity" isn't appropriate.
  • The flashback and references to to Oolong's first wish are cut, as is Roshi chocking him. Roshi's wish is also gone, so he just vanishes with no explication.
  • Bulma paying 18 to get rid of Oolong no longer makes any sense because the dialogue where she actually asks 18 is cut.
  • Calling Goku a moron isn't allowed.
Episode 69:
  • Everything to do with poop is cut. This means that the food being too good for a God's stomach is the only explanation for Berus' tummy problems.
  • References to the "girly magazine" are cut but the magazine itself is unaltered. They've managed to cut words from the middle of sentences.
  • Some of that Arale on Vegeta action is too hardcore. Even the dialogue references to it.
Episode 70:
  • Yancha's making a backwards V sign as an 'attack' is cut.
  • Yamcha's slapstick pain is toned down.
  • Berrus v Champa charging at each other with nosebleeds is cut.
  • The comments on Yamcha's pose "ringing a bell" are gone, for whatever reason.
Episode 89:
  • Not allowed: "freaking", "stupid". Allowed: "spunky", "hell".
  • Roshi looking for evil in Yrin's arse is cut, as are later references to him being a pervert. Even on Pop, the scene ends with Yurin's outer layer coming off, her covering herself screaming and Roshi getting excited about it.
  • Although his description is gone, it's still pretty clear that he's looking up Yurin's skirt.
  • Roshi looking at Yurin's breasts when they meet, as well as Puar upskirting her, are left unaltered. I'm kind of amazed that so much of this stuff got left in.
[/spoiler]

[/quote]
Wow impressive how did you know that?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:36 am

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:02 am Wow impressive how did you know that?
I didn't know all of this, as I didn't watch Super on Pop after the first episode. All the credit goes to LostTimeLord for watching the episodes as they aired with excruciating attention to detail.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: