When will Nozawa and Horikawa be replaced?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Someoneimportant

Re: When will Nozawa and Horikawa be replaced?

Post by Someoneimportant » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:06 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:35 am
Someoneimportant wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:12 pm I finally think I know why stuff like Dragon Ball Super SUCKS so bad on a fundamental level. On paper, it's not that bad. There are some ok things about it but you sort of after a while start thinking about things while watching it like... Why is the sequel to DBZ so much worse in every conceivable way imaginable? A pretty good question to be asking I must say, because you can easily tell something is off, if you have ears, eyes, and a brain to tell you that what you are watching is bad despite YEARS of downtime between the two.
This line of thinking makes it seem like Z didn't have a horribly rushed production with obvious animation quality drops between studios as early as the Saiyan arc. Or the poor quality of storytelling seen in the filler content like the Garlic Jr. Arc. And, I don't even think that Super is great by any means.
At no point did I even imply that DB or DBZ were perfect. Nope. Just that Super is an embarrassing product by comparison. And if they were going to do a revival after so long they should have done it right.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:33 pm

Horikawa isn't too bad, though his voice has undeniably become "scratchier" over the years. Like most of the cast, he used to have much more range in his performance; it could be surprisingly soft and elegant, yet still cocky and imperious. Now, he just pants and groans out any emotional material.

As for Nozawa, all due respect to an amazing, venerable artist, but I personally believe it would be best for her to retire gracefully. I know she's committed to the role for life but the quality just isn't there anymore. Some of her most recent performances have sounded incredibly strained and off-key, especially for kid Goku/Gohan/Goten, and she can no longer do the old Super Saiyan screams. I doubt it will happen but I really hope, at the very least, the de-aged Goku is played by someone else in Daima.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:50 pm

They will run them into the ground until they really can't do it anymore.

I really like the idea of using the de-aging spell in Daima to replace the old voice actors and then keep the new ones when the cast returns to being adults.

It's a smart move that would help the transition and make the fanbase accept it better. Unfortunately it won't happen.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:25 pm

I wish this thread were titled something gentler like "How could Toei smooth over a replacement for the older actors without being disrespectful?" That sounds way better in my perspective.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:42 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:50 pm They will run them into the ground until they really can't do it anymore.

I really like the idea of using the de-aging spell in Daima to replace the old voice actors and then keep the new ones when the cast returns to being adults.

It's a smart move that would help the transition and make the fanbase accept it better. Unfortunately it won't happen.
That's unfortunately probably the truth. I remember the original DB narrator doing the narration (and I believe Kaio as well) during the early parts of Super. The man obviously sounded in bad health and it was painful to hear. He died soon after.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:59 am

Not that soon, it was over six years.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:08 am

Jord wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:42 am That's unfortunately probably the truth. I remember the original DB narrator doing the narration (and I believe Kaio as well) during the early parts of Super. The man obviously sounded in bad health and it was painful to hear. He died soon after.
Joji Yanami died in 2021, six years after he was replaced by Naoki Tatsuta (which I believe was meant to be temporary but obviously Yanami's illness became too severe for him to continue) but I agree it must have been hell for him to carry on with his health as it was. If Masako Nozawa was in a similar scenario I'd imagine Dragon Ball would be cancelled abruptly as she's played the Son family for so long, and I don't think any Japanese executives want to see that happen. For this reason I suspect Daima will be a limited series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:19 am

Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:59 am Not that soon, it was over six years.
Then I was wrong. He sounded extremely sick.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:59 am

Jord wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:19 am
Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:59 am Not that soon, it was over six years.
Then I was wrong. He sounded extremely sick.
Yeah, he definitely sounded disturbingly weak by the time of Super. I'm not that good at judging Japanese acting sometimes but it was immediately evident even to me.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.