Dragon ball in australia

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Dragon ball in australia

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:46 pm

Does anybody have information about Australia did do dragon ball. What Channel did it air on, what time and how edited it was

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon ball in australia

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:05 pm

From talking to Aussie fans I believe it was similar to the American broadcast, they used the same Funimation dubs with the same edits.

Dragon Ball Z premiered on Cheez TV on January 31, 2000, aired during the 3pm timeslot with reruns the next morning at 8am. I think Dragon Ball GT also aired on the same block, but original Dragon Ball wasn't. Z concluded in 2003 or 2004, probably 2003 as that was the year it concluded in both the US and the UK.

I also heard Z was run on the Australian version of Toonami in 2000 or 2001, original Dragon Ball and GT aired on Toonami too around late 2004. Original Dragon Ball could also be seen on regular Cartoon Network as part of the Foxtel Cable TV package in 2002, Z and GT were also shown later.

Cartoon Network reran Z in 2008 with the original 276-episode Funimation dub on weekdays at 1.30pm. Toasted TV reran the first two seasons of Z in 2010. I believe both of these broadcasts were the last time Funimation's original 53 episodes of Z with the Ocean cast were seen on live TV.

Kai was meant to begin airing on Cartoon Network on May 2011 but this was delayed, possibly because of the Yamamoto scandal and them needing an edited cut with Kikuchi's score. Dragon Ball Z was also being rerun weeknights at 8.40pm so equally Cartoon Network may have not been in a hurry to replace it. Suffice to say Kai premiered on Australian Cartoon Network in November of that year.

I'm an Irish fan, so I may be wrong on a few things as I'm not as familiar with these airings as my own country, but this is what I recall off the top of my head from Australian fans.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:14 pm

Yup Z and GT ran on Cheez tv on channel ten until 2003 ish.

As far as I know DB never got a free to air run over here.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:44 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:05 pm From talking to Aussie fans I believe it was similar to the American broadcast, they used the same Funimation dubs with the same edits.
I believe I remember KBABZ (who is from Australia) saying that the Australian tv broadcast did include Mystical Adventure and the abbreviated 20 second version of I'll Give You Romance. The Toonami U.S broadcast always removed Mystical Adventure in favor of their own custom opening (clips from the show on the Toonami viewing screen like they did with all their shows) and also used the truncated version of I'll Give You Romance

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:44 am I believe I remember KBABZ (who is from Australia)
I saw a post from the individual that said New Zealand actually.
Last edited by GhostEmperorX on Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:06 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:51 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:44 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:05 pm From talking to Aussie fans I believe it was similar to the American broadcast, they used the same Funimation dubs with the same edits.
I believe I remember KBABZ (who is from Australia)
I saw a post from the individual that said New Zealand actually.
My mistake, don't know why I thought he was from Australia

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:19 pm

The New Zealand airings on TV3 also differed from the Australian airings. They got the Dale Kelly eyecatches that were seen nowhere else, and apparently the scene where Vegeta kills Guldo was completely cut.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:23 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:19 pm The New Zealand airings on TV3 also differed from the Australian airings. They got the Dale Kelly eyecatches that were seen nowhere else, and apparently the scene where Vegeta kills Guldo was completely cut.
There was many more cut out throughout the whole series on the TV3 airing, made it hard for the NEPs/recaps as well that were missing where something was cut in those also. Another I can remember that was cut out from the Saiyan arc was Goku's punch to Nappa. It just cut to Nappa's closeup after Goku warped to his stomach. I don't have as many episodes for the Saiyan arc, got those from a friend years before the Trademe lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3XWAFGYMuo

Though this was just for TV3, the Cartoon Network airing we had here was the same as the Australian one:

King Bogo

Post by King Bogo » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:07 am

does anybody know if the VHS tapes were uncut or edited.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:07 pm

King Bogo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:07 am does anybody know if the VHS tapes were uncut or edited.
The Madman release? They're all edited (the episodes at least, don't remember for the films), except for the last couple of Cell Games volumes. The US release is the same there pretty much where only the first 5 had an edited variant, except Madman released two more Cell Games volumes edited while the last two were uncut (though nothing mentioned on the packaging about it). I don't think this was known till my friend and I were slowly completing our collection for it.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:04 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:14 pm Yup Z and GT ran on Cheez tv on channel ten until 2003 ish.

As far as I know DB never got a free to air run over here.
Me and my brother grew up watching the show here in the 2000s and I never recall seeing GT on Cheez TV. The way I originally saw GT was in late 2003-2004 through the DVD singles of the Funimation dub. According to Wikipedia, it only aired on Cheez TV for a few months in early-mid 2004, which might explain why I somehow missed it (even though I have memories of watching the Kid Buu episodes on Cheez TV around the same time). I definitely remember Funimation's dub of GT being on the Australian Toonami in 2004-2005-ish, along with their dub of the original DB. I could only access Toonami at a relative's house since I just had free to air television at my home, so Toonami wasn't the main way I viewed the series as a kid.

I had previously collected the VHS singles of Funimation's DBZ dub, and GT only seemed to be available on DVD. I also remember DBZ being available at mainstream stores which were like the Australian equivalent of Walmart or Bestbuy, whereas GT was only available at a more niche store that specialized in things like anime and action figures. This probably has something to do with GT being less popular than DBZ.

I only saw a few episodes of the Ocean/Saban dub on Cheez TV as a kid and never owned any of those VHS singles, so I thought it was the same as the Funimation-voiced dub back then. I remember getting one of the Ultimate Uncut DVDs in 2007 at a video game store and didn't even realize it was a redub of the Saiyan Saga episodes that aired on Cheez TV.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:57 pm

Dragon Ball Z premiered on Cheez TV on January 31, 2000, aired during the 3pm timeslot with reruns the next morning at 8am. I think Dragon Ball GT also aired on the same block, but original Dragon Ball wasn't. Z concluded in 2003 or 2004, probably 2003 as that was the year it concluded in both the US and the UK.
As far as I'm aware, on Cheez TV it only ever aired in the morning on weekdays, just before children were getting ready to go to school. Cheez TV was a morning block, which means if it was airing at 3pm then it wasn't airing as part of the Cheez TV block. On Cheez TV it aired alongside shows produced by 4kids like Pokemon, Yugioh and the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. When it first started airing in 2000 there were also a lot of shows from Saban/Fox Kids USA like Digimon. I'm too young to remember watching the show when it debuted on Cheez TV in 2000 since I was 3 years old but I had VHS recordings of the initial 2000 airings since my brother was a few years older than me.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub