Beerus sparing the earth in BoG makes no sense now

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Beerus sparing the earth in BoG makes no sense now

Post by shadd21 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:55 am

Correct me if i 'm wrong, but wasn't the reason Beerus spared the earth at the end of the BoG arc was because Goku gave him a good fight, yet if the narrative of recent arcs are to be believed, Beerus defeated God!Goku using only 000000000.000000000000001% of his power. How was this a "good fight"?

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Beerus sparing the earth in BoG makes no sense now

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:13 am

shadd21 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:55 am Correct me if i 'm wrong, but wasn't the reason Beerus spared the earth at the end of the BoG arc was because Goku gave him a good fight, yet if the narrative of recent arcs are to be believed, Beerus defeated God!Goku using only 000000000.000000000000001% of his power. How was this a "good fight"?
Because it has been a long time since someone made him use 000000000.000000000000001% of his power.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:36 am

Why try to find an In-universe answer? It is pointless.

Super is just a poorly-planned OVERALL storyline. The individual arcs are well-planned, but the OVERALL storyline doesn't link together that well, which was also a problem in DBZ by the way. I mean, in DBZ you had the whole "Super Saiyan bargain sale" with Goten and Trunks going Super Saiyan so that they could go to the theme park, which just completely invalidates the Frieza arc in terms of importance.

The problem with the way Super arcs connect is that the writers can never make up their mind on how strong they want Beerus to be and when the endgame "rematch" is supposed to happen.

A scene like this is totally comical now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzamgDoRmqE

It is totally comical, because Beerus is scared of someone who is supposed to be 0.0001% of his real power and of SSB Kaioken, which should be rather fodder now.

Super is just poorly-planned overall because Toriyama/Toei/Toyotaro just can't figure out when Goku is supposed to have reached or be getting close to Beerus.

Beerus sparing the Earth in BoG made sense because Goku originally was supposed to already be getting close to him, which is why it was later said that SSB Goku and Vegeta together could give Beerus a good fight, and that Beerus was sweating from watching SSB Kaioken.

But with Beerus remaining a moving goalpost for a decade, those moments have completely lost their meaning.

DBS is really suffering from power-creep problems, like DBZ was.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:36 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:36 am Why try to find an In-universe answer? It is pointless.

Super is just a poorly-planned OVERALL storyline. The individual arcs are well-planned, but the OVERALL storyline doesn't link together that well, which was also a problem in DBZ by the way. I mean, in DBZ you had the whole "Super Saiyan bargain sale" with Goten and Trunks going Super Saiyan so that they could go to the theme park, which just completely invalidates the Frieza arc in terms of importance.

The problem with the way Super arcs connect is that the writers can never make up their mind on how strong they want Beerus to be and when the endgame "rematch" is supposed to happen.

A scene like this is totally comical now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzamgDoRmqE

It is totally comical, because Beerus is scared of someone who is supposed to be 0.0001% of his real power and of SSB Kaioken, which should be rather fodder now.

Super is just poorly-planned overall because Toriyama/Toei/Toyotaro just can't figure out when Goku is supposed to have reached or be getting close to Beerus.

Beerus sparing the Earth in BoG made sense because Goku originally was supposed to already be getting close to him, which is why it was later said that SSB Goku and Vegeta together could give Beerus a good fight, and that Beerus was sweating from watching SSB Kaioken.

But with Beerus remaining a moving goalpost for a decade, those moments have completely lost their meaning.

DBS is really suffering from power-creep problems, like DBZ was.
That... is absolutely true. I don't really mind the kaioken still falling short of the goal, since thinking power levels as a number game always felt dumb to me, but it should bring Goku ever closer to matching Beerus - with MUI outright surpassing him, at least in fighting prowess.

The movies seems to follow a similar logic, and the anime consider that Blue Evolution/Blue Kaioken is on par with a newborn God of Destruction (Toppo), which should make them a challenge to even Beerus, even if not outright capable of beating him.

At this point it's really the manga that keeps pushing how strong Beerus is, to the point that even the GoD Battle Royale feels like a joke to a lot of fans, since, by following the manga's logic, Beerus should have one-shotted everyone without a sweat judging by how much stronger he is than the other gods.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:17 pm

If I had to guess what the writers could be thinking, Beerus' power has been surpassed...but only as 'Beerus, the fighter', not 'Beerus, the God of Destruction'. The Granolah arc established that Beerus can seemingly just keep raising his power under the justification that his mind is "always on destruction", and so he never falls behind Goku & Vegeta even when they've added several digits onto their power levels throughout DBS. Whatever the source of 'destruction' is in DB, it's apparently something that gives everlasting power. It might be that this phenomenon is something that Hakaishin(and maybe only Hakaishin) are able to take advantage of, possibly because a Hakaishin needs to remain up high on the power totem so that they aren't simply overthrown by mortals, leading to cosmic disarray.
It would be interesting(and trollish) if it is revealed that Beerus' power is actually determined by how high the combined strength of everyone in the universe is, meaning that Goku & Vegeta unintentionally keep raising Beerus' power by raising their power.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:40 pm

Was it recton that he only fight with 1% of his own power.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:39 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:40 pm Was it recton that he only fight with 1% of his own power.
Well it was never really stated how much he used outside of the movies. In both manga and anime he either lied about how much power he used or never stated it at all, so it's up in the air.

At least in the manga, the fight was a bonafide failure for Goku - he only managed to impress Beerus at the end by stopping his final ki attack.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:42 pm

I just think that Beerus' power gradually increases throughout the arcs due to that one line about always thinking about destruction in the Granolah arc and also with Ultra Ego being a thing (along with it being a natural state for Beerus seemingly).

With this in mind I think it goes something like this:

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:23 pm

theherodjl wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:17 pm If I had to guess what the writers could be thinking, Beerus' power has been surpassed...but only as 'Beerus, the fighter', not 'Beerus, the God of Destruction'.
That seems to be how Toyotaro is playing it at least.
Note how Manga Toppo did highlight how Jiren was superior to Belmod specifically in martial arts.

It's reasonable Vegeta and Goku are now on a similar situation with Beerus, especially with the whole "Not That Much Stronger" comment in Super Hero.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:36 am

It's still legit. Considering how low is the overall Nigen Power of the 7th Universe, at least Goku fought him. Beerus was introduced as bored as hell, as he could roam the Universe and destroy whatever without any real opposition.
Now, the fact Beerus was *so* overpowered is a plot device (10.000 times stronger a Sayan God?!?), but still legit he's positively surprised of such a strong entity in his own, low class Universe. So, he spared the planet (+feeding him sweets + some Whis indirect hint about).
It's a relative strenght, not a absolute one compared to his own.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:41 pm

Beerus is pretty much 'however strong Goku and Vegeta are' multiplied by a billion or whatever, and it just keeps changing to accommodate with how much stronger Goku and Vegeta are.

That's why it doesn't make sense for Beerus to keep freaking out over things Goku and Vegeta do. I get that it's funnier, but he should only be surprised that a mortal was capable of achieving Ultra Instinct but not being worried that he can be defeated.

Beers should be able to one shot Jiren and be yelling at the others to 'beat up that weakling'.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:18 pm

The in-universe answer is that Whis and Beerus enjoys earth food, if the earth is destroyed then no more good food.
It is the reason why Champa wanted Universe 7 earth and why they want that planet to be the prize for winning the tournament. Although Beerus restored Universe 6 earth, which was a nice thing that Beerus did.

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:46 pm

The instant you stop thinking of DBS as something that's actually happening in a real alternate dimension, and start thinking of it as the creative hobby of an old Japanese guy who's just having fun, questions like these become a lot easier to answer for yourself.
Planet Namek Bred

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:33 pm

I thought he spared them because he liked Goku.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:58 pm

picc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:46 pm The instant you stop thinking of DBS as something that's actually happening in a real alternate dimension, and start thinking of it as the creative hobby of an old Japanese guy who's just having fun, questions like these become a lot easier to answer for yourself.
Best post I've seen in years, this sounds glib but its seriously good advice.