Iyoku's plan expand and keep Dragon Ball popular until 2034.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Iyoku's plan expand and keep Dragon Ball popular until 2034.

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:05 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:21 am I don't understand this situation, this guy Iyoku just got the rights of DB or something like that so he can officialy produce anime series? TOEI, Shueisha, Toriyama or whoever owns the franchise sold it to him? sounds too good to be true, on paper.

Could someone explain this to me like I'm a 9 year old?
IF the deal is done, this is how it would work from now on:

- Sheuisha has the manga publishing rights, can't block any anime/video game projects
- Capsule Corp handles the anime/video game rights and produces stuff with Toei, can't block any manga projects
- Toriyama is the original author and under intellectual property laws can do whatever he wants, as long as he honours the existing, legallly-binding contracts and licenses-in-place

Nobody knows for sure how it came to be (IF it finally did) because none of us saw the original contracts between Toriyama (Bird Studio), Shueisha and Toei. I suspect they (Iyoku and Toei) got this to work based of some technicalities/loopholes of Shueisha never actually owning the full IP, hence not having the legal rights to dictate the anime/video game licensing or production rules to Toei. If that wasn't the case there would be absolutely no reason for Shueisha to negotiate any deals regarding a loss of decision making of any section of the DB IP and they would simply tell Iyoku "lol no, bye felicia".

But since Shueisha is/was negotiating then obviously Iyoku/Toei got some pull on their side and likely Toriyama's approval too to go ahead with this (lol at the "betrayal" fanfinction articles I saw around). Shueisha could sue of course and they would have some good arguments too regarding their investement in the franchise across the decades and ownership of the Bird Studio, but court battles like this can take yeeaaaaaars and literally block any content production for all companies involved (we've seen that multiple times with many franchises across the world that got stuck in ownership disputes) so in everyone's best interest and the bottom lines of each company involved is to settle this behind the scenes and work out a deal on paper. If you add Toyotaro to that mix and his involvement in the modern expansion of the IP, his working relationship with Toriyama, Shueisha and Toei it's adding up to an even bigger potential legal clusterfuck so yeah, better to deal with it swiftly BTS rather than in courts.

It's all legal stuff we will prob never know. We need to know first if the deal is actually fully done.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:38 pm

Thanks for the response, fellas, everything is much more clear now.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:23 pm

Had no idea DB has right issues this messy... Wonder if Shueisha having so many rights related to the IP is why stuff from the manga don't show up in games like even in DB Heroes, like maybe Shueisha thinking transformations will make more money if they show up in the anime after the manga, or maybe even Toei blocking off newer stuff from showing up second anywhere but the anime...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:42 pm

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:05 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:21 am I don't understand this situation, this guy Iyoku just got the rights of DB or something like that so he can officialy produce anime series? TOEI, Shueisha, Toriyama or whoever owns the franchise sold it to him? sounds too good to be true, on paper.

Could someone explain this to me like I'm a 9 year old?
IF the deal is done, this is how it would work from now on:

- Sheuisha has the manga publishing rights, can't block any anime/video game projects
- Capsule Corp handles the anime/video game rights and produces stuff with Toei, can't block any manga projects
- Toriyama is the original author and under intellectual property laws can do whatever he wants, as long as he honours the existing, legallly-binding contracts and licenses-in-place

Nobody knows for sure how it came to be (IF it finally did) because none of us saw the original contracts between Toriyama (Bird Studio), Shueisha and Toei. I suspect they (Iyoku and Toei) got this to work based of some technicalities/loopholes of Shueisha never actually owning the full IP, hence not having the legal rights to dictate the anime/video game licensing or production rules to Toei. If that wasn't the case there would be absolutely no reason for Shueisha to negotiate any deals regarding a loss of decision making of any section of the DB IP and they would simply tell Iyoku "lol no, bye felicia".

But since Shueisha is/was negotiating then obviously Iyoku/Toei got some pull on their side and likely Toriyama's approval too to go ahead with this (lol at the "betrayal" fanfinction articles I saw around). Shueisha could sue of course and they would have some good arguments too regarding their investement in the franchise across the decades and ownership of the Bird Studio, but court battles like this can take yeeaaaaaars and literally block any content production for all companies involved (we've seen that multiple times with many franchises across the world that got stuck in ownership disputes) so in everyone's best interest and the bottom lines of each company involved is to settle this behind the scenes and work out a deal on paper. If you add Toyotaro to that mix and his involvement in the modern expansion of the IP, his working relationship with Toriyama, Shueisha and Toei it's adding up to an even bigger potential legal clusterfuck so yeah, better to deal with it swiftly BTS rather than in courts.

It's all legal stuff we will prob never know. We need to know first if the deal is actually fully done.
Why are questiong whether it's a done deal or not? You think the Japanese website is a hoax?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:05 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:42 pm Why are questiong whether it's a done deal or not? You think the Japanese website is a hoax?
Which website?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:42 am

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:05 pm
sangofe wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:42 pm Why are questiong whether it's a done deal or not? You think the Japanese website is a hoax?
Which website?
I updated the original post with sources:
viewtopic.php?t=48602

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:37 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:42 am
Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:05 pm
Which website?
viewtopic.php?t=48602
Aye thx. Neither of the articles/interview states that the deal went through tho. Don't get me wrong, I think it's already done but I'm not sure we can take the reports as confirmation. Iyoku would be an Exec Producer for Daima regardless as it already entered production in 2022 so he may be technically speaking from that perspective and it wouldn't be a lie/legal issue
Lukmendes wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:23 pm Had no idea DB has right issues this messy...
It's still nothing compared to some of the western IPs, or when the estates enter the picture :P how many decades Mattel been fighting with the OG author for He-man lol? :crazy: Marvel is constantly bickering over the rights for Iron-Man, Black Widow, Spider-Man and others with the respective estates too. It's all abour MOAR moenyz
Last edited by Basaku on Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:18 am

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:37 am
sangofe wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:42 am
Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:05 pm Which website?
viewtopic.php?t=48602
Aye thx. Neither of the articles/interview states that the deal went through tho. Don't get me wrong, I think it's already done but I'm not sure we can take the reports as confirmation. Iyoku would be an Exec Producer for Daima regardless as it already as it entered production in 2022 so he may be technically speaking from that perspective and it wouldn't be a lie/legal issue
Lukmendes wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:23 pm Had no idea DB has right issues this messy...
It's still nothing compared to some of the western IPs, or when the estates enter the picture :P how many decades Mattel been fighting with the OG author for He-man lol? :crazy: Marvel is constantly bickering over the rights for Iron-Man, Black Widow, Spider-Man and others with the respective estates too. It's all abour MOAR moenyz
It's safe to be cautious and all but would Iyoku let the articles be published if it wasn't a done deal?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:52 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:18 am It's safe to be cautious and all but would Iyoku let the articles be published if it wasn't a done deal?
Maybe to leverage his/Capsule Corp's position and vision, not unusal during BTS talks like this to get some planted articles in media. Although it's usually done when dealing with public companies and takeovers to sway the investors or board of directors' opinion, or regulatory bodies. Disney was working overtime to prop a favourable narrative in the media during the Fox takeover and I'm still surprised they succeeded, especially with EU anti-monopoly comitee

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:10 am

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:52 am
sangofe wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:18 am It's safe to be cautious and all but would Iyoku let the articles be published if it wasn't a done deal?
Maybe to leverage his/Capsule Corp's position and vision, not unusal during BTS talks like this to get some planted articles in media. Although it's usually done when dealing with public companies and takeovers to sway the investors or board of directors' opinion, or regulatory bodies. Disney was working overtime to prop a favourable narrative in the media during the Fox takeover and I'm still surprised they succeeded, especially with EU anti-monopoly comitee
I see. I highly trust the french youtube Saikyo Devin, though, so if he has decided to go with it I am more or less certain it's right. I have never seen him spread false information before. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:14 pm

To be entirely honest? I kind of wish that the franchise just finally be put to rest.

I liked that Dragon Ball was over. I liked having it all contained in this little box that I can open at any time and just get nostalgic. And when Super became a thing, I was really against it just because it wasn't a thing of the past anymore, now it was just ongoing. And I felt like it trampled on GT's already-spotty legacy. But, whatever--I got over it and I actually enjoyed Super.

But the manga kept going and now Daima and it's just going on and on. I do not have the time to spend on all of this. I had just gotten past the Tournament of Power arc in the manga. And there are just more and more and more things to track and it's just not this neat little nostalgic package anymore.

And quite frankly, it's not like this is some amazing creative work. The series is reaching the point of creative bankruptcy because the stories have been told. Now, they're just all figuring out how to reinvigorate the series rather than tell the stories that were originally thought up. And when a franchise is trying to throw things out there just to move itself forward, it just seems dull and uninspired. Most of all, it feels like it's lacking heart.

I'm sure I would enjoy Daima and the manga continuation. I'm sure I would be entertained the same way as with Super, but there's no love for it because it's just soulless to me.

Now, I am being selfish and I realize that there are a ton of fans who just want it to go on forever and ever and lots of people are making money on it, but that's how I feel. I wish it was just complete. I do not want to keep buying all this manga that's just collecting dust because I haven't gotten to it. I don't want to keep up-to-date on when the releases come out. And I know it seems silly and "Oh, you don't have to buy it," but I'm a completionist and I feel like not getting everything would feel wrong. Anyway, that's just my honest little rant.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:01 pm

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:37 am It's still nothing compared to some of the western IPs, or when the estates enter the picture :P how many decades Mattel been fighting with the OG author for He-man lol? :crazy: Marvel is constantly bickering over the rights for Iron-Man, Black Widow, Spider-Man and others with the respective estates too.
I do hear about Marvel bickering with Ditko's state about the rights of Spidey and Doctor Strange characters, but didn't know that also happened with Iron Man and Black Widow lol.
It's all abour MOAR moenyz
Definitely, specially if one feels they're not getting paid enough for what they created, which does happen a lot because corporations are scum.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:58 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:14 pm To be entirely honest? I kind of wish that the franchise just finally be put to rest.
Not gonna happen. Nothing that makes money truly ends nowadays.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:15 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:01 pm Definitely, specially if one feels they're not getting paid enough for what they created, which does happen a lot because corporations are scum.
True. Altho then we got cases like Sapkowski vs CDProject Witcher drama where he first crapped all over video games in general, considered the whole thing a joke and when the Witcher games became a massive hit, propelling the books and his name onto the worldwide stage as well, he started demanding more money. Not saying he shouldn't recieve it considering the staggering profits, but his attitude did not go unnoticed even in his (and mine) home country.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:55 pm

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:15 pm True. Altho then we got cases like Sapkowski vs CDProject Witcher drama where he first crapped all over video games in general, considered the whole thing a joke and when the Witcher games became a massive hit, propelling the books and his name onto the worldwide stage as well, he started demanding more money. Not saying he shouldn't recieve it considering the staggering profits, but his attitude did not go unnoticed even in his (and mine) home country.
In his case he was being an asshole and a dumbass, not to say he deserves less money, since it is his creation, but it's more like, he shot his own feet.

Cases like Disney trying their hardest to not pay people who wrote their comics, yeah...

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:44 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:55 pm In his case he was being an asshole and a dumbass, not to say he deserves less money, since it is his creation, but it's more like, he shot his own feet.

Cases like Disney trying their hardest to not pay people who wrote their comics, yeah...
I wonder if some solutions could be stolen from the music industry to grant the royalties by law to the authors based on every copy/book sold etc. It could prevent those shitty deals many authors end up with not because of lack of experience/wisdom, but mostly because like you say, massive companies such as Disney/Warner/Amazon can afford top tier laywers and write the most sneaky contracts basically allowing them multiple was to avoid paying to the authors

Then again... this eneded up in the music biz with many songs having 29373 co-writers because everyone be trying to slap their names on to get the writing credits and 'em sweet royalty streams.... I can already see the likes of top executives in the movie/anime industry trying to credit themselves as "co-creators" to get a bigger slice of the pie for themselves if this was ever introduced by law in US/EU/Japan

At least this ain't video game industry where the actual authors = the game developers get the absolutely WORST deal in the whole entertainment world, no secured authorship/ownership of the properties and characters/worlds created etc...

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm

You know, it might be worth noting that there may have also been another reason Shueisha was willing to hand over (certain parts of) DB to Iyoku.

There's apparently a rumor that Shueisha themselves have been attempting to "rid themselves" of DB to some degree (due to investors' influence) in favor of One Piece. It's supposedly the reason that Super Hero's marketing was shockingly piss-poor when compared to One Piece: Film Red.

As unfortunate as this might be, I have to admit that it DOES line up a fair bit with a lot of Shueisha's treatment of the series in recent years.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:56 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm You know, it might be worth noting that there may have also been another reason Shueisha was willing to hand over (certain parts of) DB to Iyoku.

There's apparently a rumor that Shueisha themselves have been attempting to "rid themselves" of DB to some degree (due to investors' influence) in favor of One Piece. It's supposedly the reason that Super Hero's marketing was shockingly piss-poor when compared to One Piece: Film Red.

As unfortunate as this might be, I have to admit that it DOES line up a fair bit with a lot of Shueisha's treatment of the series in recent years.
If that's so why have they still got Dragon Ball Super going?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:31 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm There's apparently a rumor that Shueisha themselves have been attempting to "rid themselves" of DB to some degree (due to investors' influence) in favor of One Piece.
... that's... one of the most nonsensical things I've perhaps ever heard in my 27 years of fandom...? Who is parroting this? Name and shame.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:43 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm There's apparently a rumor that Shueisha themselves have been attempting to "rid themselves" of DB to some degree (due to investors' influence) in favor of One Piece. It's supposedly the reason that Super Hero's marketing was shockingly piss-poor when compared to One Piece: Film Red.
From what Twitter lunatic does this come from?

I'm no investor but that doesn't really sound like a logical decision. I'm not saying it isn't logical because this is a Dragon Ball forum but because why would they get rid of one of their most profitable propierties (along with One Piece) just like that?

They're more likely to get rid of "disposable" propierties that barely sell rather than a big one like Dragon Ball.