Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 101 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 101 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:05 pm

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:44 pm Ohhh this this this! I think it's one of the main aspects that bother me. Back in peak Freeza/Cell sagas a fight could also mean Bulma sneaking out to do something else and completly change the plot mid-way through the fight. Or Krillin destroying the remote controller. With Moro/Granolah, I found myself often just quickly glancing at combat panels and skipping to the dialogues as I never expected anything interesting to happen during the fights, just a fight for the sake of a fight. Might have been well drawn as Toyo improved a lot, but still nothing more.
Yeah, a thing that Toriyama was very good at was setting up a fight and living up to it in some way, and creating cool twists and turns to keep things interesting in the meantime.

One of my favorite examples of this is Vegeta's brief stint as Namek's protagonist, where he was trying to avoid Freeza and getting the dragon balls, and using whatever to his advantage such as Freeza's incapacity to sense ki, which, he kept using even after being captured by Zarbon, since he pretended to escape, was still on the ship, caused another distraction, threw the dragon balls away and then just, left the ship and swan so he wouldn't get caught by flying.

Stuff like that, is awesome, and gives the stories more qualities than just Goku punching a villain in the face.

The lack of such things is why I overall think that Toriyama written movies aren't that interesting, first half is just setting up a fight, then the fight happens, with very few weird twists going on meanwhile... I think the reason why the movies are like that is simply because Toriyama isn't improvising, because when improvising, he may come up with stuff that may create plot holes, it may also keep the plot fun in some way.
Yup. Which is why I couldn't phantom some... YouTubers complaining that Toyo took like 2 month vacation or something. Like literally WTF. This is entertainment business and cartoons, nobody's working overtime here to secure "world peace". And even world peace negotiators SHOULD have vacations too...
That's just gross, whether one likes Toyotaro or not, he still deserves some vacation from work, just like anyone else.

Like, shit, even doctors go on vacations lol.
FortuneSSJ, have I mentioned how smart, handsome and amazing you are and that my PM box is wide open, hot and ready?
Damn didn't expect something like this :lol:
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:18 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:05 pm One of my favorite examples of this is Vegeta's brief stint as Namek's protagonist, where he was trying to avoid Freeza and getting the dragon balls, and using whatever to his advantage such as Freeza's incapacity to sense ki, which, he kept using even after being captured by Zarbon, since he pretended to escape, was still on the ship, caused another distraction, threw the dragon balls away and then just, left the ship and swan so he wouldn't get caught by flying.
Yes yes yes! <3 Namek is probs peak action writing from Toriyama, the entire cat&mouse game racing to the Dragon Balls between all these factions with Freeza, Krillin/Gohan/Bulma, Vegeta, Namekians is just executed masterfully. Easily primetime TV level of writing an intrigue that glues the viewers to screen waiting for the next step of every actor involved.
Lukmendes wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:05 pmStuff like that, is awesome, and gives the stories more qualities than just Goku punching a villain in the face.

The lack of such things is why I overall think that Toriyama written movies aren't that interesting, first half is just setting up a fight, then the fight happens, with very few weird twists going on meanwhile... I think the reason why the movies are like that is simply because Toriyama isn't improvising, because when improvising, he may come up with stuff that may create plot holes, it may also keep the plot fun in some way.
Exactly. Nowadays he just writes "big fight happens" and the results are what they are :( I am surprised tho that no one at Toei seems to realize how much plot progression happened during those Z fights and how much it was part of DB's success. Like, they got taleneted people too, no one took notice of this and tried to implement/replicate it in their original-anime stories?
Lukmendes wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:05 pmDamn didn't expect something like this :lol:
Well, I want to see the new chapter leaks so I ain't above seduction/compliments :lol:

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:41 pm

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:18 pm Yes yes yes! <3 Namek is probs peak action writing from Toriyama, the entire cat&mouse game racing to the Dragon Balls between all these factions with Freeza, Krillin/Gohan/Bulma, Vegeta, Namekians is just executed masterfully. Easily primetime TV level of writing an intrigue that glues the viewers to screen waiting for the next step of every actor involved.
Yeah, while I think Namek has a lot of flaws (Such as zenkais), the highs compensate for the writing issues.
Exactly. Nowadays he just writes "big fight happens" and the results are what they are :( I am surprised tho that no one at Toei seems to realize how much plot progression happened during those Z fights and how much it was part of DB's success. Like, they got taleneted people too, no one took notice of this and tried to implement/replicate it in their original-anime stories?
I think the problem is that, they see Toriyama as this genius who does little wrong, so they don't really bother correcting him.

Super Hero is a funny example of that, since the name having two "super" is just Toriyama somehow not noticing it, and nobody asked him about it? Lol

What helped DB become so good were editors once in a while pulling his ear and telling him to do something else, and nowadays he has too much free reign... Which can be fine too, if others helped with the plot, but they don't really, seems that the best we can get is something like Black's arc, where at least Zamasu got some development over why he became like that (Since Toriyama admitted he sucks at getting in a character's mind like that and just makes villains as evil as they can be), or Broly's movie, where the plot is, there, but the fights were an spectacle.

I also think that part of the problem is just, EoZ, which really gets in the way of weird plot developments that helped Z flourish... Which's why I would like for Daima happen after EoZ just so everyone else can be de-aged, since Toriyama regreted making them so old, 'cause at least this way we can have post EoZ stuff while Toriyama doesn't have to get annoyed at writing old characters... Doesn't mean this would fix the writing issues with Toriyama's script, but at least it could give a chance for something more unpredictable to happen.

At the very least though, Toriyama doesn't let EoZ be too restrictive, since he introduced so many things that outright contradict it, it's just that with it being around, at least the characters all have to be around, alive, and on Earth, by the time it happens, which does cause some limits.
Well, I want to see the new chapter leaks so I ain't above seduction/compliments :lol:
Lol, fair enough.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:15 am

Alright, this chapter was a fun read :lol:
Let's see where we go from there.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:24 am

This was a pleasant read. I like the seeds being planted for further story stuff, but what really got me was the return of Beast so quickly after the climax of the battle with Cell Max, and the arrival of Gokuu on the scene. I wonder if Gokuu is going to try and fight Gohan in #102 or #103?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:26 am

This chapter is almost certainly the beginning of a new arc and not just an extension of the Super Hero arc, which is good because that whole storyline ended conclusively last month. Going further would have felt like aimless product plugging or something.

On the other hand, I have no idea what this arc is about. Broly is still training to control his power, Goku naturally is interested in Gohan's newfound strength, and the Saiyans are acknowledged to still be prepping for Freeza. There's nothing really new here. Maybe we're in Freeza Part 3, after all? Carmine's scheme obviously failed and I'm not sure his role amounts to much more than unwittingly reuniting the dragon team. Without Magenta, I frankly don't think he's interesting enough to carry the entire plot on his own.

Chapter 27, the first of the Universe Survival arc, has a lot of structural similarities to this one – though #27 was a bit better at framing its story's premise by the end there. Still, I'm intrigued to see where this goes. I got a couple of chuckles out of the interactions this month, like Goten posing for his fangirls or the kids getting lectured by Gohan in his Beast form.

I'm optimistic, but only cautiously so.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:30 am

Looks like a transitional chapter in the end, quite nice and finally seem to be moving things forward.

At this point if this doesn't resolve the Freeza plot in some way then it's gonna get really tiring really soon. Far too much talking about Freeza and seemingly foreshadlwing just to never actually deal with him in some form or fashion and let it hang forever. Nah, he's not suited to be the Joker of the franchise, always hanging in the back and popping once in a while.

Too bad not much came from the extended Trunks&Goten adventures, just more Saiyaman stuff + they get duped but nothing else.

Honesly I predict they're gonna get dropped HARD from the focus after this chapter unfortunately in favour of Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Broly & Vegeta...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:37 am

Something I noticed to strengthen the idea that this is the start of a new arc: this will be the first chapter in Volume #24. I have to wonder exactly what'll be going on—surely nothing too big until there's a clean break in the arcs to bring back Black Freeza?
She/Her
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:20 pm

Fun read, indeed. The teens' antics crack me up, I'm a fool for them. The whole premise of doing what the Heeters did with Goku and Vegeta blowing up on Carmine's face was nice and funny. Goten and Trunks being two little baby ducks when Gohan rips off the door... Gohan going nuts, Beast Mode instead of something lesser... although I thought the kids new Carmine, guess not.

People might not like this, but Freeza will be a thing eventually. And I think Broly will be the one to put him down, his arc will probably revolve around controlling his power/rage. Freeza brought Broly to the scene, so it'd be fitting if Broly takes care of him.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:26 pm

Broli being the one to defeat Freeza would be a lot of fun. Centering his arc around dealing with his control, his father's abusing of him, and then Freeza's killing of Paragus and manipulation of Broli is a good way to tie things together and make a cool character arc, especially if tied in to the possibility of Broli himself becoming a father. There's a lot of good material to work with there, and I hope that the staff involved with this comic manage to pull it all together for a nice arc. There's potential for a lot of varied types of fun ripe for the picking!
She/Her
bisexual milf

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:33 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:20 pm Freeza brought Broly to the scene, so it'd be fitting if Broly takes care of him.
Yup could see that happening.

Speaking of - they're obviously hinting that Broly will get some new form/powerup/transformation to utilize his full strenght so whaddya all think it's gonna be? New design, canon repurpoused SSJ4 or Beast like Gohan?
Last edited by Basaku on Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:36 pm

This was an exciting chapter. Seeing Broly having refined his fighting skills and him having some control of his power was good. I'm also glad that Gohan can go Beast at will. It will be interesting to see if Goku tests Gohan's power in the next chapter.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:36 pm

Great chapter. Beerus forgetting Gohan cracked me up, and Toyo's art was on point.

Bringing up Frieza just for Beerus to dismiss his significance was interesting, I think that points to his return, if he does return, being misdirection or setup for something else, similar to his return to earth at the start of the Android saga.

As for what his arc is going to be about, the parallels between Gohan and Broly are very suggestive.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:00 pm

I wonder what Goku says to Vegeta in the original Japanese. "Highlight of your lifetime" is a cute little line but not something I can imagine Super!Goku saying. Would be happy to be proven wrong, though. Always love when Goku gets petty or snarky with Vegeta.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:04 pm

Enjoyable chapter and I'm glad to see that it very much seems like a bridge between stories and not an epilogue. Laughed at the panel of Goten and Trunks just sitting in the car while Gohan inspects it. Loved them dedicating a zoom in over 3 panels to Vegeta bragging about beating Goku. Also loved Beerus just forgetting that Goku is a father.

Hoping for a little fan service in seeing just how beast stacks against ultra instinct in the next chapter.

But most importantly...FINALLY an actual continuation of the story of Super for the first time in so long. I'd missed it a lot

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:30 pm

Forgot to mention: Beerus alluding to Goku surpassing him in the future is funny when you read some of the earlier replies in this thread.

This chapter touches on so many throughlines from previous Super arcs that it's hard not to wonder if the series is gearing up for something grand in scope. Maybe even a finale, given how rapidly we're approaching EoZ. As long as we continue to get that same level of charm we've had from the manga since December 2022, I'm here for it.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:50 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:00 pm I wonder what Goku says to Vegeta in the original Japanese. "Highlight of your lifetime" is a cute little line but not something I can imagine Super!Goku saying. Would be happy to be proven wrong, though. Always love when Goku gets petty or snarky with Vegeta.
He says "You're gonna keep highlighting that huh?"

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:15 pm

Chapter 101 is really good, we see that Broly is making huge progress with his training. I like Goten and Trunks being super hero and Gohan reaction to the RRA was good.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:25 pm

Interesting, "The Super Heroes Battle isn't over yet!" Huh?
I didn't see any continuation of the Super Hero storyline in this chapter, the involvement of Carmine, Goten and Trunks seemed like a mere excuse to reunite Gohan and Goku for whatever is to come
If they had kept those people on Planet Beerus and this chapter revolved around just Goten, Trunks, Gohan and Carmine, I would even think that the superhero storyline could be continued and we would be getting more chapters like the Goten & Trunks prequel
But bringing Goku back to Earth, especially having him reunite with Gohan completely takes the attention away from Carmine and anything Saiyamen X related
So I believe RR and maybe Saiyamen X did their job and now they will be left aside, just like Freeza in early Androids Saga, a return that merely serves to be a bridge that opens doors to what is to come next. That means the previous chapter's final message was a bait, at least for now, idk, maybe seeing Goku scares the shit out of Carmine and makes him fight some ultra mega powerful secret android.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:30 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:30 pm This chapter touches on so many throughlines from previous Super arcs that it's hard not to wonder if the series is gearing up for something grand in scope. Maybe even a finale, given how rapidly we're approaching EoZ. As long as we continue to get that same level of charm we've had from the manga since December 2022, I'm here for it.
Agree, I think it could be starting the final phase of the entire Super "era" to cap it right before EOZ. With how much they added since the ending of TOP, I don't think they will cross post-EOZ anymore and if we ever get post-EOZ content, it will be far more further down the line and under a new brand/subtitle.
Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:25 pm So I believe RR and maybe Saiyamans X did their job and now they will be left aside, just like Freeza in early Androids Saga, a return that merely serves to be a bridge that opens doors to what is to come next. That means the previous chapter's final message was a bait, at least for now, idk, maybe seeing Goku scares the shit out of Carmine and makes him fight some ultra mega powerful secret android.
Yeah I don't see this keeping the focus on Saiyamen, maybe some bits and pieces at most in the next few chapters but other than that, it seems to be heavily shifting the attention into the new narration of Broly/Gohan/Vegeta/Goku training and powerups and back to Black Freeza threat