What's your musical preference?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

What's your musical preference?

Post by Mireya » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:29 am

Since there's a thread about occupation and age, would it also fall under the same allowed category or not?

I'm a big rock guy. I love Metallica, my #1 band, and I've a special passion for the load and reload album. Even though it has softer, and a more hard rock and less heavy metal melody, I think it's one of the heaviest albums due to the in depth and personal to one's struggles and feelings from inside. It's something that I feel it's talking to me, like the Until It Sleeps song... And although not from those albums, The Unforgiven I, II, III when taken together sounds like a masterpiece --- which to me shows the evolution of perception from the vocalist, a reflection about what was his rage about, was there something that was himself for to blame and not others? What it is like to hate a person meant to be important to you that abandoned you, a father, but come to peace with that hate, not total peace, but an understanding that his father hadn't it easier either.

And then ofc I like the heavy metal part of Metallica too,especially the Master of Puppets album. I was always in for softer songs, but I love the energy the Master of Puppets song in specific brings, the lyrics may hit one hard or may be fuel for reflection and the midsection being blended with a soft and melodic song, which contrasts well with the heavy melody and the heavy lyrics, almost, what I feel like, a moment of grief for whoever went or is going through what is depicted... And one concert in special, the Seattle live from '89 they play this song initiating it with to live is to die melody (almost 100% instrumental song) adds an even bigger sense of depth to the song.

Outside Metallica, The Doors is pleasant to hear too, many songs. I was never too much into melodies that seemed unconnected and psychodelic songs, but the ones in which I can find a more consistent melody, like The Crystal Ship sound so daunting and beautiful at the same time. The End too... Which seems to start with a farewell to an old friend but blends into things that are still a mistery and to which I couldn't make an interpretation of, likely not even the author, Jim, had a strong belief of what it was about... Yet sounds dauntingly beautiful too. People are Strange too... Tho the interpretation of their songs is tougher to me, Metallica's ones come more naturally.

Speaking of a Metallica's couvert from a song called Loverman, that was such well done and delivers a powerful message to which I've two interpretations of, both of which I consider very based and plausible and meaningful.

Nirvana was a teen's band... I'd listen to a lot.

And Audioslave... Specially the I'm the Highway song in the live version in Cuba, where the vocal, which is already an obvious coming from Chris Cornwell, but the vocals there were so amazing... And the message of detachment and seek for something more meaningful is also (at least the way I interpret them) very meaningful.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: What's your musical preference?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:33 am

It all depends on my mood. As an Irishman I have a soft spot for ballads and folk music, but I can appreciate all other genres from modern and classic pop to different types of rock and some hip hop too.

While he wouldn't be known outside Ireland I think Jimmy MacCarthy is one of the finest singer-songwriters out there, his lyrics are top notch, he has written mostly folk songs, but with a contemporary feel.

I also quite enjoy artists like U2, Olivia Rodrigo, Hot Chip, Elliott Smith, The Dubliners, Guns N Roses, Public Enemy, Michael Jackson, Joe Dolan, Hank Williams, The Carpenters, any film or TV scores from John Williams and of course Dragon Ball's own composers, especially Shunsuke Kikuchi. Basically anything with a good melody, memorable lyrics or instrumentation I'll give a fair shot.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:20 am

A big reason why I love Sagisu Shirou is because of how many different styles he employs in his work. Everything from giant operatic symphonies to heavy metal, pop, blues, jazz and more. I love a lot of different anime composers in general, though.

Outside of anime, I've been really taken with the work of Queen on occasion. I also like to listen to smaller creators, like Mel Stone.

I've been pretty disappointed with Dragon Ball's musical sound post-Kikuchi. I really enjoyed Takanashi Yasuharu's Dragon Ball Kai insert song and wish he had done the score for Kai and Super, as opposed to Sumitomo. Takanashi's work is traditionally both really exciting and warm.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:20 pm

Inside Dragon Ball, I'm a big fan of Akihito Tokunaga (GT), Arima Takanori (BT2) and whoever composes for Dokkan Battle (damn it, Bandai Namco, credit the game's composers. Their tracks are pure gold)

Outside Dragon Ball, I've heard and like several genres: Rock, industrial, acid jazz, electro, J-rock & pop, funk, ambient, eurobeat, house, rap and chiptune.

Here are some bands who I like: Linkin Park, System of a Down, PUFFY and Nona Reeves.

And some composers I like: Sota Fujimori, Hideki Kobayashi, Hideki Naganuma, Fumie Kumatani, Go Ichinose, Kohta Takahashi and DV-I.

If you're someone who likes the Y2K aesthetic (late 90s-early 00s) like me, I strongly recommend to listen to DV-I's tracks. She's amazing.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:43 pm

Very nice. I'll definitely take a look on the artists you people mentioned.

Do you ppl like Ennio Morricone's tracks? The ones I'm mostly aware of are the ones made for Sergio Leone's movies which I love, specially the Dollars Trilogy. I think the Ecstasy of Gold is the track that stand out the most for people but I've a special liking to the main theme of for a few dollars more and the individual track of the character "El Indio", as well as Harmonica's music from Once Upon a Time in the West... The latter in which its distorted notes are put in a way it seems like the character is screaming in pain and despair despite his stoic attitude. Very strong composition to listen to.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:32 pm

Mireya wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:29 am Since there's a thread about occupation and age, would it also fall under the same allowed category or not?

I'm a big rock guy. I love Metallica, my #1 band, and I've a special passion for the load and reload album. Even though it has softer, and a more hard rock and less heavy metal melody, I think it's one of the heaviest albums due to the in depth and personal to one's struggles and feelings from inside. It's something that I feel it's talking to me, like the Until It Sleeps song... And although not from those albums, The Unforgiven I, II, III when taken together sounds like a masterpiece --- which to me shows the evolution of perception from the vocalist, a reflection about what was his rage about, was there something that was himself for to blame and not others? What it is like to hate a person meant to be important to you that abandoned you, a father, but come to peace with that hate, not total peace, but an understanding that his father hadn't it easier either.

And then ofc I like the heavy metal part of Metallica too,especially the Master of Puppets album. I was always in for softer songs, but I love the energy the Master of Puppets song in specific brings, the lyrics may hit one hard or may be fuel for reflection and the midsection being blended with a soft and melodic song, which contrasts well with the heavy melody and the heavy lyrics, almost, what I feel like, a moment of grief for whoever went or is going through what is depicted... And one concert in special, the Seattle live from '89 they play this song initiating it with to live is to die melody (almost 100% instrumental song) adds an even bigger sense of depth to the song.

Outside Metallica, The Doors is pleasant to hear too, many songs. I was never too much into melodies that seemed unconnected and psychodelic songs, but the ones in which I can find a more consistent melody, like The Crystal Ship sound so daunting and beautiful at the same time. The End too... Which seems to start with a farewell to an old friend but blends into things that are still a mistery and to which I couldn't make an interpretation of, likely not even the author, Jim, had a strong belief of what it was about... Yet sounds dauntingly beautiful too. People are Strange too... Tho the interpretation of their songs is tougher to me, Metallica's ones come more naturally.

Speaking of a Metallica's couvert from a song called Loverman, that was such well done and delivers a powerful message to which I've two interpretations of, both of which I consider very based and plausible and meaningful.

And Audioslave... Specially the I'm the Highway song in the live version in Cuba, where the vocal, which is already an obvious coming from Chris Cornwell, but the vocals there were so amazing... And the message of detachment and seek for something more meaningful is also (at least the way I interpret them) very meaningful.
This thread is nice but even ignoring the elephant in the living room, Kanzenshuu DOES NOT have an Off Topic section to do threads like this.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:46 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:32 pm
Mireya wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:29 am Since there's a thread about occupation and age, would it also fall under the same allowed category or not?

This thread is nice but even ignoring the elephant in the living room, Kanzenshuu DOES NOT have an Off Topic section to do threads like this.
Well, wouldn't that be similar to asking about people's occupations and ages? It's not off topic in a sense that discusses outside worldwide things, only basic ones for users to share real and cool preferences in music.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:04 am

I geuninely listen to everything, any sort of genre, besides most metal stuff, though I certainly find that stuff very interesting. I listen to a lot of alt rock, especially stuff on the more noise or shoegaze side, I love a lot of 90s gangsta rap as well as modern day hip hop, and everything Kanye did from 05-2016. I also really love a lot of indie pop stuff, such as a lot of early K Records bands and a lot of J-Indie like advantage Lucy. And I'm very into to trying to listen to a lot of music from different cultures, especially a lot of West African and Brazilian music, MPB and Highlife are two genres I really wanna dig into.

To say it a bit more succinctly, I'd say my 5 favorite artists at the moment are yeule (their 2023 album is absolutely stunning), Faye Wong, Beat Happening, Akiko Yano (don't super love her most well regarded stuff but there's a ton of really amazing stuff thru out her super wide catalog), and Jorge Ben, with my 5 favorite albums being The Buried Life by Medicine (The Pink is my all time favorite song, pretty easily), Vespertine by Bjork, Luminousorangesuperplastic by Luminousorange, Tigermilk by Belle and Sebastian and Real Fiction by The Fakes.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:36 am

MPB songs are amazing and that's coming from a Brazilian guy. If you want a tip, search for Chico Buarque and Milton Nascimento. Chico is one of the best composers ever, were him from the US he'd always appear in those lists as one of the best song writers and of all his songs, one that stands out still for many as an absolute masterpiece is "construção". But it'd be nice listening if you understand Portuguese or if you don't, putting in, dunno if available, English captions, for the lyrics are the gem of the song imo. Milton Nascimento is way more known as having a fantastic, almost God-like voice and singing many of Chico's songs, combining a huge poet with a huge impactful voice. Still, one not so spoken song from Milton here, with Nana Caynin, is Sentinela, which has an impactful feeling of something deathly resembling, with a seemingly Gregorian tune, whose lyrics and overall melody hits me hard. But there're several of course, MPB is so rich and is still something I want to get deeper in for the vast and powerful, content-rich songs it depicts.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:41 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:04 am I geuninely listen to everything, any sort of genre, besides most metal stuff, though I certainly find that stuff very interesting. I listen to a lot of alt rock, especially stuff on the more noise or shoegaze side, I love a lot of 90s gangsta rap as well as modern day hip hop, and everything Kanye did from 05-2016. I also really love a lot of indie pop stuff, such as a lot of early K Records bands and a lot of J-Indie like advantage Lucy. And I'm very into to trying to listen to a lot of music from different cultures, especially a lot of West African and Brazilian music, MPB and Highlife are two genres I really wanna dig into.

To say it a bit more succinctly, I'd say my 5 favorite artists at the moment are yeule (their 2023 album is absolutely stunning), Faye Wong, Beat Happening, Akiko Yano (don't super love her most well regarded stuff but there's a ton of really amazing stuff thru out her super wide catalog), and Jorge Ben, with my 5 favorite albums being The Buried Life by Medicine (The Pink is my all time favorite song, pretty easily), Vespertine by Bjork, Luminousorangesuperplastic by Luminousorange, Tigermilk by Belle and Sebastian and Real Fiction by The Fakes.
Speaking of alt rock, have you ever listened to Crippled Black Phoenix? It's a really cool rock band, a more underground one, idk if it'd fall more in line with alt rock or underground rock or both, but in case you haven't heard about, may be worth checking. I like some of their songs a lot, specially In Bad Dreams, To You I Give and We Forgotten Who We Are, the latter which I'd recommend as the first one to try due to its fantastic blend with melody and powerful provocative lyrics.

Take me to Church is a song I love, but sadly that's the only one from Hozier that Stood up to me lol, the other ones I found kinda meh.

Also, maybe in the terms of alt rock, an old band called Blue Oyster Cult is fantastic too and sadly, imo, underrated. That song Astronomy is so melodic and with such a through provoking lyrics that I know it's something deep, have some ideas about what it may convey, but can never be sure or even know if it's a sensible interpretation in the sense that it gets close a little to its intent. I even searched for its meaning in song lyrics meaning and everyone had a different interpretation of it haha.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:05 pm

I like different types of music. Old school hip hop, heavy metal, hard rock, progressive rock, etc. I mostly listen to film scores and video game scores on my spare time. If I have to write my favorite list of bands and musicans, it would be this list

Long List
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:56 pm

Oh god Mireya was finally banned. GOOD. I wonder what took the mods so long.

Also this is offtopic to Kanzenshuu, it has to do SOMETHING with Dragon Ball to be an allowed thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:05 pm

While not everything I like, much of what I love falls into the four following categories:

Heavy Metal
My parents are both metalheads, so I grew up listening to a lot of heavy metal. The first decade of my life had me hearing a lot of Metallica and Megadeth, and to a lesser extent Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Pantera, and White Zombie. I very much internalized this, and heavy metal continues to broadly be my favorite genre of music. Other metal bands I've come to really like include Black Sabbath, System of a Down, Ice-T's Body Count, Manilla Road, Slayer, Testament, Avenged Sevenfold, Overkill, Dio (with Rainbow, or solo), and Korpiklaani. Among metal bands I've discovered since highschool that I've come to love include Grinder, Sigh, Ensiferum, and Bathory. Within heavy metal itself, my favorite sub-genres are thrash metal, black metal, folk metal, and viking metal. It's not surprising then that my four favorite metal bands are probably Metallica and Megadeth (both thrash metal), and Bathory and Ensiferum (both folk/viking metal).

Medieval Folk
Having played video games all my life, I do love my share of video game soundtracks as well. The games whose OSTs I like the most include Golden Sun, Fable, and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Golden Sun's composer, Motoi Sakuraba, and Oblivion's composer, Jeremy Soule, also have some non-game related stuff that I've sought out and also enjoy quite a bit. They've got a nice, atmospheric, ambient, nature-y sound to them that's of a kin with some of the stuff put out by the folk metal bands mentioned above. Along the same lines, I've also been slowly listening to dungeon synth, specifically Fief. Speaking of the folk metal bands mentioned above, before Korpiklaani was Korpiklaani, they were a folk music group called Shaman/Shamaani Duo, which I'd also place in the same category as these game OSTs and dungeon synth. I would also group the Conan the Barbarian film OST into this category.

Hip Hop
I do also enjoy hip-hop to an extent. I like some gangster rap, like NWA (plus Eazy-E and Dr. Dre's solo material) and especially Dre Dog/Andre Nickatina, and some goofier stuff like the Beastie Boys, Afroman, and Mac Dre.

Anime/Pop
Thanks to Satoshi Kon's works, and the old Berserk anime, I've also become a fan of Susumu Hirasawa, started digging into some his really old stuff. In terms of Dragon Ball, I love Hironobu Kageyama's vocal songs, the Kikuchi score, and the Faulconer Productions score as well (even if I don't find it a good match for an 80's kung fu story). Masato Nakamura (of Dreams Come True) contributed music to the first two Sonic the Hedgehog games, and I love both soundtracks quite a bit.