Did #17 and #18 survive Earth's destruction in Resurrection F?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Did #17 and #18 survive Earth's destruction in Resurrection F?

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:20 am

Putting aside the question of "could they subsequently survive in the vacuum of space"...

Freeza was able to survive Namek's destruction. #17 and #18 were stronger than Freeza in the Namek arc. Ergo, #17 and #18 should be able to survive Earth's destruction, right?

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Did #17 and #18 survive Earth's destruction in Resurrection F?

Post by super michael » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:10 pm

Namekians can regenerate due to the type of aliens that they are and not because of power level.
Freeza can survive in space not because of his power level, but because of the type of alien that he is.

C18 and C17 are still humans, the only thing Dr Gero modified was their power level, stamina and undetectable ki. Breathing they are still normal humans, therefore they can't survive in space.

Vegeta died in space in RoF, even though he was in SSB.
In the Moro chapter it was mentioned that Goku and Vegeta can't fight in space. Only Boo could go after Moro to fight him.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:24 pm

Zephyr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:20 am Putting aside the question of "could they subsequently survive in the vacuum of space"...

Freeza was able to survive Namek's destruction. #17 and #18 were stronger than Freeza in the Namek arc. Ergo, #17 and #18 should be able to survive Earth's destruction, right?
Yeah Chaozu and Yamcha too, probably sleeping Boo, the humans really do die in space.
Unless we truly wedge in the early db moon stuff as canon and they go there lol
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:24 pm

Did #18 use her barrier technique to protect protect Marron?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:36 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:24 pm Did #18 use her barrier technique to protect protect Marron?
C18 doesn't barriers at all, that is C17 technique. C18 staying behind was just bad writing, why not leave Marron with Kuririn or a non fighter.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:25 pm

I don't think they could have. 17 was oblivion to it, he probably was picking up apples on his island and bam. 18 was at home doing something with her daughter when the floor exploded.

I always felt the story treated Freeza's survival as he was somehow able to Majin Buu his way back to health... but he probably ended up mangled like in the Namek arc. Perhaps even more, due to the power used on Earth was more than the shitty blast from Namek. But now with no army to patch him back up.

I was also unsettled by the fact that SSB Vegeta wasn't able to produce a barrier or something to survive the blast, and join the crew in that Whis bubble before he rans out of air.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:32 pm

I doubt it given how powerful the blast is.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:39 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:32 pm I doubt it given how powerful the blast is.
The blast isn't the issue here. There is no blast in the Moro chapter, however Goku and Vegeta can't battle in space.
Goku was going to follow Moro into space, but Vegeta stopped Goku reminding him Saiyans can survive in space.

Humans can't survive in space.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:42 am

super michael wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:39 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:32 pm I doubt it given how powerful the blast is.
The blast isn't the issue here. There is no blast in the Moro chapter, however Goku and Vegeta can't battle in space.
Goku was going to follow Moro into space, but Vegeta stopped Goku reminding him Saiyans can survive in space.

Humans can't survive in space.
Yeah Chaozu Yamcha Vegeta Trunks Goten 17 and 18 all survived the blast and were pushed out into space, only to start dying after that.

TBH the Do over was the best thing for them rather than making it to the bubble so they don't have to remember watching everyone around them dying and suffocating to death in space. Sounds super dark but that's the point they Do-overed away the darkness.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.