Dubisms from your own dub (NOT funimation) you keep using.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dubisms from your own dub (NOT funimation) you keep using.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:30 pm

I use them all, most SEEM like Funimation-ism but actually predate Funimation's dubs. Krillin, Kamisama, Pikoro and so on.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dubisms from your own dub (NOT funimation) you keep using.

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:24 pm

As someone that grew up with the Westwood and Blue Water dubs I still like to use Oceanisms such as Bulla (pronounced "Bew-La" not "Bull-A") or II Shenron (pronounced "Ee Shen-Ron) instead of Omega Shenron.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:29 pm

I call Koran Whiskers the wonder cat from time to time but But also In in the WestWood dub they some times call yamcha as ya-mcha the same applies to videl As instead of vidle it sound like vedle

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:03 am

Please don't get me started on how terrible the Italian dub was, I'm trying to put it behind me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:35 am

nineko wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:03 am Please don't get me started on how terrible the Italian dub was, I'm trying to put it behind me.
They even refused to do Kai where they could have corrected most of the mistakes and innacuracies. I feel for you.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:14 am

We didn't have proper polish dub until DBS and we mostly have original names in DBS/Kai dub anyway.

But we had infamous french dub + polish lector combo and i sometimes tend to use these ridiculous names but mostly try to avoid that. Most of times i use either original names, english dub names or polish DB/DBS manga names.

Since there is no need to explain jap/eng names and polish lector names were already discussed from time to time, i can tell you some manga names we have and i sometimes like to use myself:

-Ginyu -> Mleckor (Mleko = Milk)
-Beerus -> Piwus (Piwo = Beer)
-Majin Buu -> Okrutny Buu (Okrutny = Cruel)
-Ox King -> Byczy Lucyfer (Byk = Bull)
-Power Pole -> Długokrótek (Długi = Long, Krótki = Short, so basically something like "Longyshorty" lol)
-Yajirobe -> Żarłomir (Żarłok = Glutton, so it's kinda "Gluttonboy" i guess)
-Dodoria -> Dorian (Dorian is basically a male name used in Poland, not a common name though)
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta