Crunchyroll to stream Dragon Ball in Ireland, UK and France

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Crunchyroll to stream Dragon Ball in Ireland, UK and France

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm

Some great news, particularly for Irish, British and French fans that don't own Dragon Ball yet, but it looks like Crunchyroll will be streaming the original series just in time for the franchises 40th anniversary. The Japanese version, English dub (almost certainly Funimation) and French dub will be released along with English and French subs.

Not only that, but Z, GT, Kai and Super are also coming:
Nicholas Friedman wrote:

The Dragon Ball catalog on Crunchyroll is expanding! Crunchyroll has announced that over 800 episodes of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT and more will soon stream on the service in the United Kingdom and France—kicking off with the original Dragon Ball series in English sub, English dub, French sub and French dub on February 9.

Check out the full list of Dragon Ball titles coming to the Crunchyroll catalog, and stay tuned for additional release date info for France and the UK!

About Dragon Ball:

The Dragon Ball phenomenon first began in 1984, when Akira Toriyama's famous manga was first published in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump, becoming a leading title during its publication.

With Dragon Ball's ever-growing popularity, the series has expanded beyond manga to include animated series, films, games and merchandising. Produced by Toei Animation, the anime has been broadcast for over 30 years across Europe.

Are you excited for the arrival of more Dragon Ball anime in the UK and France? Let us know in the comments if you're excited to re-experience the original Dragon Ball in just a few short days!
Some dates:
  • Original Dragon Ball streams in UK, Ireland and France on February 9th
  • Dragon Ball Z streams in UK and Ireland on March 1st. France to be confirmed
  • Dragon Ball GT streams in UK and Ireland on March 15th. France to be confirmed
  • Dragon Ball Kai streams in UK and Ireland on March 29th. France to be confirmed
  • Dragon Ball Super streaming date to be confirmed for all UK, Irish and French customers
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Crunchyroll to stream Dragon Ball in Ireland, UK and France

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:58 pm

Amazing news.

This is long overdue, and will hopefully get more people back into the series.

I'm sure the home releases will continue to do well, as many anime fans tend to be collectors.

It would be great if we could get the OG DB movies on there too, as only the first is available in the UK/Ireland.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:36 am

I wonder what the video sources for DB and DBZ will be.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:14 am

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:58 pmThis is long overdue, and will hopefully get more people back into the series.
Yeah, I was thinking of using this as a way to get my brother-in-law into Dragon Ball as I know he has a Crunchyroll account. It's also great for people who haven't watched the series in a while and don't own it to have a quick, convenient way to rewatch, especially with Daima on the horizon for those that want to catch up.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:58 pm I'm sure the home releases will continue to do well, as many anime fans tend to be collectors.
Probably, yes. I still like the home releases, although I understand physical media isn't for everyone so I'm glad now those that don't want to collect the DVDs and Blu-Rays have another legal option. Also means Irish and British fans will have a way around the authoring issue on Manga UK's discs where the first half of episode 81 (subbed) plays twice rather than the full episode, as I'm expecting these to use the video tracks for Funimation's US releases.

There's also still value in the home media released here, as when Kai drops I'm pretty sure it will use the Kikuchi score for episodes 1-98 whereas fans that want to watch with the Yamamoto score will still have the option of Manga UK's Blu-Rays for episodes 1-39.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:58 pm It would be great if we could get the OG DB movies on there too, as only the first is available in the UK/Ireland.
Yup, and even with the first original Dragon Ball movie, only the edited BLT dub was released. I wish Manga UK released all 4 movies uncut when they were releasing the Z movies as I would have liked to support a local release even though I have Funimation's movie 4-pack.
sangofe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:36 am I wonder what the video sources for DB and DBZ will be.
For the dubs? If I were a betting man I'd say it will be from Funimation's season sets. There is a chance the sub track will use the Dragon Box footage, FunimationNow did for that track only and since they rebranded to Crunchyroll that may carry over.

I know because France is in the equation some people are hoping for AB Groupe's Blu-Ray remaster, but I can't see that source being used as I can't see Crunchyroll putting in the effort to work out a deal to acquire them when they have "good enough" (for most fans) masters at their disposal, and even if they did it would only be for the first 68 episodes anyway as Box 2 still hasn't been released.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:26 am

Fantastic news! Glad that everything's being covered. Would be nice if Crunchyroll could get Kai in the US. While I'm glad we have it on Hulu, there's no Japanese version (though that's not as much an issue for Kai) and some of the episodes are the Nicktoons cut. Plus, it would be nice to have everything in one place. For now, though, I hope folks across the pond enjoy easy access to the whole series, and the best English dub of the franchise (Kai) to boot!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:46 am

Keep in mind Crunchyroll isn't free anymore to watch.
People needs to pay to watch any episode, doesn't matter what anime or episode that they watch.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:22 am

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:46 am Keep in mind Crunchyroll isn't free anymore to watch.
People needs to pay to watch any episode, doesn't matter what anime or episode that they watch.
This is why I support Telefuturo and La Tele airing Dragon Ball over the air for free.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:30 pm

If I didn't own the home releases I'd be all over this.

Even if it's not free it's still pretty damn good for the amount of content you get. Paying a monthly fee for a few months while you binge 600+ episodes is a great deal.

I'm a physical media guy who loves to collect the home releases, but many people aren't. Paying for membership long enough to watch the entire series still works out way cheaper than buying the various DVDs/Blu-rays.

I can see this bringing in new fans. I bet there's plenty of people who've been interested in watching DB, but weren't prepared to spend a small fortune collecting it all. This is definitely a positive development.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:53 am

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:30 pm
I can see this bringing in new fans. I bet there's plenty of people who've been interested in watching DB, but weren't prepared to spend a small fortune collecting it all. This is definitely a positive development.
Eh most people pirate these days so I don't know how many potential fans would be interested in watching Dragon Ball but let overpriced home video releases keep them away.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool fans can watch the series legally for a relatively low price but I don't see it doing much to bring in new fans.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:56 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:53 am Eh most people pirate these days so I don't know how many potential fans would be interested in watching Dragon Ball but let overpriced home video releases keep them away.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool fans can watch the series legally for a relatively low price but I don't see it doing much to bring in new fans.
This isn't the reality of everyday viewers. They watch what's easily and freely available in front of them.

(Source: my discussion with friends and family who are parents, my discussions with millennial/gen-z contractors/agencies/partners/etc. that I video chat with on a regular basis as part of my actual job and who light up seeing the DB stuff behind me and tell me their life stories.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:56 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:53 am Eh most people pirate these days so I don't know how many potential fans would be interested in watching Dragon Ball but let overpriced home video releases keep them away.

This isn't the reality of everyday viewers. They watch what's easily and freely available in front of them.

(Source: my discussion with friends and family who are parents, my discussions with millennial/gen-z contractors/agencies/partners/etc. that I video chat with on a regular basis as part of my actual job and who light up seeing the DB stuff behind me and tell me their life stories.)
I agree people usually prefer convenience which usually means whatever streaming services they're subscribe to. But are we really going to pretend pirating isn't a common thing? https://movieweb.com/game-of-thrones-most-pirated-2022/ Especially with people being put off by the oversaturation of streaming services and the lack of reliability with a show staying in a service's library for very long.

I'm a physical release guy myself, but I don't deny most people these days just use streaming both legally and illegally.

It is a good thing to have the series legally available for a low price especially since, as far as I am aware, the Japanese subs use the Dragon Box Z masters. I just don't think it's going to do much in the way of gaining new fans.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:21 pm

These are clearly the same video masters from ~2009, with the Japanese audio keeping the original title card but leaving the credits textless. They even open with the 2011-era Funimation logo, which is a bit ironic given this week's news.
Episodes 1-25 are free with ads.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:50 pm

I agree. Most people stream and pay for it. Piracy isn't big anymore. Thankfully.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:41 pm

I agree people usually prefer convenience which usually means whatever streaming services they're subscribe to. But are we really going to pretend pirating isn't a common thing? https://movieweb.com/game-of-thrones-most-pirated-2022/ Especially with people being put off by the oversaturation of streaming services and the lack of reliability with a show staying in a service's library for very long.

I'm a physical release guy myself, but I don't deny most people these days just use streaming both legally and illegally.

It is a good thing to have the series legally available for a low price especially since, as far as I am aware, the Japanese subs use the Dragon Box Z masters. I just don't think it's going to do much in the way of gaining new fans.
On the other hand I don't see how putting Dragon Ball on TV would gain new fans. I believe streaming services attract more new fans than TV channels.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:25 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:50 pm

On the other hand I don't see how putting Dragon Ball on TV would gain new fans. I believe streaming services attract more new fans than TV channels.
I don't know who was arguing in favor of putting Dragon Ball back on tv and saying that will gain new fans, but it certainly wasn't me. I've long since pointed out traditional tv was dead for the under 60 crowd.

Anecdotal and all that but the cross promotion with Fortnite has done more for Dragon Ball getting new fans than the show streaming on Crunchyroll USA or Kai and Super airing on Toonami USA.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:49 pm

There's no question traditional TV doesn't have the influence it once had but there are still people who watch it, and I know plenty under 60. Hell, a new linear channel just launched in the UK (on that note I urge anyone that wants Ocean Kai released to find a way to contact them - parent company is Graft Ventures), so clearly there is a market however small it might be. Dragon Ball obviously wouldn't be the monster hit on a linear channel that it was 20-25 years ago but it wouldn't hurt either. As long as there's one new fan who gets into the series big time by watching on TV (which I don't think is unrealistic) I'm all for it. The same is true for physical media, it has declined but it still exists and has its supporters (myself included) although that's more an avenue for established fans than a gateway for new ones.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:25 pm

I don't know who was arguing in favor of putting Dragon Ball back on tv and saying that will gain new fans, but it certainly wasn't me. I've long since pointed out traditional tv was dead for the under 60 crowd.

Anecdotal and all that but the cross promotion with Fortnite has done more for Dragon Ball getting new fans than the show streaming on Crunchyroll USA or Kai and Super airing on Toonami USA.
I just love all this shade thrown at me unintentionally or not but I LOVE IT. I admit it! It was me! I said Dragon Ball could attract more fans through TV. AND I WAS RIGHT! Grupo Vierci airs Dragon Ball and kids love it where I live. They keep airing it on loop and the ratings are always amazing. Telefuturo only airs DBZ but La Tele also airs Dreamworks Cartoons. And the advertisers sell so much air time that Soap is literally sold during the programme, yes DBZ is a literal Soap Opera now.

EDIT: I meant advertisers dont even wait for commercial breaks.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:03 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:35 pm

I just love all this shade thrown at me unintentionally or not but I LOVE IT. I admit it! It was me! I said Dragon Ball could attract more fans through TV. AND I WAS RIGHT! Grupo Vierci airs Dragon Ball and kids love it where I live. They keep airing it on loop and the ratings are always amazing. Telefuturo only airs DBZ but La Tele also airs Dreamworks Cartoons. And the advertisers sell so much air time that Soap is literally sold during the programme, yes DBZ is a literal Soap Opera now.

I honestly believe streaming, at least here in Norway, is the way to go. More and more people don't borther to pay for TV channels. Actually it's half of the population that don't watch TV-channels anymore according to statistics: https://www.ssb.no/kultur-og-fritid/tid ... meter-2022

Of people 25-34 almost 70% watch streaming instead of TV-channels, only 45+ prefer to watch TV over streaming services.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:28 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:03 am

I honestly believe streaming, at least here in Norway, is the way to go. More and more people don't borther to pay for TV channels. Actually it's half of the population that don't watch TV-channels anymore according to statistics: https://www.ssb.no/kultur-og-fritid/tid ... meter-2022

Of people 25-34 almost 70% watch streaming instead of TV-channels, only 45+ prefer to watch TV over streaming services.
I know. I love streaming. Streaming is great! I think its awesome. I just meant that Streaming may be the future but we are living in the HERE AND NOW. Broadcast TV isnt dead yet. Also you didnt adress any of my post. Just said streaming is the way to go without adressing anything.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:47 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:28 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:03 am

I know. I love streaming. Streaming is great! I think its awesome. I just meant that Streaming may be the future but we are living in the HERE AND NOW. Broadcast TV isnt dead yet. Also you didnt adress any of my post. Just said streaming is the way to go without adressing anything.
The post wasn't addressed at you especially.
TV is not dead but it's probably not the best way to get new fans in. At least not here in Norway. Personally it's already been 7-8 years since I stopped watching TV.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:27 am

Oh okay THAT is true. I dont know if Norway even airs anime on TV. That's a great take. Every country and region is different.

Oh and btw I think The BBC still edits their anime on their streaming service but I think its okay since their streaming service is basically for free. I mean if you pay the license for watching TV you can access it for free.

EDIT: Also why did you quote me if it wasnt adressed at me?