New Toei film looks DB-inspired?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

New Toei film looks DB-inspired?

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:13 pm

Toei has a new film coming out and the main character, drawn by Naoto Oshima of Sonic fame, seems to look a bit Dragon Ballish? Granted, I know Goku is based on Journey of the West and all, but given this is Toei Animation, I'm thinking there might be an influence?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: New Toei film looks DB-inspired?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:24 pm

With both being based on the same source material I feel like it's inevitable that Toei Animation staff will reference something from their other series' interpretation.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:52 pm

My immediate assumption was that it was another Journey to the West adaptation but apparently it isn't? So the character pictured is just Monkey King-esque rather than the actual Monkey King?

I'm not getting Dragon Ball vibes other than the common ancestor but wouldn't surprise me if it they did invoke Dragon Ball since it seems like it's Toei trying to break out into a wider Western audience

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:11 pm

I think this is to Dragon Ball what Pretty Cure is to Sailor Moon.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:59 am

I'm definitely interested in seeing what happens with this thing, but it's not any more Dragon Ball than other things derivative of Journey to the West. Yeah, monkey guy has spiky hair, but...it's Ohshima. His stuff sometimes looks like Sonic even when it isn't. Still, I'm excited to see where this goes.