Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:41 pm

His influence on a lot of pop culture being so great, that even people you'd think are unrelated to his work or field are chiming in.

Katsuhiro Harada, Tekken developer:
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/statu ... 8725434461

And these two were really unexpected for being in a circle I usually follow...

Takanobu Terada, SRW producer:
https://twitter.com/TakanobuTerada/stat ... 2939905098

Masami Obari, animator who usually does mecha anime but also some 90's FG OVA's (Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu, Battle Arena Toshinden):
https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/1765962621751333082
(This one speaks of admiration for how he continued to seek out challenges and never ceasing to evolve, even after reaching the top.)

For a related figure though, Chrono Trigger's composer, VGM legend Yasunori Mitsuda, couldn't help but speak up:
https://twitter.com/YasunoriMitsuda/sta ... 1908425882

And then all this info that's coming to light, some of it straight from other creators elsewhere about how something he made influenced them, or how they made a shoutout to his work in their own, it's way more than most including myself thought we knew.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:27 pmThis is the reason why I will always defend Super and I can never bring myself to hate it, no matter what "flaws" people think to have found with it.

Having been able to follow a Dragon Ball series as it was being produced, written, and aired for the first time is an unprecedented experience that marked my 2010s.

For that I will always be grateful for Super's existence.
Let's be real, all media has flaws and Dragon Ball is no different, but that's not what matters, what matters is what the series means to us, and the fact its brought people from all walks of life together. There's very few properties like it that have the same magic and are such an inspiration.

Super showed the world this franchise is more than just some silly kids cartoon from the 80s and 90s as there was genuine anticipation and excitement to see how everything would unfold as news came out of Japan, which was a big part of the fun of following series in general that we lacked during the original run.

For that Super will always be special, and the fact it was my first exposure to the Japanese cast is an added bonus.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:19 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:21 am Is it just me or did Stan Lee not even get this big of a reaction after his passing? I never thought Akira Toriyama's death would impact people more than the guy who helped create Spider-Man and revolutionize Marvel overall.
With all due respect, Stan Lee was a businessman who screwed over many creative partners when it comes to credit and money, with Jack Kirby being the most notable.

The people who would truly care about Stan Lee's impact on comic books, are also the people who know this about him.

Toriyama is a creative through and through and is beloved by everyone he's ever worked with. There isn't a blemish on his record.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:32 pm

I can't even put into words the impact this man has had on my life. Rest in peace Toriyama.

Thank you for everything.
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:04 am

This past weekend was pretty rough. I found out at lunch on Friday and it made work a little difficult because if it were not for Dragon Ball, I wouldn't be in Japan today. I had actually decided to rewatch DB from the beginning after so many years earlier this week, and it was such strange timing that it almost feels like a sign. Then, I saw so many tributes on Twitter, including one from a game designer who worked on Sonic and said it was heavily inspired by Toriyama. I'm a huge Sonic fan too, and it just made me think about how Toriyama's influence is literally all around me. I had never experienced the death of someone whose work I really admire, so it's been heavy on my mind like so many other fans around the world. I'm fortunate enough to live in Aichi where he is from, and I found out that he went to a cafe nearby a lot and drew some artwork for them that I'd love to see in person. I put my Toriyama Robo figure (which now seems to be selling for a lot online even used) on my table and had a toast for him. Can't believe he's gone.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:24 am

Nice to see that seemingly in light of the news, Wikipedia finally updated Toriyama's picture from him sitting kind of less dignified (not like that's an issue, though) like a giddy kid at the SJ American launch TO him in his late 20s smiling wide in a more dignified black and white photo similar to someone like Jack Kirby. I feel like the photo definitely needed an update for such a great icon.

Also, since we haven't yet heard from Sean Schemmel, here's a vid from him where he says something great about Akira Toriyama at around the 53 minute mark: https://youtu.be/lb2PPeWIxcE?si=lzQjuNo4_SFJ54Dt
There was another panel vid I can't for the life of me find where he said something to the effect of "Because Akira Toriyama doodled in the past, all of us are now in this room together and that's the power of art." I've spent an hour and a half looking for it, but I have to go to work so if anyone can find it, I'd appreciate that but I PROMISE Schemmel said that at a panel once.

Anyway, I think this is it for me discussing this anymore (unless someone finds that panel of Schemmel talking about Toriyama). I've said more than enough and I think everyone echoes my sentiments and has expanded on them in many cases. Time to move forward.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:57 am

Seeing news of thousands of fans from Argentina and Chile in their respective public squares paying their respects to Toriyama fills me with joy.

I read a trivia that the chants when Gogeta was fighting Broly were a reference to the Universe Survival arc finale reactions that went viral at that time.

Hope it's true. I like to think that Toriyama passed away knowing how much the series had impact here in Latin America.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:29 pm

Toriyama's (likely) final published words from December 2023, translated by Herms. Warning: the final paragraph where he acknowledges his failing health is... well, a tearjerker, to put it lightly.

The bright side is that he worked on the entire story for Daima, so that's a swan song I'll be sure to catch.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:22 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:29 pm Toriyama's (likely) final published words from December 2023, translated by Herms. Warning: the final paragraph where he acknowledges his failing health is... well, a tearjerker, to put it lightly.

The bright side is that he worked on the entire story for Daima, so that's a swan song I'll be sure to catch.
Wow. Considering how private Toriyama was, him publicly suggesting that he might not have much time left due to poor health is very telling, especially considering he made this statement only a little over 2 months out from his death.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:04 pm

Very sad to hear Toriyama felt he didn't have much time left, but definitely more intrigued by Daima now that we know he wrote the whole story. Watching it is going to hit differently now, seeing it as a sort of epilogue but let's hope Toriyama ended on a high.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:22 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:29 pm Toriyama's (likely) final published words from December 2023, translated by Herms. Warning: the final paragraph where he acknowledges his failing health is... well, a tearjerker, to put it lightly.

Thanks, because I haven't cried enough yet!!

Unless it is outright stated by the powers that be, it's likely we'll never know where Toriyama's contribution truly ends. For all we know, he had a vision for something beyond Daima (his involvement in "numerous undertakings" at the time of his passing was noted--which could obviously mean anything, Dragon Ball or not), but I'm honestly okay with never knowing where that line is. I don't know if I could handle sitting down and watching what I know to be his final contribution to the series. That's heavy, man. Fuck.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:08 pm

Son Goku sings "Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku" (AI) as a tribute for his father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asQd-Tu_ThA
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:10 pm

Trouser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:08 pm Son Goku sings "Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku" (AI) as a tribute for his father.

Celebrating an artist by using AI is really...not a great idea.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:34 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:10 pm
Trouser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:08 pm Son Goku sings "Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku" (AI) as a tribute for his father.

Celebrating an artist by using AI is really...not a great idea.
It is in poor taste, I agree. Gotta love the internet, where the tactless and the tasteless coalesce into a tsunami of "what the fuck"

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:38 pm

What's wrong with it? I'm serious. I'm amazed by the AI's posibilities, but I don't understand. Explain it to me like I'm five years old, please.

Guy's posted his tribute on YouTube meaning no harm.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:43 pm

Trouser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:38 pm What's wrong with it? I'm serious. I'm amazed by the AI's posibilities, but I don't understand. Explain it to me like I'm five years old, please.

AI is a great tool, but to celebrate an artist with AI is like serving McDonalds at the funeral of a master chef.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:50 pm

So I'm hearing now that he was sick for a year before he eventually died? Was that an unrelated illness? Or is it just not even true at all? Because hematomas to my knowledge are not really like a chronic illness.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:01 pm

Innagadadavida wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:43 pm
Trouser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:38 pm What's wrong with it? I'm serious. I'm amazed by the AI's posibilities, but I don't understand. Explain it to me like I'm five years old, please.

AI is a great tool, but to celebrate an artist with AI is like serving McDonalds at the funeral of a master chef.
At least the McDonald's was cooked by a real human being (who is sorely underpaid). AI is just...a mockery of the creation of art forms.

Those that ask a machine that lacks sentience or the ability to recognize an artist to pay tribute to them are making a mistake. We make art because we are human, not because we only care about the end product's perceived quality.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:01 pm

BagetaSama wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:50 pm So I'm hearing now that he was sick for a year before he eventually died? Was that an unrelated illness? Or is it just not even true at all? Because hematomas to my knowledge are not really like a chronic illness.
Hematomas aren't a chronic illness, in this case the hematoma was seemingly caused by surgery to remove a brain tumor. Unknown whether the tumor was cancerous or benign.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:38 pm

AI could throw away many people's jobs. Many people will have no jobs or be forced to work at places that they don't like. Conservatives are like "Art is not a real job. Get over it". If AI was used to replace farmers, coal miners, construction workers, and fossil fuel workers, you will probably see a bigger push against AI because people view them as job that support society :roll: . That's all I can without going too off topic.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/