Fuji TV apparantly Fuji TV has Dragon Ball TV anime masters still. Could a remaster be on the way in a few years?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Fuji TV apparantly Fuji TV has Dragon Ball TV anime masters still. Could a remaster be on the way in a few years?

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:36 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:40 pm Toei is cringe unlike most everyone else operating since the 80's, especially considering that they don't do anything with even the good material they actually do still have (not to talk of some other establishment or individual).
So the pessimistic view is the only possible one that will manifest in reality.
What other good material is that?

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Fuji TV apparantly Fuji TV has Dragon Ball TV anime masters still. Could a remaster be on the way in a few years?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:36 am What other good material is that?
It was mentioned on here that for GT, they didn't throw away their master tapes, and yet they still put out a subpar release on its Dragon Boxes.
Far as a non-DB example, they also made Cutie Honey Flash (apparently their last Cel animated series)... in 1997... and yet there's no good material for that out there on releases (even though they seemed to have updated some of their faculties by that time).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:36 am What other good material is that?
It was mentioned on here that for GT, they didn't throw away their master tapes, and yet they still put out a subpar release on its Dragon Boxes.
Far as a non-DB example, they also made Cutie Honey Flash (apparently their last Cel animated series)... in 1997... and yet there's no good material for that out there on releases (even though they seemed to have updated some of their faculties by that time).
Edit: DBGT the TV anime is on film, but the TV special isn't. The audio from the film is crap. Are you referring to audio when you say it's a sub par release because I think the video is okay on the Dragon Boxes? The example of Cutie Honey Flash is not too relevant because it's far away from the hit Dragon Ball has been. Why would they remaster that properly?
Last edited by sangofe on Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:54 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 am
GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am DBGT wasn't stored on film as far as I know. Did you see the DBGT Dragon boxes yourself? Are you referring to audio when you say it's a sub par release? The example of Cutie Honey Flash is not too relevant because it's far away from the hit Dragon Ball has been. Why would they remaster that properly?
DBGT Still exist on 16mm films, dbox sources are 16mm films including GT (GT TVSP 16mm film is lost)
I don't know if Toei allways have GT master tape, basically we just don't know anything about what Toei allways own

Did we know who made the "remaster" that air on animax and BS FUJi, tokyo mx etc that air with master audio? The fact is that it's not 1:1 dbox version
1 - it have master audio
2 - NEP are reverted to their original place
3 - unfinished opening for episode 1 2 3 is there where it wasn't there on dbox
and i'm pretty sure there is other stuffs i didn't even noticed

Everyone claim that Toei allways have master tape cause nowadays, tv channels air dbgt with master audios but who said that it was provided by Toei?

I know that Animax back in 2003 aired dbgt with master audio , old footage (so original footage) and everything was cinetape audio BUT
nowadays animax (even if they stopped airing dbz,db,gt for a while) use the remastered footage also aired on tokyo MX, bs fuji, fuji two etc

Someone told me and he was right that dbgt episode 42 (or around) in this remaster don't use master audio for one NEP (even if it was there in the 2003 airing on animax) in the original airing, this nep didn't aired cause it was replaced by GT TVSP one SO i think that Toei have nothing to do with the use of the master audio in tv airings, else it would have also use master audio for this NEP nowadays but maybe, a tv channel synced the audio they had on the new footage specially for the airing
it's something perfectly possible

i also found curious that japanese tv channel use dbox footage for db and gt but z allways use the old master footage
about fuji tv still having the broadcast master, maybe they were searching about thoses tapes since a long time and finally found some of them. who know but i'm pretty sure that there is low hope to see the whole things properly from master tape anymore

Toei don't care about what they sell, they lie (like the green tint on super hero being "intentionnal") etc so why would they do something they never do before? db is 500+ episode show, low cost release sold well, why bother?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 am

Joujou wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:54 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 am
GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am DBGT wasn't stored on film as far as I know. Did you see the DBGT Dragon boxes yourself? Are you referring to audio when you say it's a sub par release? The example of Cutie Honey Flash is not too relevant because it's far away from the hit Dragon Ball has been. Why would they remaster that properly?
DBGT Still exist on 16mm films, dbox sources are 16mm films including GT (GT TVSP 16mm film is lost)
I don't know if Toei allways have GT master tape, basically we just don't know anything about what Toei allways own

Did we know who made the "remaster" that air on animax and BS FUJi, tokyo mx etc that air with master audio? The fact is that it's not 1:1 dbox version
1 - it have master audio
2 - NEP are reverted to their original place
3 - unfinished opening for episode 1 2 3 is there where it wasn't there on dbox
and i'm pretty sure there is other stuffs i didn't even noticed

Everyone claim that Toei allways have master tape cause nowadays, tv channels air dbgt with master audios but who said that it was provided by Toei?

I know that Animax back in 2003 aired dbgt with master audio , old footage (so original footage) and everything was cinetape audio BUT
nowadays animax (even if they stopped airing dbz,db,gt for a while) use the remastered footage also aired on tokyo MX, bs fuji, fuji two etc

Someone told me and he was right that dbgt episode 42 (or around) in this remaster don't use master audio for one NEP (even if it was there in the 2003 airing on animax) in the original airing, this nep didn't aired cause it was replaced by GT TVSP one SO i think that Toei have nothing to do with the use of the master audio in tv airings, else it would have also use master audio for this NEP nowadays but maybe, a tv channel synced the audio they had on the new footage specially for the airing
it's something perfectly possible

i also found curious that japanese tv channel use dbox footage for db and gt but z allways use the old master footage
about fuji tv still having the broadcast master, maybe they were searching about thoses tapes since a long time and finally found some of them. who know but i'm pretty sure that there is low hope to see the whole things properly from master tape anymore

Toei don't care about what they sell, they lie (like the green tint on super hero being "intentionnal") etc so why would they do something they never do before? db is 500+ episode show, low cost release sold well, why bother?
We don't know who made the remasters of the TV specials and that's why my thoughts and hopes started spinning. And unless Toei has a change of heart and think they can capitialize on Toriyama's passing, I think, like you guys, that they won't do a proper remaster. But policy changes in companies can happen; look at AB. Their releases used to be very bad and they didn't care, now they do. I guess I am just a hopeful fan that would drool over a real remaster of the classic Dragon Ball animes and I would pay almost whatever money they'd be asking me. Heck, I bought the Japanese Dragon Boxes when they were coming out in Japan and even paid import fees into Norway. But I realize I am in the minority and that most customers don't care and don't even notice if it's an AI upscale or not...

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:22 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 am We don't know who made the remasters of the TV specials and that's why my thoughts and hopes started spinning. And unless Toei has a change of heart and think they can capitialize on Toriyama's passing, I think, like you guys, that they won't do a proper remaster. But policy changes in companies can happen; look at AB. Their releases used to be very bad and they didn't care, now they do. I guess I am just a hopeful fan that would drool over a real remaster of the classic Dragon Ball animes and I would pay almost whatever money they'd be asking me. Heck, I bought the Japanese Dragon Boxes when they were coming out in Japan and even paid import fees into Norway. But I realize I am in the minority and that most customers don't care and don't even notice if it's an AI upscale or not...
Tv specials remaster were made by Toei for sure (or buyed by Toei)
tvsp1 was made to promote dbs broly as it was shown in theater if i correctly remember with the few other movies that were also shown right before dbs broly movie release. and i think they did tvsp2 only cause they made tvsp1.
The only curious things is why they didn't released them along with movies box ? but i really think it's only because Toei is more focus with online content "netflix, amazon prime" etc than home video market which is not for everyone there

That's not the same thing, AB group leaders are not the main cause why they "change their policies", that's thanks to people like animeguides, matoumalin etc that work inside and are really "fans" that explain why things have changed, thoses guys litteraly are, talked and read social network, i even know they are reading this forum sometimes, they knew everything about broadcast audios, kei17 etc even if someone have talked about it to them before in the first place.

Toei is just a lazy company, dragon ball is a product, it will sold well no matter how trash the release will be cause there will allways be stupid idiot to buy trash like if it was gold. they are just there to make money, don't care about product, a little like TF1 in france, dragon ball is a way to sell products, only for that purpose, they aren't dragon ball fans , it's just business and you can see it in every product they are selling, mostly when it's 16mm stuff (35mm seems to have a better care)
That's why AB could replace video footage and being able to use broadcast audios, they just didn't checked the product that thing show how much love Toei make in their product

Toei didn't change, they recently released space pirate captain harlock which was the same usual trash they are providing selling at gold price
and i've seen some people tweeting about other show "remaster" being "green shit"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:51 am

Joujou wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:54 am DBGT Still exist on 16mm films, dbox sources are 16mm films including GT (GT TVSP 16mm film is lost)
The weird thing with GT is that unlike original Dragon Ball and Z, TOEI did their own digibeta transfers from the 16mm film prints and sent them to anyone that licensed GT, so unless those film prints still exist it can never get a HD transfer.

TOEI never sent TV stations and distributors digibeta for original Dragon Ball or Z, always film, and these companies that received those film prints did their own transfers to digibeta.

That's why the colours vary across different international releases of those first 2 series. Funimation's DVD singles and season sets for the first 2 series look different from the Dragon Boxes because they were different transfers. Funimation's GT singles look very similar to the Dragon Boxes because they used the same transfer, although I believe Funimation did a slight cleanup.

For some reason the GT special never got a transfer from film, so I fear TOEI may have lost the original prints. Every TV airing, home release and stream of the special is taken from the master videotape used during its original broadcast on Fuji TV in 1997.

I know Kineko Video finds film prints and shares them, they did this recently with Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle, I'd hope wherever the film for the GT special is it will one day end up in their hands, because otherwise there's no way it can ever look any better.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 am Edit: DBGT the TV anime is on film, but the TV special isn't. The audio from the film is crap. Are you referring to audio when you say it's a sub par release because I think the video is okay on the Dragon Boxes? The example of Cutie Honey Flash is not too relevant because it's far away from the hit Dragon Ball has been. Why would they remaster that properly?
The audio specifically.

Reason I brought that up though is to drive a point home, since their treatment of their hit series (on 16mm) has for the most part really been no different, and it probably has nothing to do with the time they were made in. Plus, tons of anime from back then that were far away from the hit that DB was (provided they're not made by Toei) have been and are being remastered without issue. They simply don't care for the process at all.