Is Dragon Ball SD worth to buy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Is Dragon Ball SD worth to buy?

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:25 pm

I'm wondering whether or not to spend money on Dragon Ball SD by Naho Ooishi since it's being released in France. Has anyone read a considerate amount of the 9 volumes that are out and could comment on it?

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Dragon Ball SD worth to buy?

Post by Dragon ball master » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pm

If you like dragon Ball with some what if and some references to Z with some changes then SD might be for you the wiki says that it's a kids manga but they keep some outfits that might not be appropriate for kids but they also changed some things like krilln not dieing but freeza and namic not exploding.
It's klike an dragon ball good ending

But After looking through the prices, it's the same as in regular volume. So I recommend not because it's basically just toned down Dragon ball Manga for for the same price The original uncut manga

But if you still want to read it, then it might be on internet archive but I'm sure.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:51 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pm If you like dragon Ball with some what if and some references to Z with some changes then SD might be for you the wiki says that it's a kids manga but they keep some outfits that might not be appropriate for kids but they also changed some things like krilln not dieing but freeza and namic not exploding.

But After looking through the prices, it's the same as in regular volume. So I recommend not because it's basically just toned down Dragon ball Manga for for the same price The original uncut manga

But if you still want to read it, then it might be on internet archive but I'm sure.
I does seem like you have not read it yourself. Am I right in thinking that with your reply?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:09 pm

I've read it a bit off and on, and... it's really just Dragon Ball with different art and the occasional minor change. Extremely uninteresting and pointless in general.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:41 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pm If you like dragon Ball with some what if and some references to Z with some changes then SD might be for you the wiki says that it's a kids manga but they keep some outfits that might not be appropriate for kids but they also changed some things like krilln not dieing but freeza and namic not exploding.

Be careful of wikis, many of them are flooded with misinformation.

I also wouldn't judge Dragon Ball SD by random complaints people have thrown at it online. Unless your reading a review by a critic you trust its best to read it for yourself and come to your own conclusions, and assuming some streaming apps have it you may not need to invest in buying the printed volumes right away.

For the record I haven't read Dragon Ball SD, so I can't consider myself an authority on it, nor should anyone else in my position.

On a cursory look though it seems like a fun little re-imagining of Dragon Ball, but the fact it aims at a younger audience shouldn't deter anyone because at the end of the day all this supplemental material also appeals to hardcore fans who like to consume anything Dragon Ball (that includes myself and no doubt many others here) so I may one day try it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:58 pm

After reading this post a will read some chapters online to see how good it is

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:33 pm

Adamant wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:09 pm I've read it a bit off and on, and... it's really just Dragon Ball with different art and the occasional minor change. Extremely uninteresting and pointless in general.
It's not funny either?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:31 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:33 pm
Adamant wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:09 pm I've read it a bit off and on, and... it's really just Dragon Ball with different art and the occasional minor change. Extremely uninteresting and pointless in general.
It's not funny either?
It's a retelling, not a parody, so it doesn't attempt to be any funnier than the original material it's retelling was.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:09 am

Adamant wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:31 pm
sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:33 pm
It's not funny either?
It's a retelling, not a parody, so it doesn't attempt to be any funnier than the original material it's retelling was.
Oh. I heard on youtube it had funny elements and changes but I guess they are few.

Vectur123

Post by Vectur123 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:58 am

I've read some chapters, it's a retelling that have some jokes, including referencing DBZ and DBS sometimes in the early arcs, like you said i recommend reading some chapters online and see if you like it.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:23 am

I have the first few volumes and I like it. I's sort of a retelling with winks to future events, done in a cool art style and in full color nonetheless.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:42 am

Haven't they like... Adapted the whole series by now? Where is it up to?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:28 am

TobyS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:42 am Haven't they like... Adapted the whole series by now? Where is it up to?
https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1576.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hN6Hj ... D%E3%83%AB
Jord wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:23 am I have the first few volumes and I like it. I's sort of a retelling with winks to future events, done in a cool art style and in full color nonetheless.
Kinda wish Naho Ooshi gets to try out drawing new Dragon Ball content but seing how long it has gotten to get to the android saga that probably wouldn't be for a long time. Wonder how her storytelling and art style would be if she had to do as much as Toyotaro.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:28 am
TobyS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:42 am Haven't they like... Adapted the whole series by now? Where is it up to?
Jord wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:23 am I have the first few volumes and I like it. I's sort of a retelling with winks to future events, done in a cool art style and in full color nonetheless.
Kinda wish Naho Ooshi gets to try out drawing new Dragon Ball content but seing how long it has gotten to get to the android saga that probably wouldn't be for a long time. Wonder how her storytelling and art style would be if she had to do as much as Toyotaro.
Completely agree. She has a knack for replicating Toriyama's but giving it her own flair.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:41 am

Jord wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 am
sangofe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:28 am
Completely agree. She has a knack for replicating Toriyama's but giving it her own flair.
The question is though: how well would her art be if she was under time pressure? It doesn't seem like she is with Dragon Ball SD.