Did toonami use the OG dragon ball dub opening

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Did toonami use the OG dragon ball dub opening

Post by Dragon ball master » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:24 am

I wanted to know if toonami in the 2000s used the dub opening in any episodes because in old vhs rips they just cut to the last episode recap. So did they used it in any episodes like early episodes during the plaf saga.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Did toonami use the OG dragon ball dub opening

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:49 am

Nope. Like all their shows they removed the opening in favor of their own custom opening which was just random clips of the show with generic ambient music

https://youtu.be/M2dd16pBW2w?si=802KTgBkIrYGZP6O

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:18 am

Toonami didn’t but when they revived Toonami into the a Saturday night block called SVES or something (before the real revival of Toonami) they aired the opening. That was the first time I saw it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:54 am

Although it's not specified I am going to guess this question is referring to Toonami US, as we need to keep in mind there was the Toonami UK channel that aired original Dragon Ball exclusively with the dub OP between 2003 and 2005.

It was the Blue Water OPs (both UK and Canadian variants) this channel aired though not the Funimation ones.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:09 pm

NeoKING wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:18 am a Saturday night block called SVES or something they aired the opening. That was the first time I saw it.
Looks like it's a case of lost media the only dragon ball thing I found was dbz at 11:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SjThHlRUOA
9:06 dbz up next at 11:30
Do you have anymore information about the block.

Vidsigma

Post by Vidsigma » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:43 pm

NeoKING wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:18 am Toonami didn’t but when they revived Toonami into the a Saturday night block called SVES or something (before the real revival of Toonami) they aired the opening. That was the first time I saw it.
I just want to note that Toonami and SVES were on the air at the same time. Toonami was on weekdays while SVES was, as the name suggests, on Saturday. Toonami would eventually move to Saturday, replacing SVES, before Cartoon Network ended the block in 2008.
Dragon ball master wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:09 pm Looks like it's a case of lost media the only dragon ball thing I found was dbz at 11:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SjThHlRUOA
9:06 dbz up next at 11:30
Do you have anymore information about the block.
There's unfortunately not many promos or bumpers from when the block was around. I did find this though, and Dragon Ball is featured in the promo. There's a page for it on the Toonami wiki which is loaded with schedules, though the validity of said schedules I'm unsure of.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:42 am