Godzilla Evolved was inspired by Goku

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Godzilla Evolved was inspired by Goku

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:29 pm

So in the 5th Monsterverse film, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, Godzilla has evolved into a powerful new form during the course of the movie, as you can see here:

A lot of people made jokes about how this is "Godzilla Rosé" due to the pink colouration.

The creature designer for him and most of the rest of the film, Jared Krichevsky, held a Twitter AMA (sadly deleted now, but images and articles have archived its contents like here: https://www.ign.com/articles/godzillas- ... gon-ball-z) where a fan asked if Godzilla Evolved was inspired by Goku Black's godly form.

Turns out it wasn't, BUT it was inspired Kaio-ken!

A neat bit of Dragon Ball inspiration for one of Japan's other major character IPs.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Godzilla Evolved was inspired by Goku

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:38 pm

That's cool. I haven't followed the Monsterverse (the bits and pieces that I have seen have bored me death, and I'm currently writing this post from Kaiou-sama's planet), but it's neat to see a slight Kaiou-ken reference in a major film. I'm curious how the new form works? Judging by the trailer it looks like Godzilla remains in that form for the entire film, rather than in moments of need mid-battle?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:38 pm That's cool. I haven't followed the Monsterverse (the bits and pieces that I have seen have bored me death, and I'm currently writing this post from Kaiou-sama's planet), but it's neat to see a slight Kaiou-ken reference in a major film. I'm curious how the new form works? Judging by the trailer it looks like Godzilla remains in that form for the entire film, rather than in moments of need mid-battle?
Yeah, he changes into it mid-way through the film as his form from that point on.

Jared Krichevsky also states that this form wasn't fully finished before he left his icy hibernation, hence why Godzilla looks a bit thinner than normal.

And anyways, the Monsterverse is a lot of fun! I highly recommend it, if mainly because it's the primary international giant monster movie franchise that's still ongoing.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:34 pm

I might give the Monsterverse another shake. I've had my kaiju needs fulfilled by Shin Ultraman, Shin Gojira, and Gojira Minus One lately, but KotM and the VS films might be interesting.

If the form isn't complete then I'm curious how it's going to look in the next film lol.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:36 am

There's also the Neftlix animated show (Skull Island) and the Apple TV+ series (Monarch: Legacy of Monsters), in addition to several comics.

Also, related to the original post, there's a brief little bit in the film itself where Monarch is getting readings on Godzilla's new Evolved state.

It has a 20x energy capacity compared to normal, which I imagine is also a reference to the Kaio-ken.