Would a complete DBZ English redub be necessary?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TechExpert2021

Would a complete DBZ English redub be necessary?

Post by TechExpert2021 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:55 pm

Let's say Toei took away the US rights of Dragon Ball Z from Funimation and decided to give the US DBZ license to a superior anime dubbing company like Viz Media. If this ever happened, I, along with purist DBZ fans, want a complete DBZ English redub that is:

- Based on the original Japanese version, much like the Latin American Spanish dub;
- Completely faithful to the Japanese source material in terms of dialogue, script, and accuracy;
- Completely uncensored;
- Retains all the wuxia the original Japanese version had;
- Uses proper translations of character names;
- Uses the original Japanese names for all the attacks, effectively retiring the use of English attack names;
- Does not use unnecessary soundtrack replacements;
- Does not make unnecessary changes to the dialogue and script, affecting its accuracy to the original Japanese version; and
- It is targeted towards fans who hate the FUNimation dub of DBZ and want an accurate uncut dub covering the entirety of DBZ (including all filler).

For character names, the dub should use these names along with some already proper English translations of some character names (e.g. Son Goku, Son Gohan, Vegeta, Trunks, Nappa, Chichi, Mr. Satan, etc.):
- "Paikuhan" instead of "Pikkon"
- "Tenshinhan" instead of "Tien Shinhan"
- "Kuririn" instead of "Krillin"
- "Freeza" instead of "Frieza"
- "Coola" instead of "Cooler"
- "Grand Elder" instead of "Guru"
- "Turtle Hermit" instead of "Master Roshi"
- "Piccoro" instead of "Piccolo"
- "Artificial Humans" instead of "Androids" (potential lawsuit from Google?)
- "Majin Boo" instead of "Majin Buu" ("Majin Buu" is a transliteration of his Japanese name)
- "Bobbidi" instead of "Badidi" ("Babidi" is a transliteration of his Japanese name)
- "Bibbidi" instead of "Bibidi" ("Bibidi" is a transliteration of his Japanese name)
- "Destruction Prince Vegeta" instead of "Majin Vegeta" (translated from "Hakaiooji Vegeta" (破壊王子ベジータ); I'm not sure the "Majin Vegeta" name is ever used in the Japanese version of DBZ)

For attack names, the dub should use these names along with some already proper translations of some attack names (e.g. Kamehameha, Masenko (do not add the "Ha" at the end), Makosen (again, no "Ha" at the end)):
- "Makankosappo" instead of "Special Beam Cannon";
- "Kikoho" instead of "Tri-Beam" (even Tenshinhan can do it with one hand, so the English name doesn't make sense)
- "Kienzan" instead of "Destructo Disc"
- "Taiyoken" instead of "Solar Flare"
- "Genki-dama" instead of "Spirit Bomb"

This redub will put FUNi's Z dub (along with other DBZ English dubs) straight into the dumpster.

What do you guys think? It is necessary or unnecessary to have a DBZ dub like this? Do my suggested dub names of several characters and attacks completely deviate from Funimation's dub names? Will this dub give DBZ "the Japanese identity" in America?

UPDATE (4/15/2024): I thought I missed some names to put in so I decided to add those names.
Last edited by TechExpert2021 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Re: Would a complete DBZ English redub be necessary?

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:24 pm

TechExpert2021 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:55 pm Let's say Toei took away the US rights of Dragon Ball Z from Funimation and decided to give the US DBZ license to a superior anime dubbing company like Viz Media. If this ever happened, I, along with purist DBZ fans, want a complete DBZ English redub that is:

[...]

What do you guys think? It is necessary or unnecessary to have a DBZ dub like this? Do my suggested dub names of several characters and attacks completely deviate from Funimation's dub names? Will this dub give DBZ "the Japanese identity" in America?
Something similar happened with Sailor Moon. However, while I will defend that Sailor Moon needed a redub, Dragon Ball Z (the original) doesn't need one, for three reasons:

The first one is, Kai already exists.

The second one is, even with the clumsy retcons and character changes, 98% of the show's viewing experience is exactly the same as it is in Japanese (I watched both). Even Funimation's worst sins while translating DBZ back then, such as changing Goku into Superman, toning down Vegeta's tendencies, or changing Yamcha into a cheater from the get-go have little impact on the story itself. Goku will still engage in stupid "Saiyan" behavior regardless of what the voice actors are telling us. Actions often mean more than words, and it's a good thing from a writer's perspective too, "Show, don't tell."

This isn't like Sailor Moon where characters swapped genders, had relationships and subplots completely erased, entire episodes and scenes cut from the final product, the entire finale of the first season euthanized, the final season never dubbed and broadcast in the English-speaking countries, and the entire original soundtrack replaced with generic synth music. Granted, DBZ did that too, but it also has releases with every single episode dubbed and the original soundtrack intact, something Sailor Moon never got.

The third one is, I think at this point, trying to redub the entire series to be more true to the Japanese version will just generate more confusion rather than help. The English Dubbisms are already far too ingrained in the fandom's culture for whoever to be translating it now to just toss away. Even with dubs that weren't handled by Funimation, they still tried to follow in their footsteps and some even received help from them to keep things consistent.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:30 pm

This thread topic seems familiar.... and not just that it's likely been retreaded numerous times since probably back to when all the mistakes were first made, but that I made a sort of similar thread a couple of months back upon realizing the monkey's paw situation the IP is in on a lot of different fronts.
(The recent news everyone heard and all the tribute in its wake made me rethink that topic though.)

Beyond being necessary or not, aren't all the mistakes a little too entrenched within not just the fandom, but the IP itself to some extent, to reverse course on? Even if they were to be fixed with this approach.
Although I guess the key thing is that Crunchyroll post-Funimation merger would no longer have that license, since they've still used it in improper ways (home releases) till this day. That's at least always worth the prospect.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:34 pm

I don’t see a redub being needed or warranted and if it were to happen, I don’t see it being a success. The redub with Sailor Moon was a very different circumstance. The original dub never made it to the end of the series as the entire last season (Sailor Stars) was left unavailable in English. The dub had skipped over several full episodes, cut a ton of content out and had no uncut version available in any form. The Viz redub of Sailor Moon was a necessity in many ways but this is is not.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:39 pm

I think the thing people need to realize is a redub is never going to happen. Ever. Even if Crunchyroll lost the license to Viz or Toei's USA branch or Disckotek the company would just use the already existing and popular Funimation dub.

Sailor Moon got a redub out of necessity. The old dub skipped 6 episodes, merged the final two episodes of s1 into a single episode, only released the first two seasons in edited for network television format and never dubbed the final season. In order to do a complete bilingual release a redub had to happen (technically the third and fourth season and the movies had an uncut dub but at the point might as well redub the whole thing) Aside from a couple OVAs CrunchyMation has pretty much dubbed all of Dragon Ball "uncut" and it's super popular and well liked. Because nostalgia but it doesn't change anything. There is no financial incentive to redub the like 600 episodes and 22 movies

ETA: Ninja'd by TVFan but exactly what they said

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:45 pm

To cite another example, Saint Seiya getting one by Netflix only worked because the series never took off in the US to begin with.
If the reduced Ocean-era production was all there was, and it led to similar results (impossible, even re-runs couldn't kill it), that might have been the case too (provided some other company was able to gain the license then).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:30 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:39 pm I think the thing people need to realize is a redub is never going to happen. Ever. Even if Crunchyroll lost the license to Viz or Toei's USA branch or Disckotek the company would just use the already existing and popular Funimation dub.

Sailor Moon got a redub out of necessity. The old dub skipped 6 episodes, merged the final two episodes of s1 into a single episode, only released the first two seasons in edited for network television format and never dubbed the final season. In order to do a complete bilingual release a redub had to happen (technically the third and fourth season and the movies had an uncut dub but at the point might as well redub the whole thing) Aside from a couple OVAs CrunchyMation has pretty much dubbed all of Dragon Ball "uncut" and it's super popular and well liked. Because nostalgia but it doesn't change anything. There is no financial incentive to redub the like 600 episodes and 22 movies

Sailor Moon probably also had content edited for time & on top of that some inconsistent main actors & they never dubbed season 5, as well as the DiC dub making Uranus & Neptune cousins, but also leaving in the homoerotic scenes from the original complete with the original music in that made people think they were in an incestuous relationship. On top of that, they were also gonna dub Crystal into English. The 90s dub had also been long out of circulation for a good decade by the point, so not a lot of people but those who grew up with it actually cared that they didn't include the 90s dub on the discs. Even then, I'm sure there are fan restorations that have edited the Viz Blu-Ray footage to the audio from the 90s dub similar to how people have edited the DBZ Dragon Box footage to the Ocean dub audio.

I also think that even if any other company DID get the rights & redub the series, they'd just use the FUNi cast anyways, so it's only redubbing DB, Z, GT (508 episodes), the TV specials (3) the first 17 movies (DB's 4 & Z's 13). IMO, the time for redubbing the episodes & movies with more faithful scripts would've been 20 years ago when they were polishing up the old Z dub for the Ultimate Uncut DVDs (later the Orange Bricks).
Speaking more generally to the original post, that's never gonna happen with terms or names being reverted to their original Japanese ones in the English dubs unless Toei makes a concerted effort to force the dub team to do it. Kai's dub initially had several attack names (Special Beam Cannon, Destructo Disk, Solar Flare, & Tri Beam from what I know) reverted to the original Japanese ones in the first 2 arcs, but later renegged on that decision for some reason afterrwards. The games, however, still used the English ones & still do. Hell, even Toei's subs for Super that they gave to Crunchyroll to use used the English names, so they don't care about using the proper names at this point. IF they were to redub everything with more faithful scripts, expect them to use the English dub terminologies like Kai, the last 4 movies, & Super did.
On top of that, why would they use the Japanese pronunciations of Piccolo, Erasa, etc? Those are English words that Toriyama took as pun names for his characters. I mean, Sharpner ("Shaapna") is literally the word "sharpener," the Saiyan names are vegetable puns, Bulma's family's names are puns on clothes, etc. Would you expect them to pronounce Trunks as "torunkusu"? That's pretty dumb. Also, in Japanese, Freeza's name is "Freeza"/"Fureeza." His family's names are literally puns on cold things. Why would they make it "freezer" if it's a pun & the difference is the "a" on the end? The illogic of the original post at points baffles me.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:50 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:30 pm On top of that, why would they use the Japanese pronunciations of Piccolo, Erasa, etc? Those are English words that Toriyama took as pun names for his characters. I mean, Sharpner ("Shaapna") is literally the word "sharpener," the Saiyan names are vegetable puns, Bulma's family's names are puns on clothes, etc. Would you expect them to pronounce Trunks as "torunkusu"? That's pretty dumb. Also, in Japanese, Freeza's name is "Freeza"/"Fureeza." His family's names are literally puns on cold things. Why would they make it "freezer" if it's a pun & the difference is the "a" on the end? The illogic of the original post at points baffles me.
And it's precisely this sort of thing that harms this side of the issue a lot. When its advocates have little to no idea just what it is they're talking about either.
There were some older, now defunct sites that had a similar stance, but clearly didn't do their homework when it came to their transliteration/romanization/translation lists. How do they want anyone to take them seriously if they slip up so badly?

TechExpert2021

Post by TechExpert2021 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:01 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:30 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:39 pm I think the thing people need to realize is a redub is never going to happen. Ever. Even if Crunchyroll lost the license to Viz or Toei's USA branch or Disckotek the company would just use the already existing and popular Funimation dub.

Sailor Moon probably also had content edited for time & on top of that some inconsistent main actors & they never dubbed season 5, as well as the DiC dub making Uranus & Neptune cousins, but also leaving in the homoerotic scenes from the original complete with the original music in that made people think they were in an incestuous relationship. On top of that, they were also gonna dub Crystal into English. The 90s dub had also been long out of circulation for a good decade by the point, so not a lot of people but those who grew up with it actually cared that they didn't include the 90s dub on the discs. Even then, I'm sure there are fan restorations that have edited the Viz Blu-Ray footage to the audio from the 90s dub similar to how people have edited the DBZ Dragon Box footage to the Ocean dub audio.

I also think that even if any other company DID get the rights & redub the series, they'd just use the FUNi cast anyways, so it's only redubbing DB, Z, GT (508 episodes), the TV specials (3) the first 17 movies (DB's 4 & Z's 13). IMO, the time for redubbing the episodes & movies with more faithful scripts would've been 20 years ago when they were polishing up the old Z dub for the Ultimate Uncut DVDs (later the Orange Bricks).
Speaking more generally to the original post, that's never gonna happen with terms or names being reverted to their original Japanese ones in the English dubs unless Toei makes a concerted effort to force the dub team to do it. Kai's dub initially had several attack names (Special Beam Cannon, Destructo Disk, Solar Flare, & Tri Beam from what I know) reverted to the original Japanese ones in the first 2 arcs, but later renegged on that decision for some reason afterrwards. The games, however, still used the English ones & still do. Hell, even Toei's subs for Super that they gave to Crunchyroll to use used the English names, so they don't care about using the proper names at this point. IF they were to redub everything with more faithful scripts, expect them to use the English dub terminologies like Kai, the last 4 movies, & Super did.
On top of that, why would they use the Japanese pronunciations of Piccolo, Erasa, etc? Those are English words that Toriyama took as pun names for his characters. I mean, Sharpner ("Shaapna") is literally the word "sharpener," the Saiyan names are vegetable puns, Bulma's family's names are puns on clothes, etc. Would you expect them to pronounce Trunks as "torunkusu"? That's pretty dumb. Also, in Japanese, Freeza's name is "Freeza"/"Fureeza." His family's names are literally puns on cold things. Why would they make it "freezer" if it's a pun & the difference is the "a" on the end? The illogic of the original post at points baffles me.
Honestly, no. Because the word "trunks" is an English name, pronouncing it in the Japanese way would sound completely weird and dumb to me.

The Latin American Spanish dub (as well as the French dub) of DBZ calls Frieza "Freezer". For the other names, there is in-anime text (such as on banners used by the Tenkaichi Budokai audience) that spells the characters' names in English but often incorrectly (e.g. "Beedel" instead of "Videl", "Piccoro" instead of "Piccolo"). However, some are spelled correctly in English (e.g. Mr. Satan). But overall, you're right on this.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:01 am

TechExpert2021 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:01 pm ]

Honestly, no. Because the word "trunks" is an English name, pronouncing it in the Japanese way would sound completely weird and dumb to me.

Like calling Piccolo "Piccoro"

And it's gonna blow your mind when I tell you what Videl is anagram of and why calling her "Beedel" ruins it

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:33 am

It wouldn't be necessary, because, as stated unlike the Sailor Moon example Dragon Ball Z has a complete, uncut English dub. Even with its flaws it satisfies what the vast majority of fans want in an English dub, that much is clear because its so adamantly defended to this day.

TOEI are not going to revoke Crunchyroll's license, from a business perspective there's absolutely no reason to do so when it makes them so much money. No one in that line of work will see artistic reasons like creating a better dub as a justification for that as in their minds it will only please a loud minority. For better or for worse all their concerned about is the bottom line.

There's no reason any executive would see an improved English dub that panders to Japanese purists using terms like Begita, Paikuhan, Kuririn, Piccoro, etc as a worthwhile investment, from their perspective most fans who want that will just watch the Japanese version, which they wouldn't be wrong about. It would also cause immense backlash from the majority of fans who again are content with the Funimation dub that's been sold to them for decades, and any company that tries to replace that with a dub catering to fans that hate it would just be seen as needlessly spiteful, potentially by both dub and sub fans alike. We can only look to Rian Johnson for daring to do something unique, respectful and ambitious with Star Wars only to be seen as the antichrist by many fans, and that's a best case scenario of a movie that made $1.3 billion and was critically well received. I'm a Last Jedi defender but its clear as day that movie divided the fanbase, and it didn't even take away the beloved movies that came before it, this dub by putting the original Z dub out of circulation is only bound to cause an even worse rift within the Dragon Ball fandom. Not only would you be alienating the largest segment of your customer base by taking away the cast and performances they love but this hypothetical new perfect, ultra faithful English dub would inevitably just be seen by them as some pretentious weeb serving purist product. Hell even Kai was seen this way by some fans despite not going all the way and backtracking on terms like Makankōsappō and Kienzan later on. The Kai dub also largely satisfies the demand for a faithful English dub, and its existence makes the demand for an even more accurate dub of Dragon Ball Z even smaller. Why has Funimation consistently refused to include the more faithful, better acted and produced uncut Pioneer dubs of Z movies 1-3 since the original singles despite wholly owning them? Because most fans think the redub is "good enough".

Best case scenario is every now and then we'll see fun little novelties like the Bang Zoom dub of Super, which contains some revised terminology like Shenlong, Ocean Kai if it ever comes using Naw-Mek, but there's a reason the former doesn't use the correct pronunciation for Saiyan and the latter almost certainly doesn't considering ADR director Karl Willems response when asked that question. These things are too iconic and long accepted by English speaking fans.

So no its not necessary and its not going to happen because large corporations have no interest in idealistic artistic visions, especially if there's no reason to suspect there's any financial benefit to it, quite the contrary all things considered.
I could see Discotek releasing some of the alternate English dubs like Westwood, Blue Water, etc. They are more of a fan-focused company and go out of their way to acquire rarer dubs. I believe their Lupin the 3rd Mystery of Mamo Blu-Ray contains 4 different English dubs. They even managed to release Wicked City with both the Streamline dub and the Manga UK dub whereas Manga UK's release, ironically, only contained the former.

They would probably release the Funimation dub for the majority of fans who want it though, likely also the pre-remastered dub because there's fans that want that and most fans who buy Funimation's releases generally won't notice a difference between it and the remastered dub anyway. They definitely wouldn't produce their own dub though as a small company like them would certainly not have the budget for it, but I'd trust them to do good, interesting releases that cater to more than just the mass market and wouldn't be cropped or DNRed to death.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:55 am

Not only is it not nesscarey. It will never happen. Companies want to make money. Not spend money on something that will not even give back the costs of what it costs to produce.

TechExpert2021

Post by TechExpert2021 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:13 pm

All of you are right about this. A DBZ English redub will never happen at all, even if fans hated FUNi's 1999-2003 DBZ dub. It is like turning a blind eye to dub fans when making a DBZ English dub that panders to purists of the original Japanese version of DBZ. I'll never consider a DBZ English redub ever again.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:42 pm

I think anyone who is hoping for this pipe dream should look to the Netflix dub of Evangelion. Its more faithful than the ADV dub in every way, but most people who want that will just watch it in Japanese and most fans who want it dubbed are content with the old ADV dub. There was literally no perceivable benefit to redubbing it even for the minority who care other than there being rights complications with the ADV dub, and that's for 26 episodes, which is obviously far cheaper than 291. When Anime Limited were able to release the ADV dub that was all the people who were interested in watching in English cared about.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:04 pm

And with that, we can probably retire this topic now (at least till the next inevitable time it pops up).
It's a downer for sure, like a whole bunch of other realities in its medium's presentation to the US in particular (such as certain series never even taking off there and by extension in the wider anglosphere, despite all attempts to do so), but that's just the reality of things, and the only one we have to live in.
Making sense of it all in the meantime is probably a better course of action.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:33 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:42 pm I think anyone who is hoping for this pipe dream should look to the Netflix dub of Evangelion. Its more faithful than the ADV dub in every way, but most people who want that will just watch it in Japanese and most fans who want it dubbed are content with the old ADV dub. There was literally no perceivable benefit to redubbing it even for the minority who care other than there being rights complications with the ADV dub, and that's for 26 episodes, which is obviously far cheaper than 291. When Anime Limited were able to release the ADV dub that was all the people who were interested in watching in English cared about.
Actually, no, I agree the situations seem SIMILAR but there is a huge difference. What the Netflix Evangelion does IS NOT BEING FAITHFUL. It is just putting the sub lines with ZERO adaptation onto a dub, which SEEMS more faithful but actually isnt. And Demon Rin, a great user here and Twitter User disected why doing Rei with a robotic emotion sounding EXACTLY like the Japanese is an AWFUL IDEA. Sounding emotionless but adding flair and character is mega important and MUCH harder than people realize. She mentioned the ordeal Michael Ansara had with voicing Mr Freeze in Batman The Animated Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhmHdF643o

Just about EVERYONE can do a neutral sounding emotionless voice but EXTREMELY FEW can make a character that way.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:27 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:33 pm Actually, no, I agree the situations seem SIMILAR but there is a huge difference. What the Netflix Evangelion does IS NOT BEING FAITHFUL. It is just putting the sub lines with ZERO adaptation onto a dub, which SEEMS more faithful but actually isnt. And Demon Rin, a great user here and Twitter User disected why doing Rei with a robotic emotion sounding EXACTLY like the Japanese is an AWFUL IDEA. Sounding emotionless but adding flair and character is mega important and MUCH harder than people realize. She mentioned the ordeal Michael Ansara had with voicing Mr Freeze in Batman The Animated Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhmHdF643o

Just about EVERYONE can do a neutral sounding emotionless voice but EXTREMELY FEW can make a character that way.
Thats fair enough, truth be told I haven't carefully checked the Evangelion subs and the Netflix dub scripts, but if no effort was made to adapt the subs into natural sounding English then that's just sloppy. A dub should not be word-for-word what the translator rendered the Japanese lines as, it should retain the intent and meaning as much as possible while also sounding like a line the character could believably say. I do recall the delivery of lines in the Netflix Evangelion dub sounding off though even if they were accurate.

I still think if the Netflix dub was better produced not enough fans would care. For many fans Spike Spencer is Shinji and they don't want their dub superseded by something better. Likewise I don't think there's as much of a demand for a Dragon Ball Z redub as some of us think.

I've heard so many people saying "I only watch anime subbed, but I just watch Dragon Ball Z dubbed", then you have people who despised the Z dub but like Funimation's dub of Kai and of course theres the fans like the admins of this very site who exclusively watch subbed anime period without exceptions. I just think all three cases limit the number of fans who genuinely want a redub. How many fans who genuinely want a redub would actually be left with all these factors to take into consideration?

Now of course in my wildest dreams I would absolutely love for Ocean to get a chance to redub the entire series uncut ideally with the Vancouver cast, as was the plan originally back when the three Pioneer movies were made, but who would fund such a thing, especially when the chances of making a return on their investment would be slim to none, and this is a cast fans loved, especially between 1996 and 1999 in the US and 2000 to 2003 in the UK. A new cast that never had any exposure has even less of a chance of their dub being seen as a viable business decision.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:47 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:33 am Why has Funimation consistently refused to include the more faithful, better acted and produced uncut Pioneer dubs of Z movies 1-3 since the original singles despite wholly owning them? Because most fans think the redub is "good enough".
This actually reminded me on the Akira 25th anniversary Blu-ray that Funimation released in 2013 they actually included the original Streamline dub and the better received Pioneer/Animaze redub from 2001. And like, yeah, why doesn't Funimation just release the first 3 Z movies with the Ocean dub as an option alongside the Japanese mono and their in-house redub?

I mean, I know WHY, because Funimation wants to make sure people only hear their in-house dub and they have no such favoritism to either Akira dub because they didn't record either of of those dubs. But still even Funimation can do something cool when their biases dont get in the way

I could see Discotek releasing some of the alternate English dubs like Westwood, Blue Water, etc. They are more of a fan-focused company and go out of their way to acquire rarer dubs. I believe their Lupin the 3rd Mystery of Mamo Blu-Ray contains 4 different English dubs. They even managed to release Wicked City with both the Streamline dub and the Manga UK dub whereas Manga UK's release, ironically, only contained the former.
Maybe for the UK and Canada. There would be no real point in releasing the Blue Water and Westwood dubs in the markets that never had them (US, Australia, and New Zealand). Still would be cool for those fans.

They'd probably at least do another Rock the Dragon type release but better

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:44 pm

Even if there hypothetically were to be a full English redub (it won't happen), those name romanizations are not the way to go about it. If you're basing them off of the English spellings in the show, then it feels arbitrary to use something like Piccoro instead of Piccolo, yet not use Kulilin instead of Kuririn, even though the latter appears far more often. Also I'm pretty sure the main problem with Funi's dub isn't the fact that they insert a "Ha!" after "Masenko".

I would be perfectly happy to receive a redub of Z, let alone all of Dragon Ball, but some of these changes are just weird, we all have our preferences, but some of these don't really preserve the name puns, and at that point, you might as well just rename the characters since either way their names are just going to be meaningless to the viewer. Though I once more reiterate that a redub will most likely never happen, and all of this is wishful thinking, so if you want to theorize about this potential redub by Viz or whatever company, then do your thing, I guess.
Go over time and space...

TechExpert2021

Post by TechExpert2021 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:33 am It wouldn't be necessary, because, as stated unlike the Sailor Moon example Dragon Ball Z has a complete, uncut English dub. Even with its flaws it satisfies what the vast majority of fans want in an English dub, that much is clear because its so adamantly defended to this day.
I don't like bumping this thread, but...

I don't understand why those who hated FUNimation's 1999-2003 DBZ dub (or their Ultimate Uncut dub from 2005) don't want a redub of the entire DBZ series. But it is understandable since we got DBZ Kai with a more accurate English dub.