Episode #0060 (14 January 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:12 am

Whoa, nostalgia over-dose. :lol: I remember all of this stuff-- including Sushi-X's bizzare praise for Final Bout. I also remember those ads at the back of the EGMs. I ordered Super Battle Collection Vol. 1 and Vol. 25 from Game Cave back when DBZ was still in syndication. I also ordered Vol. 00 in 2000 from one of those import stores. (I still have the box for that one! :D )

Also, there's another huge series that had its sequel go from a console to a handheld: Mother AKA EarthBound. I need me some Mother 3...

Anyways, nice podcast guys!
Last edited by Brad Redfield on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:12 am

Anime blow-up doll>all. I'm sorry, but that is just amazing.
sick fucks -__-

BTW, this podcast was pretty fun, Jeff and Andrew should always be on the podcast :lol: but all future references to anime blowup dolls should be edited out ;P

EDIT: @Mike: Have you guys ever thought about doing a video... podcast... thingy?
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:02 am

Done listening. Terrific episode. Daizenshuu EX the podcast is a family show!? :shock:

The main topic was very interesting this week. I enjoyed hearing you go through various gaming magazines and talking about them, the scans you took look really interesting. It was also cool to hear you talk about how magazines have evolved from being 300 pages long filled with anime and import games to half that size with anime games changing into a big no-no that usually get slapped with a 6/10 just because it's a anime game. I wish magazines these days could be more tolerable against anime games. I also enjoyed Andrews taco story. Andrew sure does a lot to get his taco! :D Still no answer to my email. I'll give it another week then I'll send a new question. Speaking of emails, it was hilarious when Jeff read the spam mail! :lol:

Very good podcast episode guys! Keep it up! I'm looking forward to what you'll do next week.
Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Jump Ultimate Stars (DS).
Currently obsessed with: Death Note, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Busou Renkin

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:32 am

Wow, I feel old too. I remember a lot of those old EGMs. I especially remember the Final Bout coverage, but didn't think much of it until I later got into DBZ. And Mike, and Meri, I too miss the old Game Cave/import store ads in the back of all the gaming mags. I would just look and look over all the cool stuff that we didn't get (and never will)... and those magazines were thicker and had more features. I don't even read game magazines anymore now.

Thanks for giving me a nostalgia trip today! Later and keep up the great job.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:13 am

Wow, I never realized EGM used to be so... bland (granted I wasn't reading EGM as far back as the mid-90's, seeing as how the first issue I ever read was this issue that I bought a week before I went to camp so I could read the Pokemon Gold/Silver article... yes, my memory stores trivial things like that).
And those name translations are just... bleh.

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:00 am

Ninja Scroll isn't crap. Shame on you for not knowing who John Carmack is.

I remember those GameCave ads and bought a lot of Macross games thinking it was Robotech.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

The Batman

Post by The Batman » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:36 pm

Wow, those reviews are written pretty poorly.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:30 pm

http://www.daizex.com/general/podcast/m ... spread.jpg

My innocence!

EDIT: I turned it into a link!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:03 pm

I was sold after hearing Andrew's Taco Bell story. Awesome, Awesome podcast guys. I want more of Andrew's stories :lol:
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:47 am

Seeing the 8-bit-quality NES graphics as screencapped in the first Nintendo Power kinda made me all fuzzy inside for a moment. Glaring simplicity aside, I actually remember the games I played on that old system with some fondness. Maybe I should plug that thing in and play on it again when I get a chance... TT_TT
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 am

"Tits."

Jeff, I need to find and kidnap you at some convention somewhere.

This was a very out-of-the-ordinary, but definitely interesting one. Loved the in-depth talk about where video games have gone. I too am annoyed by the crap people pull with anime games in this day and age (ESPECIALLY with fucking X-Play...), and I realized some things about certain magazines I keep up with I never really bothered to think about.

Keep it up, as always.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:52 am

Heh, my first exposition to Dragonball was actually a preview of Butoden 3 from a CES report in a Norwegian gaming magazine back in '93. Not much of a preview, actually, it pretty much went like this:

"A lot of people were crowding around Dragon Ball Z 3, even though it's really not very good at all. But, the japanese love their manga heroes, so it's kind of understandable for them. The possibility of the game coing to our shores is practically non-existent, so take a good look at the pictures, it's probably all you'll ever see."

Why they'd waste one third of a page ranting about a game pretty much no one in Norway could possibly care about, that would never make it over here, and that, according to them, wasn't even any good in the first place, is beyond me.

I did end up playing the first Gameboy game on a multicart in 1995, though, but as the game is somewhat complex and has a lot of menus in japanese (and pretty damned hard and unfair in the first place), I didn't understand a thing, and quickly ditched it for the other, more entertaining games on the cart.

As for import games, UK-based NGamer reviews practically all games released for Nintendo's consoles, no matter what they are and where they are released (even doing a full-page review of a Mah Jong game, dedicating half the page to an explanation of the rules (in a somewhat humorous fashion, yes)). On top of that, some of the crew are fans of DBZ, and they even gave Budokai Tenkaichi 2 a great review, recommending it to people who weren't fans of the series as well.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:36 pm

Really fun episode, and the blow-up doll thing was just... eww. O_o

I enjoyed the random ramblings, i.e. Andrew's shout-outs, the Taco Bell discussion, and the part about the baseball bat and 911 just had me on the floor. :lol:

Speaking of floor... Mike, I hope you have a cleaner who likes EGM. :shock:

And is that Andrew on the floor? If so, he looks completely different than the pictures I've seen of him in Hicktown, Japan.

And as for the ending about Andrew coming on to you, Mike...

I kill person now.

Oh, and Mike... what year is it? I've been out drinking for the past two weeks, can you tell me? ;p

Please don't ban me, Master...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:47 pm

Hilarious podcast as usual!

I took issue with your response to IGN's Dragon Quest 9 thingy... They're right when they say that this is one of the few series that has been switched from console to portable. Note that what they mean is the MAIN series. They're not talking about spinoffs or subtitled games here. They're talking about the NEXT game in the MAIN series being on a significantly different platform from the previous.

Link's Awakening isn't Zelda 4. It doesn't count.

FFIII and pals are all remakes. They don't count. FF never went from a console to a portable.

Mario Land as you noted, is a spinoff. Mario Land wasn't Super Mario Bros 3 or 4 or anything like that.

Metroid II is like, the only one I can think of.

Basically it's a very rare occurrence. Especially for a popular RPG series. Do you see FF 13 on PSP? There's a reason why not.

Edit: Just thought of another one: Seiken Densetsu started on GBA and moved to SNES, PSX, etc.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:34 pm

Sabin Deus wrote:Link's Awakening isn't Zelda 4. It doesn't count.
I disagree. A lot of people, including myself, consider Link's Awakening to be basically Zelda 4.

Legend of Zelda - Zelda 1
Adventure of Link - Zelda 2
A Link to the Past - Zelda 3
Link's Awakening - Zelda 4
Ocarina of Time - Zelda 5

And so on until it gets to Oracle of Seasons/Ages and things get more confusing.

And for the record, I immediately thought of Metroid II, too.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:19 pm

Sorry to intrude but the only Zelda games that wouldn't count are the CDi games and of course Tingle RPG (maybe even Four Swords of GBA and GC). The Gameboy ones are underrated and it was Link's awakening that got me into Zelda.:o...DragonBall Forum..^^;
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:49 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
Sabin Deus wrote:Link's Awakening isn't Zelda 4. It doesn't count.
I disagree. A lot of people, including myself, consider Link's Awakening to be basically Zelda 4.

Legend of Zelda - Zelda 1
Adventure of Link - Zelda 2
A Link to the Past - Zelda 3
Link's Awakening - Zelda 4
Ocarina of Time - Zelda 5

And so on until it gets to Oracle of Seasons/Ages and things get more confusing.

And for the record, I immediately thought of Metroid II, too.
Sorry I must respectfully disagree with your "lot of people" claim.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:38 pm

Link's Awakening literally follows a Link from a previous adventure into a new adventure. Let's also not forget that Minish Cap sets up a ridiculous amount of plot points and general Hyrule canon/history/etc.

I typically don't link to YouTube stuff, but check out the Game Trailers awesome dissection of the Zelda chronology. With the exception of the CDi games (and maybe you'd have a case on the Oracle games), absolutely nothing in the Zelda franchise is extraneous.

My point with them is that they couldn't come up with a single god damned example. As someone brought up, Mother is another fine (and more recent) example in addition to Metroid. If you're getting paid to do this stuff, at least put in the effort we're doing here for zilch... research, and then outline your discussion. There's a reason independent radio/podcasting rocks so much more than the corporate bullshit. If anyone wants any other podcasts-to-listen-to suggestions on a few topics, just PM me and let me know.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:16 pm

You shouldn't number Zelda games (don't get me started with timeline stuff), it just doesn't sound right. It confusing, and it's like calling OOT "Zelda 64". Abbreviations work fine! But as much as I love Zelda, and would like to start a discussion about it, this is a Dragon Ball forum. So...SSJ2 Teen Gohan ROxz0rz. :wink:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I typically don't link to YouTube stuff, but check out the Game Trailers awesome dissection of the Zelda chronology.
Awesome.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!