Common Sense...okay?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kirbopher
Regular

Common Sense...okay?

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:33 am

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-revi ... all-Z.html

...thoughts on this?

(Oh and search for One Piece and read the comments on that one. Makes me sick...)

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 am

... xDDDD

Sounds like something my mom would ask herself had we started watching the series any sooner than we did. Makes me laugh. :lol:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 am

I'm more amused than anything.
unconventional weapons are used
Are they talking about nyoi-bo? Unconventional weapons makes me think of Piccolo going at somebody using a door or a slab of meat.

Though I gotta admit, Roshi's rice-cooker does meet the definition.
faithful companions
Makes me think more of a pet than Vegeta, Kuririn, etc.

I don't care for "Ben 10" or "Duelmasters" :p
And "Kappa Mikey"'s probably only on there cuz Goku's Funi VA is a main character on that show as well.
Last edited by Chuquita on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:42 am

Sounds like the guy watched the dub and said:

"Yo, this show has a lot of violence but at the same time it teaches a lot of good values. Entertaining and educating!"

He's not going in-depth enough to really make me have a big opinion on it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:44 am

Oh man, this hilarious.

I looked up Bleach.
"Families can discuss ghosts. Do they really exist? Do you think anyone can really communicate with the dead? If you could talk to anyone who's passed on, who would it be? What would you ask them?"

Back to DBZ and the site
People need to know that the show wasn't really made for role models or to be an influence. If you have people that can shoot energy of some sort.... chances are the series isn't made for morals.
- Life is a game, play it!

Space Coyote

Post by Space Coyote » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:18 am

Wow this is laughable. Like kids give a crap about the deeper meanings inherent in a show.

The One Piece review was pretty funny. Check out the kids' reviews for it. One kid titled his "Horrible and I want to cry..." and he says that his dad is helping him write the review (forming an opinion?) saying that the show is anti-christian and evil. Urg. (I guess one could argue that, as the 4kids version is atrocious)

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:21 am

I am disgusted by the review of One Piece. Just- I don't even know, the reviewers must not have watched many episodes.

Anyway, about Dragonball Z, I think it's right for parents to worry about the violence because let's face it, little boys are very impressionable and are may start fights or break things. But at the same time it annoys me that parents don't want to take the time to actually help their kids make that distinction between cartoons and reality. Sheltering your kids isn't going to make them better people, it's going to make them ignorant. I mean seriously, should parents be wary of girls wearing short skirts and flirting in cartoons? Like they don't see that everyday on the street.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:37 am

I found the Bo-bobo one!

"Did you understand the plot?"

I don't know why, but I found this very amusing.
- Life is a game, play it!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:00 pm

Freaks. I now hate this website and 99% of the morons who write for it.

However, one adult reviewer hit the nail on the head for One Piece...
A dude who actually DID make sense wrote:In the tradition of every great adventure story youv'e ever known comes something entirely different. In the tradition of a shame comes the english adaption of this japanese television show. The "good stuff" rating was for the original version. The adaption shown on Tv here gets a low low grade on the quality scale. But what we have here is a strange trade off. I can see from this site that its some kind of "whats Jr. watching!" place. So ironically its the superior original that will make this "10 and up" show tame. The true One Piece is a bloody,goofy, smoke and liquor filled joy-ride of high adventure and Tarantino meets Walt Disney is all I can think of to descibe it. However the original also features asthetic mastery, the dialouge is well done, the emotions powerful, the humour funny, the settings breathtaking. All of which is lacking from the dumbed down adaption. My advice parents? This show you'll see on television will only give severe head trauma to any aspiring artist and storyteller you have in the family. This is a mangled piece of art that sure DOES seem like a bunch of yelling and fighting once all the intelligence and quality is gone. Maybe when the kids are older you can get them some of the generally well done One Piece comics released by Viz communications, these will provide for good fun and good quality.
Now if you'll excuse me... I'ma gon' go watch me some One Piece.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Review wrote:Goku and Gohan use "ki" (life force) to perform spectacular feats such as flying or firing laser blasts from their fingertips. Cool to some viewers, scary to others.
The first time I saw Dragonball Z when Goku and Gohan were fighting and firing ''laser blasts'' from their fingertips I was terrified. Magic? I didn't know what to do, but I soon realised the appeal of the father-son team and decided to talk to my family about it. Ever since me and my pops have been trying to figure out how to do these ''laser blasts''.

After watching a few episodes of the show, my mother came into the room and caught me with my pants down, she walked out of the room disgusted so I quickly pulled my pants up. ''What the deuce are you doing'' she demanded as she walked back in. She then looked at the TV screen and then noticed the skimpy and ''revealing'' clothes that some of the female characters had on. She then turned the TV off and forbid me from watching Dragonball.

Heh none of this seriously happend, but honestly, what the hell do these reviewers expect?
- Scott

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Three cheers for misguided parents!!! :D
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Android18
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Android18 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:37 pm

Sexual Content (Adult)

Girl characters show cleavage and wear short skirts. Flirty behavior with boys.

hemm where do they see that?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:09 am

Android18 wrote:Sexual Content (Adult)

Off the top of my head...Bulma flirts with Goku, Yamcha, General Blue, and Vegeta. Marron hits on any guy with a pulse. Both of them are notorious for mini skirts and semi nudity. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but I think when you become a parent you biologically become hyper-sensitive to anything on television.

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:04 am

Hahahahahaha, this is a laugh all right, I just love reading things like this, it shows how stupid the world can be sometimes, it like the Pokemon reviews, you won't believe what you can see on it!
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:37 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:
Android18 wrote:Sexual Content (Adult)

Off the top of my head...Bulma flirts with Goku, Yamcha, General Blue, and Vegeta. Marron hits on any guy with a pulse. Both of them are notorious for mini skirts and semi nudity. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but I think when you become a parent you biologically become hyper-sensitive to anything on television.
Sex on TV isn't dangerous!... unless you fall off, that is. :wink:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:53 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:[...]Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but I think when you become a parent you biologically become hyper-sensitive to anything on television.
I really wouldn't blame a parent of a young child (4-12) to think that way because if you look at TV today (2007), Dragonball is like Sesame Street.. How did the standards change so drastically within the last decade or so? I blame Ja Rule... :|
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:38 pm

Dragonball had that age category (about 6 to 12) in Japan since it launched? >.>;;

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:49 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:[...]Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but I think when you become a parent you biologically become hyper-sensitive to anything on television.
I really wouldn't blame a parent of a young child (4-12) to think that way because if you look at TV today (2007), Dragonball is like Sesame Street.. How did the standards change so drastically within the last decade or so? I blame Ja Rule... :|
-Rick
No kidding! Violence isn't a real big issue because if you raise your kids right they will know better, but all the sexual themes on normal prime time network TV make Bulma look like a nun.

John
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Common Sense...okay?

Post by John » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:45 pm

Common Sense Review wrote:Common Sense Review
Reviewed By: Pam Gelman

Having stood the test of time for more than a decade, there's little to debate about the appeal of DRAGON BALL Z. Except all the plotholes and inconsistencies caused by poorly written filler or the clumsiness of the original creator. Parents who haven't seen any anime before may not understand the genre's worldwide following. Fuck, I don't! You'll need to watch two whole goddamn shows to get a grip on the mind-blowing psychodrama that is Dragonball Z.

Goku, his son Gohan, and their faithful companions and sometimes villains who put their evil aside to kill an even bigger villain who'll probably get in their way when it comes time to take over the world do whatever they can to defend Earth from a variety of feminine alien villains. Goku and Gohan have special powers (including Kame-Hame-Ha (Turtle Destruction Wave) and Kaio-Ken (a power that makes one's hot muscles bulge even more)) and an unyielding commitment to conquer evil or eat a shitload of food. But their skills are often tested by villains who are seeking "genocide" or "mass destruction" or "the inflation of their ridiculous egos." It can be argued that the villains in Dragon Ball Z all suffer from lack of self-esteem or faith in Christ. The ultimate goal of the villains, besides complete domination, is typically to obtain dragon balls (seven in all), which, when gathered together, can grant a steaming pile of wishes.

Compared to its predecessor, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, has many more battle and fight scenes and more violent language (King Kai has got away with saying "FUCK" on the air) -- but, then again, it's also more popular. Probably because of the swear words and violence. Goku and Gohan use "ki" (life force) to perform testacular feats such as flying (through the air) or firing laser blasts from their fingertips (or palms). Cool to some viewers, scary to others; it's a parent's call to decide whether or not the content is appropriate for their kids. But, I mean, fuck. It's not like it matters. Our dumb kids'll just disobey the shit out of us and watch it more if we tell 'em not to. Parents also need to be aware of the skimpy clothes worn by female characters. Especially male parents. Does it arouse you? You're watching a cartoon. But, hey, it's totally okay because there's a whole internet subculture about that kind of stuff. Oh. Yes. Watch Dragon Ball Z for some flirty behavior and language directed at the males.

Make sure to watch the episode where Videl fights Spopovich. She gets R.U.I.N.E.D. RUINED. Make sure your kids see her ambition crushed to shit. Aside from the family, fighting, sex, and food, Dragon Ball Z teaches that once you stand up, you WILL get kicked down. I mean, look at Freeza. Poor feller.

Kids who are interested in other anime series can check out Ben 10, Kappa Mikey, Stripperella, and Duel Masters.
That is absolutely the craziest thing I have ever read... 8)
(guitar solo goes here)

Android18
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Android18 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:03 pm

Common Sense Review wrote:Common Sense Review
Reviewed By: Pam Gelman

Having stood the test of time for more than a decade, there's little to debate about the appeal of DRAGON BALL Z. Except all the plotholes and inconsistencies caused by poorly written filler or the clumsiness of the original creator. Parents who haven't seen any anime before may not understand the genre's worldwide following. Fuck, I don't! You'll need to watch two whole goddamn shows to get a grip on the mind-blowing psychodrama that is Dragonball Z.

Goku, his son Gohan, and their faithful companions and sometimes villains who put their evil aside to kill an even bigger villain who'll probably get in their way when it comes time to take over the world do whatever they can to defend Earth from a variety of feminine alien villains. Goku and Gohan have special powers (including Kame-Hame-Ha (Turtle Destruction Wave) and Kaio-Ken (a power that makes one's hot muscles bulge even more)) and an unyielding commitment to conquer evil or eat a shitload of food. But their skills are often tested by villains who are seeking "genocide" or "mass destruction" or "the inflation of their ridiculous egos." It can be argued that the villains in Dragon Ball Z all suffer from lack of self-esteem or faith in Christ. The ultimate goal of the villains, besides complete domination, is typically to obtain dragon balls (seven in all), which, when gathered together, can grant a steaming pile of wishes.

Compared to its predecessor, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, has many more battle and fight scenes and more violent language (King Kai has got away with saying "FUCK"on the air) -- but, then again, it's also more popular. Probably because of the swear words and violence. Goku and Gohan use "ki" (life force) to perform testacular feats such as flying (through the air) or firing laser blasts from their fingertips (or palms). Cool to some viewers, scary to others; it's a parent's call to decide whether or not the content is appropriate for their kids. But, I mean, fuck. It's not like it matters. Our dumb kids'll just disobey the shit out of us and watch it more if we tell 'em not to. Parents also need to be aware of the skimpy clothes worn by female characters. Especially male parents. Does it arouse you? You're watching a cartoon. But, hey, it's totally okay because there's a whole internet subculture about that kind of stuff. Oh. Yes. Watch Dragon Ball Z for some flirty behavior and language directed at the males.

Make sure to watch the episode where Videl fights Spopovich. She gets R.U.I.N.E.D. RUINED. Make sure your kids see her ambition crushed to shit. Aside from the family, fighting, sex, and food, Dragon Ball Z teaches that once you stand up, you WILL get kicked down. I mean, look at Freeza. Poor feller.

Kids who are interested in other anime series can check out Ben 10, Kappa Mikey, Stripperella, and Duel Masters.
It can be argued that the villains in Dragon Ball Z all suffer from lack of self-esteem or faith in Christ.
I wonder where this come from.... and theres sex in the show?