900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:51 pm

Still going thru it, but I thought I'd toss something up before I go and look for specific places that need screencaps.

Packaging is horrible, it's a digipak with a vertical sliding sleeve...and the disks sit on top of eachother 'shudders'

I leave you with this cap, with more to come later.

http://www.db-destiny.net/vlcsnap-2430373.png

Roshi has lost his top

edit- due to vlc glitching like crazy the rest of the screenshots I take for today will just be pg screencaps from WinDVD, mostly to show cropping, rather then video quality, I will try and fix VLC later to get more quality caps

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:57 pm

Pease, please, please...and thank you! :wink:
godofchaos wrote:I'll have my box within the hour, so anyone who has Dragonbox stuff and wants to work out matching screencaps will need to contact me pretty soon, otherwise ill just watch and cap random stuff.
These would be great. Also the now famous 4-way split-screen shot from the end of this episode. (This is all from episode 34, by the way).

The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:58 pm

...yeah...I'm not sure posting this in 2 different threads is necessary to make me notice

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:58 pm

Ugh. That packaging style?

And, for the record, I now think that the widescreen was a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE job.

Usually I'm not a funi hater, but jesus christ (forgive me for any who take offense) that looks horrible.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:02 pm

First basic thoughts...

Outside of the cropping, the video is VERY good, theres a few compression artifacts, but that is mostly because I'm LOOKING for flaws, the color depth and levels are very nice, color temperature might actually be a tad nicer then the dragonboxes, but the cropping really kills it, and just seeing the aspect ratio like that makes it look 'weird'.

Listening to the dub voices and japanese music is very very odd, I'm not sure I can watch the show like this frankly, I enjoy the dub and the original japanese, with the original japanese beating the dub, but i keep getting pulled out of the show because my ears for some reason cant 'adjust' to hearing stuff from both at the same time.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:03 pm

godofchaos wrote:...yeah...I'm not sure posting this in 2 different threads is necessary to make me notice
Sorry, wasn't sure if you saw it or not.

Also, if I may, I'll just dive right in...
By expanding the horizontal axis beyond the intended limit, they've now exposed what seems to be the edge of one of the layers of cel on the left (the faint line running vertically on the left hand side).
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:04 pm

For those that care, the corresponding UUE edition shot. (the added footage on the side is a joke. It's almost as if they added nothing....)

Ouch. They cropped waaay more of the picture than I thought would be cropped...
Last edited by Tenken on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:05 pm

godofchaos wrote:First basic thoughts...

Outside of the cropping, the video is VERY good, theres a few compression artifacts, but that is mostly because I'm LOOKING for flaws, the color depth and levels are very nice, color temperature might actually be a tad nicer then the dragonboxes, but the cropping really kills it, and just seeing the aspect ratio like that makes it look 'weird'.

Listening to the dub voices and japanese music is very very odd, I'm not sure I can watch the show like this frankly, I enjoy the dub and the original japanese, with the original japanese beating the dub, but i keep getting pulled out of the show because my ears for some reason cant 'adjust' to hearing stuff from both at the same time.
Can you hurry up and post that 4 way screen as well as a few of the others DBW refers to? I am shattered and want to go to bed!

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:11 pm

b_boult wrote: Can you hurry up and post that 4 way screen as well as a few of the others DBW refers to? I am shattered and want to go to bed!
First off, fuck you.

Second off, I was about to post those shots but now I'm gonna wait an hour or 2 to be a dick since you can't even give me the proper time to make sure I got those frames correctly, since i was only provided with screencaps and not timecodes to go by I have to go frame by frame to make sure I get the right frame, and since its framed COMPLETELY different then the Dragonboxes, that makes it annoyingly hard to make sure I've matched it right.

back to our regularly scheduled post....

Colors seem to be different from the Dragonboxes in a few places, and theres still some noticeable dirt, grain, and glitches on the video that, if the remastering process is as 'zomg amazing' as we've been led to believe, probably shouldn't be there.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:14 pm

Whoa. Not to go off topic, but I think you're overreacting a bit. We're all anticipating the screenshots as well, you know.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:15 pm

DBW wrote:
godofchaos wrote:...yeah...I'm not sure posting this in 2 different threads is necessary to make me notice
Sorry, wasn't sure if you saw it or not.

Also, if I may, I'll just dive right in...
By expanding the horizontal axis beyond the intended limit, they've now exposed what seems to be the edge of one of the layers of cel on the left (the faint line running vertically on the left hand side).
Here is the corresponding Dragon Box shot from ep 34 or so...

And the edge of the cel happens in even the dragon box episodes. All in all, the image quality doesn't look too bad. It remains to be seen if the cropping of it all is worth a damn.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:17 pm

Personally, I like the colors much more on the funi remaster than the dragonbox. But the cropping is still pretty harsh according to the screen provided. Plus, less grain; at least, according to my eyes.

Despite that, as said above ,the cropping is waay more than I expected.
Last edited by bkev on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:17 pm

I don't think b_bout meant any offense Chaos; exhaustion and dissapointment can wreak havoc on our online etiquette, we've all done it.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:20 pm

few screencaps from episode 34, I will do the rest after I finish some work and eat.

http://www.db-destiny.net/DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-0.jpg
http://www.db-destiny.net/DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-1.jpg
http://www.db-destiny.net/DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-2.jpg
http://www.db-destiny.net/DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-3.jpg
http://www.db-destiny.net/DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-4.jpg
http://www.db-destiny.net/DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-5.jpg

the last 2 are capped from the same frame, when i play dvds off windvd I have the colors setup to display custom so they show up on my crt, but I forgot to change it back to the 'real' colors to cap, I will go back and recap the others later on tonight, but I did the last frame 'both' ways to show the difference between the 'true' dvd colors and what windvds processing was doing. (Not all the caps are from the list, one was just one I found interesting, but the cropping is VERY bad.) (4 is with the crt processing from windvd, 5 is without)

And no, I don't think I was overreacting, I don't need him telling me what to do.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:21 pm

If we're going to compare screens, we should also look for high movement parts of the episodes to see the compression artifacts (the Cell Games last disc is infamous for this)... this way we'll know if they pulled off the proper eps / disc count or not.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:24 pm

*looks at new shots (thanks chaos, btw)

Fuck...

...no.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:25 pm

godofchaos wrote:(Not all the caps are from the list, one was just one I found interesting, but the cropping is VERY bad.) (4 is with the crt processing from windvd, 5 is without)
If its any help, you ought to make an AVISynth script to open the VOB files. That way you can be sure there is no extra image processing done on the image (or I think opening the files in VirtualDubMod would be the same thing)

Thanks for the screen caps. Keep 'em coming :lol: At least we can compare the cropping issues (although you already think they're VERY bad... ugh!)
ect5150

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:27 pm

b_boult wrote:Can you hurry up and post that 4 way screen as well as a few of the others DBW refers to? I am shattered and want to go to bed!
Yeah, being rude and demanding is exactly the way to get what you want :roll:

http://img251.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rop5ke.jpg
This is a comparison of the three opening shots that were posted. Green is the UUE and red is the Dragon Box. It's interesting that for the opening at least, the old R1 version has more picture around each edge.

Here's a comparison of the shot where Oolong and Baba's faces get cut off:
http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/1074 ... rop0wl.jpg

Thanks a lot for posting the screencaps!
Last edited by Mystery Person X on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Another thing thats interesting.

While the show is anamophic widescreen, the menus are letterboxes widescreen, I know that some DVD players cough up shits and giggles when this is done because it doesnt properly reset inbetween playing the menu and the video, so anyone who has problems with that might have problems with the disks. (While the Shadow Chronicles DVD from Funi that I also got today is all anamorphic, so...who knows what Funi is doing)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Interesting comparison:

We've always known the colors were different on FUNIs masters, but this is way off, even if you had WinDVD alter the colors just a bit for your display. Also, whats that ... dirt to the lower-right of Vegeta's foot on FUNIs version? Didn't they remaster it "frame-by-frame" ?!?!?!
ect5150