Availability of Dragon Boxes Today

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Availability of Dragon Boxes Today

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:31 am

Okay, I know it's been 4 years since the limited release but seeing as I've had my eye on them from the start (but never been able to afford) I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this topic for me.

Are there any Japanese/Import stores in real life or on the web that might still be selling new, unopened sets?

There are a few resellers on Amazon.co.jp but they're all missing a figure or cardboard or booklet etc...I want to know what my options are other than ordering every single individual release, though I may resort to that if there is no other way.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:34 am

Outside of private auctions, which aren't that often, you're out of luck. Also, expect to pay through the nose to get one when you track it down.

Can you speak Japanese? Because there are no subtitles and if you're paying that much you should at least be able to understand what you're watching.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:49 am

I've taken three years of Japanese thus far so I suppose you could say I'm in the process of learning it. My hope is to read along with a printed translation like the ones found at Project Shinonome, though it's missing a few, so if there are any more that people know about or could provide, that too would be greatly appreciated.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:54 am

For the last while, the Dragon Box: Movies set was the most available one, it being sold on Amazon Japan. However, it's out of stock now there too, making the Movies set as rare as the others =P

Honestly, it's probably impossible to find 'em right now, outside of eBay and private auctions. (Although you could go for the singles, they're available, and not so expensive either :D)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:54 am

Smooth Criminal wrote:Can you speak Japanese? Because there are no subtitles and if you're paying that much you should at least be able to understand what you're watching.
Not necessarily. It all depends on his own point of view on understanding full well this is a release aimed at Japanese audiences, and purchasing a Dragonbox when being full aware of this, then he's not intending to fully understand the language. I assume he already has a full understanding of the story and each episode, so missing out on most of the dialogue instances may not be important to him. Hell, like a couple others who've bought a set, he may wanna try learning Japanese while watching it.

But anywho, Acid, good look finding an actual unopened Dragonbox. Because seriously, I doubt you'll find one that hasn't been opened or is being offered on sale. Toei only made an exact number of boxes that coincided with the number of pre-orders they received, so it's very limited to say the least. Hence why they're releasing the R2 singles, which if you're not up to buying FUNi's releases or the Spanish remastered DVDs, would be your best bet.

Now obviously, I'm a person who won't ever buy a Dragonbox or R2 single. Basically because of the importing issue and hefty prices, and mainly because I only have interest in watching the Japanese version if it's subtitled. That's my choice and hence why I only have interests in the FUNi season sets, they're cheap and offer the best translation on Earth for the JP version. But hey, that's just me and my personal preference, you do what you feel is best to enjoy the series as best as possible.
Acid_Reign wrote:I've taken three years of Japanese thus far so I suppose you could say I'm in the process of learning it. My hope is to read along with a printed translation like the ones found at Project Shinonome, though it's missing a few, so if there are any more that people know about or could provide, that too would be greatly appreciated.
You could always just buy the FUNi DVDs containing the episodes Shinonome didn't transcribe. >_>;;
14 years later

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:06 am

Thanks for that, Conan.

I've been collecting the FUNi DVDs for quite a while now, but after learning about the quality differences and their recent fuck up, I've decided to focus my effort of owning the whole series at the source. I may go back for the English audio once they get their shit in order.

I suppose I'd be comfortable getting a resell, but looking at Amazon through a machine translator has its limitations. I can only make base inferences on what's really being sold until I perhaps consult with my friend in Tokyo. I wouldn't mind the individuals either, but I love the idea of having a complete collector's set, so that's the ideal.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:17 am

Conan the SSJ wrote: You could always just buy the FUNi DVDs containing the episodes Shinonome didn't transcribe. >_>;;
You know what? I love you. This just made my job WAAAAY easier. I think I"m going to cry... :o

Saiyan Combat
Banned

Post by Saiyan Combat » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:20 am

items like this, wont be resold for a lot of money for atleast another 6 years.

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:44 am

Acid_Reign wrote:I suppose I'd be comfortable getting a resell, but looking at Amazon through a machine translator has its limitations.
Not only that, but most Marketplace sellers on Amazon.co.jp don't ship internationally.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 am

Mystery Person X wrote:
Acid_Reign wrote:I suppose I'd be comfortable getting a resell, but looking at Amazon through a machine translator has its limitations.
Not only that, but most Marketplace sellers on Amazon.co.jp don't ship internationally.
You could use Rinkya though (www.rinkya.com).

My advice? Wait for the singles. Yeah, the boxes have some badass extras, but if it's just the show you want you could get the singles as they are released (all of Z is almost out, and DB is next). At 3 discs with 6 episodes per release date, they're coming out fairly quickly.

-Corey

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:25 pm

The boxes are available at yahoo japan auctions through celga.

http://www.celga.com/dragonball.html

Be careful since there's quite a few bootleg sets being sold. Try to get both of the boxes at the same time for $1500 since a single box goes for $1000 alone.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:38 pm

You just wait, when I get a job, I'll buy the crap out of Yahoo Auctions Japan! Specifically, http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f48593870

Soon Anthony........soon.......

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:19 pm

Mystery Person X wrote:
I know this, which is why having a friend in Japan is quite handy. :D

Hm, bidding in Japanese makes me kind of nervous, but it's reassuring to know that there are still some sets out there.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:27 pm

fps_anth wrote:You just wait, when I get a job, I'll buy the crap out of Yahoo Auctions Japan! Specifically, http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f48593870

Hmm... looking at it, there was this one phrase in English that I managed to catch:

"Seller Will Not Ship Internationally."

Looks like you'll be needing your friend in Tokyo to do more than just help you translate the web pages, Acid_Reign... D:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:48 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote:
fps_anth wrote:You just wait, when I get a job, I'll buy the crap out of Yahoo Auctions Japan! Specifically, http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f48593870

Hmm... looking at it, there was this one phrase in English that I managed to catch:

Looks like you'll be needing your friend in Tokyo to do more than just help you translate the web pages, Acid_Reign... D:
Well yes, that's what I meant. Depending on how generous he is, I would probably want to ship to his house, then have him forward the package to me here in the States.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:49 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote:

http://www.celga.com

:wink:

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:54 pm

Well if you have $700 avaliable they have DBZ volume 1.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragonball-Z-Dragon ... dZViewItem

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:Well if you have $700 avaliable they have DBZ volume 1.

Holy crap! Must...argue...with...parents!

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:42 pm

I'm keeping a watch on this just to see who ends up getting it. :lol: $500 is waaaaay too much for me, especially with the amount of money I have currently. Hence why I'm looking at the remastered sets from FUNi...

Nevertheless, this should prove interesting... o3o
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:37 am

Birthday... present... Must tell... family...