Episode #0062 (28 January 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0062 (28 January 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:19 am

Episode #0062 (download MP3)
75:46; 64 kbps, mono; 34.6 MB

Episode #0062! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian bring back Castor Troy to (finally!) review "Jump Ultimate Stars" for the Nintendo DS. We also discuss all the latest Atari video game news, answer a great batch of e-mails, and even tell a couple stories about being too old and challenging the school-children of Japan to fist-fights. Referenced sites: Wii! Gotta Power! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the asinine *sixty-two* episodes, now.

Big thanks to Castor for checking in with us to discuss the game a little bit. We always have a great time kickin' back and talking. All parties involved had a fun time recording, and I think that shines through :).

Even if you're not a fan of the game or aren't interested in the review, there's some really good content in terms of news, releases, and especially e-mails that you'll probably find... err... interesting!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:34 am

Finally! Wait you said that already..Good news either way. I gonna download this and get some sleep..! (I thought Vegeta Insane was a great site btw)
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:35 am

WHOA O.O Sweet deal! You guys're on top of things this weekend *downloads the goodness*.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:41 am

The japanese are evil.. evil people...:roll:

The podcast was a blast! Lemme know if you need me for more interesting topics. :)

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:41 am

I unlocked everything in th game (all characters, levels, etc.... in the weekend I got it.... sad, ain't I)
There are no 9 komas in the game.
The new outfits for Naruto aren't that new... it has been around for the past year (I know way too fucking much about this crap)
The lag, I highly agree on. Especially when you hit everyone at once. Which is why I sometimes call it "Jump Ultimate Lag."
The best music is the intro to each world theme. Anyone have a rip of it? I feel like making it a remake.
Grabbing ledges doesn't mean shit if you play against someone who knows what they are doing. Fucking Hitsugaya support....
And yea, no coop combos between characters. I miss Luffy and Jotaro's "Gomu Gomu no ORAORAORA!!!"
The leader serves as the one who will represent your deck in sudden death.
To be honest, I liked unlocking better in the first game. Getting the gems for unlocking in this one SUCKED!
For the quizzes... they are usually 600 gems for something. Also for quizzes, just use one button the whole time and you will get 25% correct. (I get the OP ones right o.o). The quizzes are 10, 30 and 50. (my records are 5 for 10, 13 for 30, and 18 for 50)

I hate some people on wi-fi. I totally can relate to Mike's story.
I played against someone who used Allen in death match. When I hit him off, he kept himself in the air with the charging attack the whole time. So in sudden death, he pulled the same crap. Moves should not be able to charge for more than 5 fucking seconds. No, not JUS seconds... because those are not seconds... 5 regular seconds... 1 2 3 4 5 and you're done. They had to have used a support or help to do that. Cause I tried that... and it only did charge for like 2 seconds. WTF...

Another death match story... same as Mike's. 3 random people teamed up against me. I dunno how they were able to send a signal to each other. If they were all friends... pretty amazing luck. They killed me. They waited the rest of the time out. They waited sudden death out too so they all got first place. The next round they tried that shit again.... so I restarted my DS (... they were being assholes fi~rst).

Also, someone used Dr. Matsurito and kept spamming the damn exploding treasure chest in a way that once one hit you, at the rate the next dropped... it was impossible to get out of the way.

Fucking people....

By the way... has anyone tried the mic in the Wi-Fi?
Last edited by EvilGamerX on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Life is a game, play it!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:57 am

Yosh, early release! *downloads*

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:15 am

*walks back in*
Yeah, this review covered a lot and my email was answered. :) Hmm... one thing that I was looking to hear was other people talking about fighting on regular wifi.. :roll: Uh, yeah, I didn't own the first one so that's probably why the lag isn't as much as a problem for me. As for the leader in the deck, it's also used in sudden death. Again, good review (early podcast). (This game is basically Smash for the DS if that hasn't been said a thousand times. Yes, Piccolo sucks in this game imo. Also, did you say Goten is a support character >.>;)
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:07 am

Wow, it was a bit startling to hear my e-mail read on the podcast (because I thought you guys get thousands and it was one-in-a-million for it to be read), but now I feel like an ass because your answer was painfully obvious. :(

Well, I guess it's a good thing now that I know it's easy to acquire the Japanese version... but that shows me for ignoring extra features on DVDs. :P

Would you guys say getting the remastered DVD box-sets FUNimation are putting out would be almost as good as getting the Dragon Boxes for someone who is a domestic buyer?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:36 am

Thanos, I have only seen screencaps from the Dragonboxes, and a few random episodes and 2 of the movies from a friend who has them.

Let me be 100% clear.

The are only 2 positive things about this set (the dub with japanese music track is possibly a third)

1. Steve Simmons subs
2. Price

You can check the giant thread for more info, but the new set HONESTLY isn't worth it.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:22 am

godofchaos wrote:Thanos, I have only seen screencaps from the Dragonboxes, and a few random episodes and 2 of the movies from a friend who has them.

Let me be 100% clear.

The are only 2 positive things about this set (the dub with japanese music track is possibly a third)

1. Steve Simmons subs
2. Price

You can check the giant thread for more info, but the new set HONESTLY isn't worth it.
Well, as I said in the e-mail (from the podcast), I can't get anything from online, much less imports, so the new FUNi thing is my only option.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:15 am

Interesting review... when I get a DS Lite, I'll look to pick it up sometime.

I'm looking forward to your DBZ "Remastered" Season One review in a couple weeks *wink* :wink: ... Later!!

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:26 am

Yay for early released podcast's! Now i don't need to stay up to like 3 after midnight to listen to the podcast when it comes out (Timezones sucks). Definitely looking forward to hearing your opinions on JUS. I think JUS was a good improvement over Super Stars but still had a few problems and was a little to massive.

Looking forward to hearing you thoughts on the game!
Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Jump Ultimate Stars (DS).
Currently obsessed with: Death Note, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Busou Renkin

Otaku1990

Post by Otaku1990 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 pm

I hate the Japanese players in JUS too. That evening when I played a good amount of random online matches nearly everyone waited during the sudden death 'til the time ran out. So annoying.
In another match three people (including me) got into hand-to-hand fighting which lasted pretty much the whole match. The fourth player stood in some corner and did his mock-move. The whole match! At least he didn't place first, serves him right, he he :twisted:
And some support-attacks and even fighters are a bit unbalanced and unfair. Japanese players tend to use these all the time. If they do that, I choose MY unfair deck. Still a pain.
One really should play with friends if possible.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:23 pm

I agree with the review. The language barrier is killing me for some missions. I can't beat the fourth mission in the boss tower in J-blackhole. Looking forward to the DBZ First Season DVD review.

Sanji>all in JUS. :wink:

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:37 pm

I'll wait for this to reach iTunes and then I'll give my verdict.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:30 pm

DBZ MAN wrote:I'll wait for this to reach iTunes and then I'll give my verdict.
If you subscribe in iTunes, you don't have to wait for anything... it'll automatically download it the next time you've got your scheduler set.

The iTunes Store's listings in the directory isn't done in real-time. I've seen it take anywhere from 20 minutes to three days to show the latest episode.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:37 pm

Ha One step ahead of ya Mikey boy, I'm already a long term subscriber.
I guess it's one of those 'up to 3 days' days for it to happen.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:00 pm

Excellent work as always, guys! I've been waiting to hear your thoughts on this game for a while now, and the review didn't disappoint! You pretty much nailed it!

I've never had issues with Japanese people on Wi-Fi. I was once up against 3 Japanese people and I beat them with my Renji deck... Think of it as me avenging you, EX! :lol:

Black Mist
Beyond Newbie

Post by Black Mist » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:10 pm

That was an awseome podcast.I loved how you went in depth with your game review. It made me feel like I could still play without knowing Japanese just by listening to your review. Also there seems to be a problem on Itunes as your description appears to be the same as the last episode yet if you click for the full description it happens to be completely different.
Black Mist: B team
I am also a respected podcast audio emailer.Listen to my adventures with my sidekick B in nintedo.theretrocast.com.Or just random stuff at www.onholdpodcast.com

Lord Moonstone
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lord Moonstone » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:28 pm

Thought I should mention, being the nerd I am.
Currently listening to it and for anyone curious, meh, should mention it.

When you go on a ledge, hold up and you'll stand up instead of doing the roll to another edge and being stuck in 'perpetual' cliff hanging.
Also, the leader adds 8 J-soul (Health) to that koma.
(Yay for nerdom and having too much time :lol: )

Great review so far! (at 32:51) ^^

EDIT : Great points on the review. From your previous mentions on podcasts you sounded disappointed with the game.

"Meh, I still have to do the Jump Ultimate Stars review sometime." [/monotone]

Something like that XD
Nice to hear recommendations for it.

Concerning the Wi-Fi stories, I can't really relate, nor can I say I've had that happen. I hear SO many stories of these incidents from the GameFAQs board and from other friends with the game, but I've only had flat-out fights.... Maybe 'cuz I kick their ass so fast they can't sit around :lol: ( >_>; )

Enough of my rambling, great podcast as usual. I shall go play some Ultimate Stars now XD (That $35 for the Dragon Ball sets has got me intrigued o_O; We just purchased an HDTV recently with 16 : 9 capabilities... I'll probably check it out. See how it looks on thar)