Episode #0064 (11 February 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:33 am

Kirbopher wrote:Oh and Julian, those alternate endings you did were amazing...and you broke the .wav form even moreso than I did in the AnimeNEXT episode XD;
When Julian did the ending like Freeza, Mike sure got excited.... Meri's words echoed in my mind, "Uh-oh, Julian spoke like Freeza... and Mike's pants are getting tighter..." And I cracked up.

Interesting yet short episode this week. As an aside to Mr. Satan, I think Chris Rager nailed the voice as being a parody of a pro wrestler. Mr. Satan should pretty much have that Randy Savage voice, and he nailed it.

I'll be interested in finding your take on the Big Orange Box. I personally have enjoyed it (after getting over that "this isn't supposed to be 16:9" feeling), especially in the meat of the Goku vs. Vegeta fight and near the end. Here's something to chew on - if DBZ wasn't as successful as it was, would the TV series have ended at (or shortly after) Episode 35?
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:26 pm

Brakus wrote:Here's something to chew on - if DBZ wasn't as successful as it was, would the TV series have ended at (or shortly after) Episode 35?
I think the TV series would have had to be seriously screwed over big-time for that to happen. The manga was already on to Namek by that point (and still hugely popular), so something phenomenally bad would have had to happen to the anime in order to get people to not watch it.

On the other hand, if fans had walked away from the manga after Goku died, I could consider an end to the anime after the Vegeta fight ("first Goku dies and comes back, and now they're headed to space? This has really jumped the shark")... but that's pretty inconceivable in itself.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:35 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Brakus wrote:Here's something to chew on - if DBZ wasn't as successful as it was, would the TV series have ended at (or shortly after) Episode 35?
I think the TV series would have had to be seriously screwed over big-time for that to happen. The manga was already on to Namek by that point (and still hugely popular), so something phenomenally bad would have had to happen to the anime in order to get people to not watch it.

On the other hand, if fans had walked away from the manga after Goku died, I could consider an end to the anime after the Vegeta fight ("first Goku dies and comes back, and now they're headed to space? This has really jumped the shark")... but that's pretty inconceivable in itself.
If the manga ended at the end of the Saiyajin Saga GT would have been wierd. Gohan, Kuririn, and Bulma traveling through space to collect the Dragon Balls... wait a minute...
­

shannarafan
Beyond Newbie

Post by shannarafan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Ooo, I likes Norio Wakamoto. Nice to hear y'all talk about him.
Kirbopher wrote:because I've found that I'm one of the only people who actually liked Cell's second form in GENERAL
Yeah, most people think he's too ugly. Which is... understandable, yet ironic, considering his first form looks like a giant bug. :p

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:37 pm

shannarafan wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:[..]Because I've found that I'm one of the only people who actually liked Cell's second form in GENERAL
Yeah, most people think he's too ugly. Which is... understandable, yet ironic, considering his first form looks like a giant bug. :p
Well, second form Cell looks like a talking watermelon. I'll stop there. :o While we're on the subject of Mr.Satan, Mr. Savage, and Hercule, I thought this thread might be interesting to those who haven't seen it: http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=5153
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:45 pm

OMG LOL at Julian's Freeza impression! I actually lol'd! :lol:

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:37 am

So, uh, am I the only person who thinks kid Goku in GT was cool?
Ur... never mind.

Freeza Closer For the Win!
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:08 pm

About the whole "Satan" / "Hercule" thing...

Yes, "Hercule" apparently originated in the French dub. But do you know why they called him that in the French dub?
It apparently was a problem in the States, but calling a character like him "Satan" wouldn't have been a big deal at all, in France. So why did they change his name?

Well... It dates back to some weird translation choices in "Dragon Ball". When "Piccolo Daimaô" appeared in the French dub, he was called... "Satan Petit-Coeur" (lit. "Small-Heart Satan").
I guess the rationale behind that change was that "piccolo" means "small" in Italian, and "daimaô" means something like "devil king" (so Satan fits the bill).
As for the "coeur" / "heart" thing, I'm not sure. Maybe they thought there was a pun on "pikkoro" / "kokoro"? Maybe they were trying to make his name sound a bit cute (it's supposed to, as the characters comment on that at one point)? Maybe they thought "Petit-Coeur" sounded a bit like the original "Piccolo"? All of the above?

Anyway, that means they already had a character named "Satan" (even if he was generally referred to as "Petit-Coeur") when Mr. Satan appeared, years later. Whoops. So they changed Mr. Satan's name into "Hercule".

Strange story.

(while there were lots of weird/stupid translation choices in the French dub, I have to say I'm glad they didn't change that name because of religion... it doesn't get any dumber than that, really...)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:12 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:<snip>
Actually knew that, and totally meant to write it on the outline... and totally forgot :P. Thanks for reminding folks in this thread.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::