Episode #0065 (18 February 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0065 (18 February 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:17 pm

Episode #0065 (download MP3)
93:08; 64 kbps, mono; 42.6 MB

Episode #0065! VegettoEX, Meri, Julian, and Corey discuss and review FUNimation's remastered DBZ season one DVD boxset. The general conclusion is that it's an insult to fandom, but listen in for our full thoughts on FUNimation's lies. And hey, if you still want the set, we're giving one away with absolutely no catch. A bit of news and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the asinine *sixty-five* episodes, now.

Sorry for the lateness of the episode, but as you can see, this was no regular episode. We tried to go extremely in-depth on everything we could think of... and if there's something we didn't cover on the show, that's what Corey's review website is for. Make sure you check that out.

Also, it was a three-day weekend for us, so we enjoyed ourselves :D.

As of this episode's posting, Corey's review site isn't quite finished. Stay tuned. It'll be up shortly!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Yosh! The review is here, and I can finally sleep. Thanks guys.

*downloads*

EDIT: I really liked the comparison between the English dub and Japanese dub when Piccolo dies. Damn FUNimation...why would they remove the choir? It was so epic.
Last edited by fps_anth on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:25 pm

No need to apologize for the lateness. That's what three-day weekends are for. :o Seeing how Corey was the guest for this episode, I'm interested to hear how you guys will review this. My goal is to see the good things you found with the set.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Yay! I was hoping it would come out yesterday, so I could get some sleep for school tonight.

It doesn't matter though, at least it's out.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:35 pm

Yesh! It's up! I can finally hear the DaizEX review of the "Big Orange Piece'o'Garbage"!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:50 pm

Yes... YES!
I have been looking forward to this!
*downloads & starts listening*

When will Corey's site be up approximately?

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:03 pm

As always I'm waiting until it comes up on itunes.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:05 pm

Gaiash wrote:As always I'm waiting until it comes up on itunes.
I'm 36 minutes into it on iTunes as I type. Ah, poor Julian and his car :(.

(continues listening) Wow, I loved Jeff's commentary over that 5 minute special feature thing :lol:.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:29 pm

It's there if you're subscribed. I just tested, myself, and Episode #0065 is available in the feed via iTunes like it is everywhere else. Just because it's not showing up in the general iTunes Store listing doesn't mean you can't get it via iTunes! Just subscribe and update your feed :D. (right-click the podcast in your "Library >> Podcasts" menu and click "Update Podcast")
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
It's there if you're subscribed. I just tested, myself, and Episode #0065 is available in the feed via iTunes like it is everywhere else. Just because it's not showing up in the general iTunes Store listing doesn't mean you can't get it via iTunes! Just subscribe and update your feed :D. (right-click the podcast in your "Library >> Podcasts" menu and click "Update Podcast")
Thanks. I guess theres a lot more for me to learn about itunes.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:37 pm

Those Digi-packs are used by a lot of companies these days. I noticed that all the WB/DC stuff are in digi-packs as well, not the best but could be worse.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Does anyone else hear some weird background sounds during this episode? When the topic was just about finished, it sounded like someone was opening a door and turning on the TV.

And yeah, I definitely noticed that lack of certain BGM during the dub/BGM part. Now whenever I watch one of these episodes from the set, I'm gonna be suspicious and switch to the JP audio whenever I don't hear any music :x. But yeah... sadly the selling price is what's gonna get me to buy the second set (and because I love the Namek saga). As for the third set and on... not so much.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:49 pm

Sebastian from last week's podcast topic wrote:Yay! Norio Wakamoto! Looking forward to his performance as Nene in Blue Dragon. *Goes to listening*
DIDN'T I TELL YA!!! HAH!!! Thanks for the unintentional reference! BOOYAH!!

Either way, I'm sooo with you guys there on the 360 & Blue Dragon. I'm gonna go back & listen to the rest.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:57 pm

I'm still listening to the podcast as I type and you guys took the words out of my mouth. You guys get right to it and kick the shit out of this and rightfully so.

Concerning the sales and the price point, sadly I've come across people who defend this set because of the amount of episodes and price. I mean, do they prefer quantity over quality? Some are eating up this bullshit marketing strategy,"OMG remastered and more cinematic!!!!" FUNimation is spewing about even after I pointed out what's really going on.

Even worse are the arguements I've gotten into. (One person compared FUNimation's cropping of the series to Super35mm films as some sort of justification. Jesus...)

But hey, if this what is the only affordable way for people to purchase the series, I can't exactly blame them.

Quite frankly, I'm going to start buying the R2 singles. Y'know, something that's actually worth my hard-earned money. :P

EDIT: And I'm glad you guys enjoyed those screenshots. :P
Last edited by Brad Redfield on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:32 am, edited 10 times in total.

MysticGogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MysticGogeta » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:58 pm

Woot! I loved the bashing of pointless crap. But other than that good podcast, and c'mon Funi is 'trying' their best.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:03 am

Wait, so did Tanooki Kuribo jack a set for you guys, or a separate second one for the contest?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:08 am

I just realized somthing... When Goku gets his halo after the Cell games, you probley won't even know he's dead cause it'll be cropped! :shock:

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:19 am

Steve Franko: Colorist of the new DBZ Season 1 set and Playboy: Girls of Hooters!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1337363/

:shock:

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:46 am

Great podcast guys! This is the one I've been waiting for, and I can rest assured that it truly is a piece of shit... (evn though I entered in the contest anyways :roll: )

I was kinda hoping you guys would've mentioned Corey's pre-written letter, seeing as how that it's a last resort to get FUNi to even consider changing this...

And was it just me, or was Julian's voice being very choppy?
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

PiccoloDaimao

Post by PiccoloDaimao » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:25 am

Coming from your point of view Mike I can tell why your pissed off by the cropping, with you seeing all japanese episodes. But for most people its hardly a big deal, or makes the experience worse because I couldn't see a spike a Goku's hair. Though your right about them being asshole's for hyping this package being "The Ultimate Remasters", when it isn't that ultimate. Like you said, "Funimations about 10 years too late", but for the fans still around or got back into the again its not a bad package.

But yeah, Funimations milked this series for all its worth. Thats Capitalism at its best.