Episode #0066 (25 February 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:57 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:I like to think that most of this eased up around the time Pokemon showed up and took over America. The fact that 4Kids, while not afraid of censorship, certainly didn't avoid topics like death. Shows that came around after that seemed to progressively get less and less paranoid of "unsavory" topics, and put the focus back on creating quality programming.
Ironic how they were the only ones who didn't avoid death, and now they're the only ones who are. :lol:
­

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:46 pm

Taku128 wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:I like to think that most of this eased up around the time Pokemon showed up and took over America. The fact that 4Kids, while not afraid of censorship, certainly didn't avoid topics like death. Shows that came around after that seemed to progressively get less and less paranoid of "unsavory" topics, and put the focus back on creating quality programming.
Ironic how they were the only ones who didn't avoid death, and now they're the only ones who are. :lol:
Strange how things work out, isn't it? You'd think they'd have followed their own trend.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Does anyone (Tanooki?) actually own the one with Goku holding Gohan to confirm those lines in there?
I actually did have it, but then I discoverd Ebay... Iam looking around the internet but its such an old topic and Iam sure nobody but us cares about it so its kinda hard to find. :cry:

Update: I looked on one of my old Tenchi DVD's and found somthing pretty cool...

Two different Arrivals are listed. One is "Action" and one is "Youth". :shock: Also, I know Nathantheguitarist posted up a pic from a Pioneer DBZ DVD, but... I have a different one showing the two different covers...

Image:

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:39 pm

Now THATS interesting. Does that mean that they actually released the episodes that said "die" and "I smell death in the air" on VHS and DVD?

Wishful thinking. :wink:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:48 pm

Holy shit, I remember that all, now...

However, let's be honest... that "Youth" version never came to DVD, so it's up in the air whether or not (at this point with the proof we have) the "Youth" version came out on VHS. I mean, there are tons of SKUs for products that never see a release...

But this is all bringing back a flood of memories... it's a shame I'm not actually back in 1998 and coherent of what is happening :D.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Great podcast episode. All that talk about censorship brings me back to the nineties when each Power Ranger was an obvious connection to an actual race, but talk of death was a real no-no. Actually, I remember my local news talking about shows like Power Rangers being the reason why those TV ratings were given.

Even shows nowadays are still kinda hesitant using death. The creators of Avatar for example, stammered when they were about to mention death and instead said "passed on", on the commentary track.

As for that "next dimension" talk in early DBZ dubs, I thought it was just another expression for death and thought nothing else of it. I never knew people took it so literally.

Anyways, yep, this was a pretty interesting episode regardless of its erm... Julian-less.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:36 pm

However, let's be honest... that "Youth" version never came to DVD, so it's up in the air whether or not (at this point with the proof we have) the "Youth" version came out on VHS. I mean, there are tons of SKUs for products that never see a release...
Well, I know I had the "Action" VHS, I know for sure it had the original broadcast lines. But I know what you mean, one person with no proof really dosen't help the argument. :?

BTW... I think you meant to say ... that "Action" version never came to DVD.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:57 pm

Great Podcast! I'm not gonna lie but I prefer 2 person podcasts over the others, just easier to follow and stay with.
As far as the "World of DragonBall Z" feature is concerned, I'm a tad confused as to why FUNi didn't just redub those lines for the feature. They had already covered a few of them in flashbacks during actual episodes. I don't see how their contract with Pioneer would prevent them from using voices other than the Ocean Dub on their OWN release. Just lazy FUNi?
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:51 pm

Heh, this was an amusing little episode. I remember hearing about these changed lines a few times, so excellent job with the sound clips to go with everything.

I also took a look at the link to the toonzone forum post you put up...I gotta say, the fact that their sales with things doing THAT well was a surprise even to me :P

Maker777
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Maker777 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:06 am

I remember when I got into Naruto I found out a month later that it spawned 220-ish episodes and I was like.. :shock: Screw that but now I am a Naruto fan but this isn't a Naruto website so..I checked out those pics and I can remember seeing some of them befor and the Bobobob-bleh one is funny. Any waaaay great episode and do more stuff that enlightens and entertain people.
[b]Mr.Pedestrian[/b]
[url=http://www.users.on.net/~mateen/][b]Shnay Krew[/b][/url]
[url=http://mrpedestrian.deviantart.com/][b]DeviArt[/b][/url] || [url=http://www.myspace.com/_1_a][b]MySpace[/b][/url]

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:51 am

Great podcast.

As yes.. the days of the Ocean Dub. Having the first 4(5) episodes combined together to make a movie. I watched it and enjoyed it, oblivious to how many edits were done and things that were cut out.

And now I have season 1 with the top and bottom cut out! :x
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:03 pm

KillerCory wrote:Great podcast.

As yes.. the days of the Ocean Dub. Having the first 4(5) episodes combined together to make a movie. I watched it and enjoyed it, oblivious to how many edits were done and things that were cut out.
If you get the right footage you could sync the Uncensored Ocean audio with the uncensored video, making the right cuts where they need to be, and have an (almost) uncut uncensored Ocean dub.
­

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:12 pm

I heard it yesterday and I actually liked it. I remember the word "bully" being used so much early on... :x I actually own the arrival dvd (w/o Gohan) and they make the first few episodes seem like it was just one very long episode.

I might have the one second dvd somewhere but I'm not sure. I'm sure I posted this before but I there was a set of pioneer DVDs that went into Namek stuff (I believe) and went for $100.00. I didn't pick it up but I'm curious to know if that was a good deal or not. Also, I just caught the "9" on the site today!
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:43 pm

One quick question: 43:16 into the episode, right after Mike finishes babbling and Meri giggles, does she say "brain"? I can't figure what else it could be :?.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:56 am

At first I thought you were going to discuss the UU re-dub. I'd heard that some lines had been redubbed early on, but not to this extent.

I hereby rename this song 'Julian's Gone Skiing'...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p8XXFh0896o

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:00 am

In my last effort to look for the Gohan cover, I went to the Z-store. I didnt find what I was looking for but, did you know they still have the subtitled movies on video from Pioneer? :shock:

http://www.zstore.com/Detail.bok?no=750

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:48 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:In my last effort to look for the Gohan cover, I went to the Z-store. I didnt find what I was looking for but, did you know they still have the subtitled movies on video from Pioneer? :shock:

http://www.zstore.com/Detail.bok?no=750
That's awesome. I'm sure they still have a stock of the videos just sitting around. That was one of the problems in that era... sub VHS, dub VHS, hybrid DVD, and even hybrid LaserDisk... when you throw them all out there together at once (essentially), you're over-saturating the market for the same product.

Then again, the only ones I didn't purchase happened to be the LDs... because I'm a consumer whore...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:31 am

Mike, here's a tidbit of info that might interest you:
I recall reading years ago on Chris Psaros' site that there was actually an instance of a season 2 episode title being changed after the first broadcast, specifically the episode where Vegeta fights Recoome. I think it was, apparently, titled "The Relentless Recoome" the first time and then was changed to "No Refuge From Recoome" afterwards for whatever reason. I believe this was dub episode 51.

If Meri has the first broadcast of this episode recorded, could you maybe have her check to see if there is any truth to this?

Not that it's a big deal, but I'm curious whether or not a title change actually happened. If so, that's one odd change.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:23 am

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:Mike, here's a tidbit of info that might interest you:
I recall reading years ago on Chris Psaros' site that there was actually an instance of a season 2 episode title being changed after the first broadcast, specifically the episode where Vegeta fights Recoome. I think it was, apparently, titled "The Relentless Recoome" the first time and then was changed to "No Refuge From Recoome" afterwards for whatever reason. I believe this was dub episode 51.

If Meri has the first broadcast of this episode recorded, could you maybe have her check to see if there is any truth to this?

Not that it's a big deal, but I'm curious whether or not a title change actually happened. If so, that's one odd change.
Oh snap, I remember that episode title stuffage.

I've definitely got all the episodes recorded from their first broadcast after a certain point in season one, and Meri does as well.... so between the two of us, I'm sure we could find it.

I've kinda installed Ubuntu on the old computer with the video capture card, so I don't know that I'd actually be able to use it to take screen-shots of anything right now... :P. The new computer's running XP Media Center, though, and probably has a capture card in here... it's got everything else under the fucking sun...

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:21 pm

Thirty episodes later, Namek'jin Ryu is back, commenting on a Podcast. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either, I was interested in finding out which Podcast I listened to last (besides the 1 year episode) and it was #0036 back in July. I had no idea it had been that long since I last commented one.

I have to say I really enjoyed the comparison's between FUNimation's 1996 dubbing and then the 1998 dubbing. Which I have to say I would much rather have had the entire DragonBall series dubbed by the '96 group. I think it fits DragonBall Z a lot better, especially the voices. The one I most typically liked was Master Roshi's. It made him sound so much more mature, even though we know that inside he is a perverted old man. Another thing I liked was the dialogue. "I smell death in the air." Simply awesome.

------------------------------

And a little off-topic here, but I like the minor changes to the Main Page. Nine years now, congradulations and I hope you guys have many more!
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm