Episode #0069 (18 March 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0069 (18 March 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:01 am

Episode #0069 (download MP3)
64:41; 64 kbps, mono; 29.6 MB

Episode #0069! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss the Japanese DragonBall music you can find on iTunes. From exclusive remixes to the "2005 version" CD singles, there is a good deal of music you can pick up on the cheap! News, releases, and your e-mails (including a discussion regarding an apparently well-known parody clip involving something with a "nine" and a "thousand" in it) round out the episode. Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the sexually-stimulating *sixty-nine* episodes, now.

Julian's here! And in person! Well, he was... when we recorded... stuff... Ahem, anyway... So here you go! Hopefully we covered all the stuff Damon was looking for in his voice mail from last week (or January... take your pick :P), and hopefully you'll all find some interesting perspectives in our various discussions.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:10 am

Looking forward to listening to this episode. Always wanted to get some of the stuff on Itunes. It can come in handy to be able to download DBZ music legally whenever i need a certain track. And i was wondering when you'll mention the famous 9000 clip. :D
Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Jump Ultimate Stars (DS).
Currently obsessed with: Death Note, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Busou Renkin

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:41 am

Well, I was really curious about your guys' thoughts on the 9000 clip, so I haven't heard the rest of the episode yet. Oddly enough, I found out about the clip through a friend who is a less than casual fan of the series. And it's also kinda strange how it's actually gotten so popular. There've even been re-makes of it, as well as videos made with other old dubs (like when Vegeta says "Do you understaaaaand?").

Personally, I think the video's funny. Then again, I'm one of the only teenagers I know who still watches Nickelodeon :roll:.

(continues listening) ... Why does Julian keep waving at you, Mike?

Anyways, I'll leave more of my thoughts once I've gone back and listened to the episode. And on a side note, today (er I guess tonight) was Toonami's 10th anniversary. Amazingly, they actually did little segments before the commercial break of a show showing their history through the years and (of course) there were a couple of clips from the Saiyan Saga during the thing. So yeah, it's always good to know that Toonami still acknowledges one of the big shows that made them better known.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:59 am

Well, well, well! Episode 69 was pretty intriguing to me, personally I'm most likely just going to acquire the CD's, itunes really isn't one of my favourite programs. As for the 9000 video, I found that pretty dull, because I already know about it, and it really 'aint that funny. :?

Julian's seems excited this episode, his little waving, bless him.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:16 am

I totally forgot Toonami's birthday was today. I saw they were playing some movie so I just changed the channel. ^_^;;

I have yet to listen to the podcast (will do that tomorrow) but I have to admit I'm one of the few people who just doesn't get the "9000" joke. The only reason it got popular was cuz the guy who makes VGCats put a link to it on his main page (which is ironically where I first found out about it).

It's odd, I usually laugh really easily at things too....

If you check YouTube, fans with videocameras are now forcing Mr. Sabat to recite that line, even though it wasn't even his. XD (It's Drummond in the "9000" clip.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Well, I'm not much of a fan for these remixes, but it's good to know that these songs are actually available on iTunes. Now, if they had stuff like the Hit Song Collections up, then I'd definitely get some of those. But as it is now, I'd actually prefer getting the Yu Yu Hakusho songs that are up on iTunes instead that I found when I clicked the whole"Listeners Also Bought" option. I figured I've already got enough versions of HEAD CHA-LA that I could handle.

The whole thing with Cell pointing to his head, but pointing to himsef in general is pretty interesting. It sure settles that whole nucleus discussion.

As for the whole 9000 video influencing FUNi's packaging, I agree that the packaging couldn't have been influenced. But they figured they could hype up the set even more, so they slapped on that "over 900 minutes" sticker on the set at the last minute.

And on another sidenote, I think TOM's new face looks a lot like Thomas the Tank Engine's...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:35 pm

Julian sounds so much clearer! Awesome.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:41 pm

To counterbalance that, I didn't know what Digg was until you guys first spoke about it :P

DaftBrian

A series of Tubes

Post by DaftBrian » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:08 pm

Mike goes to the Doctors with Meri. Hilarity ensues:

Doctor: "Well Mike, getting mad about the internet is a bad idea"

Mike: "How bad?"

Doctor: "Its just a fad. Laugh it up before the stress kills you"

Mike: "I'm not that old"

Doctor: "Your blood pressure results came in"

Mike: "...and?"

Doctor: "ITS OVER 9,000"

Meri: "O RLY?"

Doctor: "YA RLY!"

Mike: *twitch *boom* ::dead::
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:48 pm

Hee, It's funny when you talk about. I think the reason they like 9000 is because they think the line was overacted to the EXTREME.
I put the redub version up and they clearly hate how the OVER 9000!!! Isn't as loud.
Eh, but you know, cool show.
Some of those songs sounded neat
[url=http://phred.thegreatbeyond.net]Comix Productions[/url]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:00 am

I don't get the internet either. :?

*gets cane and puts dentures away*

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:37 am

Nice podcast. Yeah, I know about the "9000" thing too. Don't find it as funny as my friends do but still know about it. Now that I think of it, when Julian mentioned Ms. Nozawa doing Dr. Kureha, friend/mentor to the Ikue Otani-voiced Chopper made me realize that the actresses behind 2 of the most known anime characters were in the same series.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:40 am

Julian saying 'b-tards' made me laugh. :)

The scum of the internet go to fester at 4chan, but they go to die at YTMND. :lol:

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:38 am

I liked the episode with the exception of the topic. I found the music to be really unappealing. But thanks for the research work, anyways! :D

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:12 am

Super Sonic wrote:Nice podcast. Yeah, I know about the "9000" thing too. Don't find it as funny as my friends do but still know about it. Now that I think of it, when Julian mentioned Ms. Nozawa doing Dr. Kureha, friend/mentor to the Ikue Otani-voiced Chopper made me realize that the actresses behind 2 of the most known anime characters were in the same series.
I was surprised when I learned Ikue Ootani was over 50 years old, with a voice as naturally high as hers XD;

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:14 am

MisterFlashdude wrote:Julian saying 'b-tards' made me laugh. :)

The scum of the internet go to fester at 4chan, but they go to die at YTMND. :lol:

qft. I also laughed.

Honestly though, Mike, I think I'm of the same internet generation as you.. I remember when finding video on the internet was amazing and awesome and never happened due to the state of the technology. But I still laugh at internet jokes and viral videos, because, well, they're funny! Lighten up.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:18 am

Heh heh heh - Mike said "sixty-nine"... heh heh heh...

Anyway, sounds like you had a nice time doing the music topic segment this time.

The Dan Dan remix you mentioned was pretty good... I have a different remix of that song that sounds very happy hardcore. (Was that the bizarre remix you referred to?) But yours is pretty good too... Germans singing in Japanese is just as neat as me singing in Latin and German in my high school chamber choir way back when.

The Moe remixes from Disc 1 sounded very "meh", as you mentioned. Even the "We Gotta Power" remix was meh - granted the excerpt you played didn't really remind me of the song, but it just sounded quite meh. However, the Disc 2 remixes were very intriguing --- when I heard the Makafushigi remix, I swear it reminded me of the theme from TPiR (The Price is Right)! It just begs to be remixed with "Come on Down" by Crystal Waters, but it might sound a little difficult considering one's in F Minor and the other in F Major.

The prices for those remixes you recommended sounds like a pretty sweet deal indeed. This is pretty good considering that these CDs are a little hard to come by via other avenues, such as brick-and-mortar stores, amazon.com, et al. It sure took a long while to transition onto the Top 5 segment (which made a nice cameo appearance return this week, and I'm glad for that!), and you made some good recommendations.

Where can we find other remixes of DB/DBZ/GT remixes that can't be found on iTunes or the Hit Song Collections/Compilation CDs (as found on your Music database)?

Also, curiously, why is the title "We Gotta Power" when the lyrics sound clearly like "We Got Power"?

Considering the "It's Over 9000" thing: Of course since you grew up on the Ocean Group English dub first, you'd prefer their English dub and their delivery, but I thought Brian Drummond overdid his "It's Over 9000" and just sounded overdramatic, which is pretty much how and why Scott from the webcomic VG Cats pointed that line out in his blog one day last year and linked to this viral video, and then it caught wildfire shortly thereafter. Chris Sabat's delivery is a little more frustrated ("It's over 9000, argh!") and at least it matches the mouthflaps better. Regardless, I am surprised it took you this long to discover the "It's Over 9000" video clip. However, I'm not surprised that you probably don't know about the more recent DBZ Internet meme/video clip of Chris Sabat (as Piccolo) stating "The balls are inert". I don't think it's much of a generational gap (I'm 32 myself and found it mildly amusing) insofar as it is just certain cliques of people not associating with other certain cliques of people, so don't sweat it if it seems like you're the last ones to know about these clips.

And... VegettoEX is John C. Dvorak? Julian is Alaska Senator Ted Stevens? OMG what's this podcast coming to? Well, it's coming to the end of another fine episode apparently.... Music power forever!
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Brakus wrote:Considering the "It's Over 9000" thing: Of course since you grew up on the Ocean Group English dub first, you'd prefer their English dub and their delivery, but I thought Brian Drummond overdid his "It's Over 9000" and just sounded overdramatic, which is pretty much how and why Scott from the webcomic VG Cats pointed that line out in his blog one day last year and linked to this viral video, and then it caught wildfire shortly thereafter. Chris Sabat's delivery is a little more frustrated ("It's over 9000, argh!") and at least it matches the mouthflaps better. Regardless, I am surprised it took you this long to discover the "It's Over 9000" video clip. However, I'm not surprised that you probably don't know about the more recent DBZ Internet meme/video clip of Chris Sabat (as Piccolo) stating "The balls are inert". I don't think it's much of a generational gap (I'm 32 myself and found it mildly amusing) insofar as it is just certain cliques of people not associating with other certain cliques of people, so don't sweat it if it seems like you're the last ones to know about these clips.
I know VegettoEX was atleast aware of it before this podcast, having read over it several times on the forum, and admitting he has no idea what we're talking about. :lol: The most amusing video I've seen is Piccolo singing 'I'm a cucumber', the VA having been requested to sing the song in Piccolo's voice at a convention. :lol:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:04 pm

Kirbopher wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:Nice podcast. Yeah, I know about the "9000" thing too. Don't find it as funny as my friends do but still know about it. Now that I think of it, when Julian mentioned Ms. Nozawa doing Dr. Kureha, friend/mentor to the Ikue Otani-voiced Chopper made me realize that the actresses behind 2 of the most known anime characters were in the same series.
I was surprised when I learned Ikue Ootani was over 50 years old, with a voice as naturally high as hers XD;
Read she was a decade younger. Almost met her at a con, but I missed her. Had my strategy guide ready for her to sign too.

Back on topic, yeah I heard Mr. Sabat making jokes about te "9000" thing. His iteration of the line I admit wasn't as overdramatic as Mr. Drummond's but nice.

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:44 pm

Hello. i listened to the podcast and as always i learn something new, so thank you. Keep up the good work. Also, i have never heard (until now) this 9000 clip. i watched it and i thought it was dumb.
Last edited by mysteriousdbzgt on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile