"Mafuba" and "Denshi Jar"

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

"Mafuba" and "Denshi Jar"

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 30, 2004 12:28 pm

An "Ask" came up pondering the meanings of "Mafuba" and "Denshi." Julian's not around this weekend (as far as I know), soooo... Rach, Steve... anyone who's around... wanna help me out?

I mean, I know the very BASIC meanings of the words, but I'm no expert in explaining things.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun May 30, 2004 2:55 pm

Mafuuba consists of ma (demon/evil/magic), fuu (seal away/contain), and ba (wave). Add it all up, and you get something like "Demon Containment Wave". For what it's worth, the ba in Mafuuba is the same as the ha in Kamehameha, and the pa in Dodonpa.

Denshi just means "electron", but when paired with another word, it becomes "electronic". There is probably some significance to calling it an "Electronic Jar", but personally, I don't quite understand the relevance. Maybe Steve or Julian would know.

Hope that is helpful enough. :D

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Sun May 30, 2004 10:58 pm

TripleRach wrote:Mafuuba consists of ma (demon/evil/magic), fuu (seal away/contain), and ba (wave). Add it all up, and you get something like "Demon Containment Wave". For what it's worth, the ba in Mafuuba is the same as the ha in Kamehameha, and the pa in Dodonpa.

Denshi just means "electron", but when paired with another word, it becomes "electronic". There is probably some significance to calling it an "Electronic Jar", but personally, I don't quite understand the relevance. Maybe Steve or Julian would know.

Hope that is helpful enough. :D
I can't add anythng to Rach's Mafuuba explanation.

And the only times I've seen "Denshi Jar" is when describing those rice pressure cookers with the locking tops.

(Side note: While they all have computer timers and displays now, it puzzles me why they would be Denshi (electronic) jars, rather than Denki (electric) jars. After all, there are no transistors in the heating element itself, right? I mean, unless you use gas, you have an electric stove, not an electronic one. "Denshi ranges" excepted.)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon May 31, 2004 1:20 pm

Well, Americans put gas into their cars, even though it's quite clearly a liquid. Could it just be a language quirk like that?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon May 31, 2004 2:45 pm

We put gasoline into our cars, but just call it gas for short. Although, I wonder how many people here actually realize that...

But hmm, I've heard that the first Denshi Jar that appears is supposed to resemble one of those rice cookers. (The second one is just a little bottle.) I've never actually seen one myself, though. I generally just use a frying pan.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 31, 2004 2:59 pm

Well in they're defense, CO2 and other pollutants come OUT of the car as gas...
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 31, 2004 3:03 pm

Rach: Yeah, the first denshi jar WAS a pressure cooker. In the 23rd budoukai, it was just a bottle that had no name, so I'm assuming somebody called it the same thing since it did the same job as the first "jar".
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.