Nippon Ijin Taisho 2007

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Nippon Ijin Taisho 2007

Post by Taku128 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:27 am

I was browsing my subscriptions today on youtube and found a video titled Dragon Ball Original Anime Nippon Ijin Taisho 2007. The video is a tournament with four contestants that takes place at the Tenkaichi Budokai, and the commentors are Goku and some other guy. The animation looks like a cross between One Piece and Dragon Ball Z, or atleast in my opinion it does. I'm not sure what exactly it was for, as the description is vague. Also, halfway through the video Goku promotes the new Dragon Ball DVDs, which I found hillarious.
­

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:44 am

Those guys just broke every conceivable rule in the book... :?

I think it's a tribute to Japan's greatest legends:

Saito Musashibo Benkei

Himiko

Amakusa Shiro

Shotoku Taishi
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:04 am

Interesting. Is it just me or were they using Dragon Ball BGM? (Or very similar BGM?).
Strange video that's for sure. Still, what was it for?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:08 am

I am most certainly intrigued... I can't wait until more information on this surfaces... Awesome video and thanks for the link!

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:45 am

Eclipse wrote:Strange video that's for sure. Still, what was it for?
The video's description says Nippon Ijin Taisho translates to "Japan Great Men Awards", so I guess its for some kind of award that's awarded to great men.
­

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:00 am

That was very entertaining. XD I especially liked how Prince Shotoku was using Goku's "shunkan idou" and how even after getting killed, he came back as a spirit and defeated Benkei.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:42 am

Even though I generally prefer to wait for something in Japanese to be subbed before I watch it, I couldn't resist this, it was just awesome for so many reasons! It was funny, intriguing, and just plain classic; Goku pimping those DB DVDs alone is reason enough. It was so great to see Masako Nazowa reprise her role for this special, given her age and the fact the video games have been recycling her dialogue recordings of her characters from older releases, it was such a treat getting new stuff of her as Goku. I just loved this whole thing, the fanboy in me honestly made me tear up just seeing Goku smile and do commentary on the Kinto'Un.
Jerseymilk wrote:Her post
Ya' know, that female character in the first battle really resembled you IMO, Jers. It'd kick ass if you cosplayed as her for a one-time day at a convention. ^_^
14 years later

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:06 am

That was really good, I want to see more hehe
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:53 am

Watching the video now. Posting up some thoughts as I go.

-It appears this is a tournament for the mightiest "great person" throughout all of Japan's history.

-Ringside announcer is Masaharu Miyake, an announcer for Fuji TV. Goku provides guest commentary.

-First Match: Benkei vs. Himiko. Benkei was a warrior-monk who, through a series of matches, collected the swords of 999 opponents, before being defeated by Minamoto no Yoshitsune, who took him on as a retainer. He fought on the side of the Minamoto Clan in the Genpei War against the Taira Clan, as recounted in the Heike Monogatari. Himiko's origins are shrouded in obscurity - the first reference to her is in a Chinese text about the people of Wo (Wa, or Yamataikoku, or Yamato-no-Kuni), in which she figures as the Priestess-Queen of a group of fragmented clans. Some believe her to be the human basis for legends of Amaterasu, while others point to her as evidence that early Japanese society was possibly matrilineal. Nobody really knows for sure.

-Second Match: Prince Shotoku vs. Amakusa Shiro. Prince Shotoku was the Japanese ruler largely credited with the introduction of Buddhism and Chinese-style political and legal organization to Japan. He is credited in this match with being able to follow the separate conversations of 12 people talking at once, as well as the ability to hover tens of meters above the ground (both abilities likely culled from the Kojiki and/or Nihon Shoki). Amakusa Shiro was a leader of the Shimabara Rebellion, a failed uprising of mostly-Christian peasants against the Tokugawa Shogunate. His ability to understand languages he had never seen or heard before, as well as walking on water, are both pretty stereotypical abilities attributed to Christian converts by their proponents, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Jesuit monks promoting Christianity in Japan told people that he could do exactly those things.

-Heh, nice plug for the Dragon Ball individual DVDs in the middle, there.

-Third Match: Benkei vs. Prince Shotoku Benkei was said to be proficient with the Naginata, while his "hip drop" is a reference to the legend that a rock he sat on bears the impression of his hindquarters. The end of the fight is a reference to the story that Benkei died standing up. By the same token, Prince Shotoku was said to have been able to move so fast that no one could see him. He also is said to have had the ability to separate his spirit from his body and fly around. (Seriously, people actually believed this stuff at one time.)

Huh. That was shorter than I expected.
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:18 pm

Wow, I love the character designs. Goku looks awesome.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:26 pm

Its amazing how Masako Nozawa is still doing Goku after over 20 years. Even Mickey Mouse has changed Voice Actors.

Snail

Post by Snail » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:36 pm

This was absolutely great. Great find.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:05 pm

I saw this a couple hours ago while wandering YouTube; I really enjoyed it.

But I'm happy to see any newly-animated dbz, even if its a short history-lesson like this.
I love the idea of Goku as a Tenkaichi Budoukai announcer/commentator; like how so many other athletes end up as announcers for the sport they used to play.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:20 am

Nice. Did Akira Toriyama do the characters design? Seems like his style of drawing...
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:32 am

That was nice. Very nice.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:00 am

Nice video! Thanks for the analysis Julain.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:36 am

Dude, if there is another DragonBall Z movie, the animation needs to be in this style. This is PERFECT for DragonBall, Son Goku looked AWESOME.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:28 am

KaiserNeko wrote:Dude, if there is another DragonBall Z movie, the animation needs to be in this style. This is PERFECT for DragonBall, Son Goku looked AWESOME.
Can't say I agree.
I very much prefer him DBZ style.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:35 am

sangofe wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:Dude, if there is another DragonBall Z movie, the animation needs to be in this style. This is PERFECT for DragonBall, Son Goku looked AWESOME.
Can't say I agree.
I very much prefer him DBZ style.
But......it *is* in DBZ style...... :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Interesting. It seems like something School House Rock would do today to make history more interesting. And yeah, Julian's explanations sure helped out. I wouldn't have gotten any of those references otherwise.

sidenote: Yay! Not only is Goku in it, but so is Mr. Announcerguy!
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams